1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which divx dvd player is the best

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by narukid66, Oct 19, 2005.

1. narukid66

narukid66 Guest

i am plannong on buying the Phillips DVP642 but i hear there are also a lot of better and werse divx players. Please list the best divx plaeyer on the market. pros and cons of the player would also be appreciated

thanx

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

For the price, the Philips DVP642 is hard to beat .. certainly you could find much better CD players, but ya gotta cough up the cash

If I wasn't married to a sensible lady I'd buy this in a heartbeat  http://www.bigdealtv.com/productview.aspx?ID=693

3. gear79

gear79 Guest

4. SuckRaven

SuckRaven Member

Does the DVP642 or the LG play dual layer DVD's? ..... + or - ? And if yes, how well does it make the transition between layers? Does it lag/hang/skip/stall/dance/blow up/make coffee? =)

5. gear79

gear79 Guest

every pressed dvd that is dual layer will say so on the cover and i quote "layer transistion may induce a slight pause"
    there is nothing you can do about that, but i will add with my current dvd player, there is a pause, but it is so slight, you hardly notice it unless you are really paying attention, but your audio equipment, if any , will emphasize the pause. my old home theater did it big time, but my new yammy does not skip a beat. it slides right through, i guess results will vary. my LG plays all with no problems thus far... but i know it has a higher price tag on it then the phillips, but i dont think that the phillips had HDMI upconversion.
    hope this helps

6. catfreak

catfreak Active member

As far as playing burned DL DVDs .. I haven't tried DVD-R DL but the Philips plays DVD+R DL discs (both booktyped to DVD-ROM and non-booktyped) no problem .. and the layer transition is not noticable at all with the burned discs ...

7. SuckRaven

SuckRaven Member

Thanks guys... This really helps. I might soon have to look into purchasing one of these players. The upconversion feature is really nice, so I may end up going with that one.

8. SuckRaven

SuckRaven Member

ok. right now, i'm looking at the Oppo OPDV971H

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-...earch&articles=122#Oppo DigitalOPDV971H (DVI)

it's up there in price ($199.00), but it has a lot of neat features:

Overview:

DVI (Digital Video Interface) output to eliminate flickers and to produce more clear pictures

High resolutions include 480p, 540P, 576p, 720p, 1080i
    Up Convert from 480i to 720p/1080i
    DCDi by Faroudja. Video is analyzed on a single pixel granularity to detect presence or absence of angled lines and edges, which are then processed to produce a smooth natural looking image without visible artifacts (jaggies)
    Plays DivX® 5, DivX® 4, DivX® 3, and DivX® VOD video content (in compliance with DivX Certified™ technical requirements)
    Plays XviD and .SRT, .SMI, .IDX and .SUB formats
    Per-pixel Motion Adaptive De-interlacing
    Patented FilmMode Processing C Used for proper de-interlacing of 3:2 and 2:2 pull down material

Functions:
    DVD Video/Audio, Divx/MPEG4, VCD, SVCD, CD, HDCD, WMA, DVDR/RW, CD-R/RW, Kodak Picture
    Super Error Correction with Twin Laser and Intelligent Laser Wavelength Control
    PAL / NTSC discs
    Automatic Screensaver
    Menu Driven Setup Screen
    Playability of self-recorded discs may vary depending on media and formatting software types

Video:
    108MHz/12bit Video D/A Converter
    DVI Output
    NTSC / PAL Output
    Screen Aspect Ratio 4:3 and 16:9
    Smart Video: Sharpness/Contrast/Brightness/Saturation
    Multi-Angled View
    Multi-Language for On-Screen-Display

Audio:
    192 KHz Sampling Frequency, 24-Bit High Quality Audio DAC
    Dolby Digital Down-mixed 2-Ch Stereo (L. R)
    Built-in Dolby digital Decoder, Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 Channel Output
    Built-in DTS Digital Decoder, DTS 5.1 Channel Output
    Dolby Digital/DTS/LCPM Bitstream Output
    3D Surround (Virtual Surround): Concert, Live, Dance, Techno, Classic, Soft

Power Supply:
    ~~110V - ~~250V, 50Hz/60Hz AC Universal Power Supply
    Automatic Short Circuit Protection

Connectors:
    Analog (Mixed 2 Ch) Stereo (Left, Right) Audio
    S/PDIF (IEC-958) Coaxial/Optical Digital Audio
    Component Video/Composite Video/S-Video
    DVI (5' DVI-DVI-D cable included)
    Bonus: 6' DVI-HDMI cable (available only to customers ordering directly from our store)
    5.1 Channel Audio

http://www.oppodigital.com/
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    it got "a score of 94 in our benchmark, which is only second to the Denon DVD-5910" but that is a $3,500 player (sweet crap !!!) so...ummmh....no on that one.

let me know what you guys think.

