1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which computer would be better?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gibbey531, May 22, 2007.

1. gibbey531

gibbey531 Member

I'm going to get a new PC for college and i want it to last for a while too. I've mainly been looking at tigerdirect.com and i found 2 pc's: HP Pavilion s7600n Refurbished Desktop PC and the Gateway GT5228 AMD Refurbished Desktop PC. I know both of these computers are pretty good and offer their own strenghts, but i look at the gateway and it's 2gb ram. But for about $200 more. I would just like to know if i would be able to buy the slim pc(mainly for how small it is, fit in dorm!!!) and upgrade the 512 ram to 1 gb or even 2 if possible. some input would be nice especially from people who have used one pc or the other. thanks

2. flyingv

flyingv Guest

There are alot of other thing to look at in the big picture here. If everything else is similar then I'd save myself the money and just upgrade the 2nd system. It is very easy to do and and will probally save you $100 bucks or so.

3. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

gibbey531 try posting links to the comps! Many of us dont have the time to google it for you!

4. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Telling by that statement;;imho I think you should just build your own computer. It's easy and you know whats all going into it and you learn a thing in the process;)

5. flyingv

flyingv Guest

Building your own IS probally the best way. There are pleanty of resources out there to help you and you always have the guys here at AD to help you out if you need it.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I am guessing these are the two Computers?
    HP Pavillion s7600n
    Gateway GT5228

Lets compare
    HP
    CPU
    AMD 64 3500+
    Gateway
    AMD 64x2 4200+
    RAM
    HP
    512MB DDR support 2GB
    Gateway
    2GB DDR (PC4200)supports 4GB
    Hard Drive
    HP
    200GB SATA
    Gateway
    250GB SATA II
    Optical Drives
    HP
    DL DVD/RW W/light Scribe
    Gateway
    DL DVD/RW
    Additional
    Both
    Multi media card reader
    Video
    HP
    Not Listed
    Gateway
    NVIDIA GeForce 6100
    Op System
    Both
    Windows XP Media Center

By looking at these and you saying you want them to last a while then the Gateway would be the way to go because of expandability. You will really be limited with what you can do to the HP.

Pro's and Con's
    Gateway Pro's
    Bigger Hard Drive
    Larger Processor
    More Memory
    Better Optical drive
    Gateway Con's
    Video on board (but you do have PCI Exp X16 Slot for upgrade)
    No wireless card (again can be upgraded easily)
    Price (It is 200$ more)
    HP Pro's
    Price
    Portability
    Light Scribe DVD/RW
    Wireless LAN
    HP CON's
    Not much to upgrade. you are limited to no free PCI slots
    The DVD/RW is a slim line (laptop type) Not good
    Less Memory (1.5 GB less) Roughly 100$ more to upgrade
    Stuck with on board graphics. (That probably isn't to good)

All in all neither of these systems are outstanding, but they will both work I guess the main question here is what exactly do you want to be able to do with either of these systems? Neither company gets good reviews for cutomer support so thats a crap shoot as well. Have you checked Dells website to see what they offer? I think you can get a Dimension for around the same price as these with a 17" monitor and there support is much better than any of these. Also you are getting a new computer not a re-furbished one.

Last edited: May 23, 2007