1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which compression to select

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by CCEncoder, Aug 24, 2004.

1. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

Hi, I'm trying to extract a portion of a mpg1 video applying some filters B&W using virtualdub however on the video tab everything is fine epcept that I don't know which compression to use! I assume I could use the same one the video is already using but so which one it is? if I just leave it by default will it encode with its codec or will it be uncompressed?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Virtual-Dub will Not compress to Mpeg1...It only supports AVI formats...
    What are you Planning to do with the Video???
    VCD?? DVD?? CD-R??

If you just want to save it as a Small file then select DivX or Microsoft Mpeg-4 or XVID with a Bitrate of about 750-1000kbs....

If you Plan on Makeing a VCD or DVD out of the File then you should save it as a Uncompressed AVI file or useing the HuffYUV codec because there is no quality loss with Huffyuv or Uncompressed but they take up huge ammounts of disk space...
    After saveing as an AVI file you can just encode the AVI file to the desired format for VCD or DVD useing something like Tmpgenc...

3. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

I have an AVI Alien Autopsy - Roswell.avi and virtualdub can't open it well it does but it says:

The source image format is not acceptable. what should I do to fix it and reencode it?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Usually v-Dub will only give you that message if either you don"t have the correct Codec ,Or if the file isn"t really and AVI file or if the File is Corrupted....

If it"s corrupted and nothing can open it them the File is probably too far gone...If you can get something to open it then use it to re-encode it if possible....

5. VidLurker

VidLurker Member

Actually VirtualDub will not compress anything, it uses system codecs that will compress video and audio. Now have said that there is a codec to compress to mpeg 1 and 2, ympeg (www.ympeg.com). The freeware version will allow you to compress from VirtualDub to mpeg1.

Also VirtualDub does support opening mpeg1 files, mpeg2 needs VirtualDubMod.

Just thought I mention it passing :)

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well actually Virtual-Dub does open Mpeg-1 files but not Mpeg-2 files unless you use the Mpeg2 version of Virtual-Dub which is just a slightly modified version of the Regular Virtual-Dub accept that it can open Mpeg-2 files and Vob files and Read dolby AC3 audio in Mpeg2 files...

You can get it here:

http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/VirtualDub-MPEG2.zip

If you add filters or change the Properties of the Video then Virtual-Dub must Re-compress the File but if you are doing simply cutting and Joining then you can set it to "Direct stream copy" and it will not recompress the files....