"As you can see from the Benchmark scores, the 971H is an outstanding budget DVD player. But I must advise you that the scores only pertain to the DVI output. This player’s component outputs do not support progressive playback, only 480i, so we were not able to plot a video frequency response curve. I was quite surprised, because I’ve never seen this before. The DVI video board in the player houses the Genesis FLI-2310 video processing chip, so the component video connections cannot take advantage of it." from:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-...earch&articles=122#Oppo DigitalOPDV971H (DVI)

9. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Looks like a bargain for $200 .. only problem I see is that it won't play 16:9 .. pretty weird

10. gear79

gear79 Guest

and it had a dvi output, not HDMI
    unless your tv has either input, dvi or hdmi, it is pointless to get an upconversion dvd player. although that Faroudja. chip is a nice feature. 200 is a tad high, but if your budget allows, go for it. unless you need all that format for playing, which i doubt, there are others that play the majority of it, for less, but its your choice.

@catfreak........ love the new sig.... i love that show... too bad Six was not real !!

11. SuckRaven

SuckRaven Member

catfreak...it will play 16:9 look under 'video' under the specs in my post

12. SuckRaven

SuckRaven Member

tallrussian over at http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html said... "I recently bought AVeL LinkPlayer 2 that converts all DVDs to 1080i output on the component."

I found the player on the DivX.com hardware forum... http://www.divx.com/hardware/detail.php?p=34

could you guys look at this one and let me know if this is a good way to go if I am not going to use DVI or HDMI. (I read some good discussion in the ecoustics forums (http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html) and it seems that there is not that much advantage of going digital, + the content is protected blah blah....

Also, I looked at some reviews of the DV642, and one says "DIVX and XVID are supported. But some .avi files will play back with NO SOUND if the original file was encoded with a "codec" (compression algorithm) that is not supported by this unit.

"Even while DivX is supported, mpeg4/divx files compressed with the Divx Pro software using the "QPEL" (advanced motion optimization and prediction) will NOT PLAY on the unit. The unit will display an ugly "QPEL CODEC NOT SUPPORTED" message and stop there. There's no way to play back QPEL encoded files on this unit (it would require a much faster processor inside)."

I was wondering if this is also a problem with the LG LDA-511 or if the Oppo one I was looking at earlier has any such problems....(damn I'm indecisive, but I just would rather do the research before I buy some P.O.S. that I can't get good use out of.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  13. gear79

gear79 Guest

@ suckraven........ i will add, my dvd player upconverts to 1080i (interlaced) and p (progressive) and there is a difference. i am running however, an HDMI to DVI cable, as my HDTV is a bit older, so it only has a dvi input, but if i ran an hdmi to hdmi with a dvi adapter, i will have not only video, but sound as well. that being said, a dvi cable ONLY carries video, no audio, a true HDMI to HDMI carries both signals. but it dont bother me cuz i am running optical cables for audio anyway, and it also runs thru my receiver fot the umph....

but if you dont plan on getting a tv that has either dvi or hdmi inputs, your kinda wasting your money for something you will never use. (my opinion of course)
    but, i will also add, if you run a high quality component cable as your video signal, you will not notice a difference in quality. and buy quality cables, the price range is around 60 bucks or so for component cables.

14. SuckRaven

SuckRaven Member

@ gear 79

well here's the deal... As of this moment, my TV is rather old, and has no DVI or HDMI, but I am definately going to buy a TV in the semi-near future (couple of months) that does, so it would be nice if the DVD player I buy could be used with component now, and when the time comes, I can switch over to DVI or even HDMI. (By the way...is running optical for the audio through the reciever nicer than having it all in one such as with HDMI?)

bottom line...for right now, using only component (but has the DVI connector available in the back) which of these would be my best bet?

Philips DVP642
    Oppo OPDV971H
    Yamaha DVD-S657
    Toshiba SD-3960
    AVeL LinkPlayer 2

15. gear79

gear79 Guest

it goes like this, unless you have an a/v receiver that also supports hdmi cables, then you can run it through that with no problem, except you'd have to have 2 hdmi cables, and cost can sky rocket if you want name brand cables, like monster or something like that. as far as an optical cable only, you can run direct from audio source to receiver or from sorce to tv, providing it has the input.
    i run everything thru my receiver, but also run secondary wires for when i don't want to turn on the receiver. tha means, all my audio out from my sources, which include my satellite and dvd/cd player, have a digital output (optical) and run through my receiver for digital sound. when i dont want to watch or listen to tv/dvd with the stero on, i just run standard rca cables direct to the tv. so i have the best of both worlds. now mind you, i am running high quality cables, so my picture is as close to hi def as it gets, not to mention my satellite is hi def too, but i tried various cables and find that some are just as good as the big dogs. itr really matter of name.
    but as far as i know, the FCC will soon make all the over the air signals in hi def, so that means that all tv's made now will have these inputs already on them. and everyone will be forced to buy hdmi cables sooner or later.
    so better to be prepared then lost at sea.
    my personal vote out of your choices would be the phillips player.
    i personally have the LG LDA-511, found at best buy, but i went to their web site and found they have a better player out already then what i have now, nothing new. as soon as you buy something, its outdated already.
    good luck
    hope i was able to shed some light on you..

16. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

17. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

18. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Sorry

Link didn't come out.....model is the LG LDA-511.

19. evilh0ly

evilh0ly Regular member

20. gear79

gear79 Guest

@ dabig
    no, you will need the HDMI cable for the upconversion. you can run component with this unit, but no upconversion, unless you have some switcher that alows it.
    but you need the HDMI for the upconversion.