1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which chip is better for back-ups?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by chuj666, Feb 20, 2003.

1. chuj666

chuj666 Member

Magic chip v2.7 or 3U? which one has the best tendency of working?

2. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

Interesting, I've never heard of either one. Get a magic 3.1. They are very cheap and do everything that the more expensive messiah2 will do.

3. Annihilon

Annihilon Guest

True, but overall the Messiah is known for working with everything. If you look at these forum boards you will find the vast majority of issues with mod chips are coming from people with Magics installed. If installed correctly a Messiah 2 is without doubt the best of the two. However, as bluebus says, they are more expensive and more difficult to install.

4. jr_

jr_ Guest

The Messiah 2 is definitly the best design.
    For most systems the Magic 3.1 works just as well but that is not true for all PS2's
    It is very common to have to try the reset several times to get the Magic to work.
    China-Magic even publishes an alternate point for W if "DVD NO BOOT". This seems to indicate to me that the design is marginal.

I think it may well be true that the Magic just won't work on some PS2's but I have no proof or personal experience to back that up.

I have installed 3 Magic 3.1's on V7's and they all work fine. So the odds are probably in your favor if you want to use a Magic 3.1

The Messiah 2 didn't seem any harder to install than a Magic 3.1 maybe a tiny bit more soldering but nothing new or more difficult.

5. marine98

marine98 Member

quick question, about how much does each one cost?

6. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

I have a messiah 2 pro and all I can say is, “It IS flawless”. I have not had a bad backup yet! I did loose one though; I think it rolled under the bed! Can’t really see it though? Must be under there somewhere! Guess I will burn another one.

7. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

Not saying that either the magic or messiah modchips are better(I don't have either) but from what I have read, most of the people in this forum use a magic modchip. The messiah may work flawlessly, but it is more expensive(sometimes prohibitably so) than the competing magics and seem to be more complicated to install. Perhaps more messiah owners have less problems because they have read that they will have to know how to solder so they prepare and do the job correctly, as opposed to those who buy the magic3.xxx(who the hell knows how many versions there are now) with the clip, thinking that the installation will be easy and that their lack of skills in soldering wont matter.

Once more, I am not choosing sides, I am not saying that person A with modchip X is better that person B with modchip Y, just that when more people use a certain product there are bound to be more problems found with it.

8. tigress

tigress Guest

I have the Magic 3.1u and I have not had any problems with it. I cant speak for the Messiah, but from the opinions ive read on this site and others, it is a great chip, but as msb5150 said, it is more expensive. If you want a no swap mod, I dont think you can go wrong with either (Magic 3.1u or Messiah 2 Pro that is)