1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which cleaners do you use on your media?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Synthetix, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

When you have a scratched/smudged disk, what cleaners, or cleaning systems do you use on your dvd's? I saw one at wal-mart, a combo of a lens and disk dvd/cd cleaner, think it was phillips brand. Does the lens cleaner also work on the DVD-drives, or is it for stand alones only?

Or what cleaning systems do you recommend for dirty/scratched disks? Thanx

2. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

This is by far the cheapest method of cleaning smodges off a disk, take hand and and put fingertips in shirt and wipe in small circular patern. Works every time for me when my lil one gets ahold of one.

3. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

I really don't wanna risk getting more scratches. I've always used this method, and on some disks, I have made fine scratches by taking the smudges off. What cleaning tools do you all recommend? There's this one that you put in a cd player looking case, and you spin the disk. Does this work?

4. gamename

gamename Regular member

mild cleanser with lint free cloth. i use 90% alcohol with kimberly clark wipes (lint free). u can find the alcohol at walmart and maybe the wipes too. if not they should sell them at lowes. i get them from where i work,we use them to clean the laser lenses.

5. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

I use the eye glass cleaning wipe from Sams Club for cleaning eyeglasses as well as DVDs. A second choice would be the spray on "Professional Lens Cleaner" available from Sams to clean eyeglasses, camera lens etc., but must supply your own lens cleaner cloth (usaully get one with binocculars or camera).

6. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

The only thing I have every used is an eye glass lens cleaning cloth.
    About 3 bucks I think - seems to last forever - very soft.

7. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

If you simply want to remove dust, dirt, and fingerprints and you have a Big Lots store near you, look in the dept. that has keyboards, cd cases, and other media stuff. I found a micro-fibre cd/dvd cleaning cloth for $1. It can be washed when needed and can be used hundreds of times. Works great for me! It's made by Discwasher.

@ uponthis
    Never wipe in a circular motion. Always wipe from the center outward in a straight line. Just a helpful hint ;-).

8. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I've used Maxell CD wipes, but they actually leave fine scratches on my media! I will used a damp cloth if the smudges are not too bad, but will rinse with soap and cold water if it's worse. Dry quickly, especially around the hub. I'm trusting that the good discs I own are hermetically sealed to keep even oxygen out.
    BTW, about the circular motion when wiping. I ran tests on my bad burns such as subjecting them to severe heat and scratches to see how much damage would render them unreadable. I cut deep scratches all the way from the center out to the edge and the DVD still worked. When I made circular scratches, the DVDs were unreadable. (BTW, don't try this at home. If you warp your DVDs and put them in your drive, it's possible they could flutter and explode in your drive.)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  9. wensteph

wensteph Member

Alcohol medical wipes for me, but I like the idea of the cleaning cloths from Sams or Big Lots in the previous posts.

10. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I bought the phillips cleaning kit from WalMart, and it works great. I used the cleaning solution several times on really kid grimed disks and it cleaned them right up. I then backed up the movies and the dvd reader was ripping at max 16x, whatever it is good.

11. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

(Data is recorded from the center hub to the outside, and the critical INF and BUP files are often on the inner most tracks). Manage to cleverly destroy the INF & BUP files and the DVD is "history".

Wiping a dvd in a circular motion has a greater chance of damaging a sequential (linear)string of data such as what is mentioned above. Wiping a dvd from hub towards the outer edge is least likely to cripple a dvd as if a scratch does occur, the scratch is at a right angle to the data stream thus not affecting a large amount of data at one given time.

12. hijacker

hijacker Guest

Isopopyl Alcohol or water.Some discs have an oil film that can cause the disc video to block up.Clean with a soft cloth.

13. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

to clean - a spray of windex, a splash of water from the faucet, and wipe clean.

I use toothpaste as an abrasive to remove scratches.