1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which divx dvd player is the best

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by narukid66, Oct 19, 2005.

1. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Alright , sounds that about right.......

2. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

3. DragonRM

DragonRM Member

Started to research this myself so I thought I'd bump up the thread to see if you liked that Oppo player or not... still kinda more than I want to pay but it seems it might be the only one that plays xvid/divx subtitle formats out of the box... Anyone have any other player suggestions for this? I mostly would want it for obscure anime where I need the subs and would love to do it on my nicer tv but it's too far from the computer.

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

my LG 511 plays xvid and divx......... no problems.

even had a divx lock built in.... you know, the crap you can rent, play it once, then locks up again. i guess its to make sure that the renter only sees it one time.

5. DragonRM

DragonRM Member

No prob with say .srt subtitle files?

6. gear79

gear79 Guest

i have never tried those type files, but i would think if mine supports .nrg files and (i think) .ogg or .oog files, then i dont see why not. but, you have 30 days to return it if it dont.

7. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I have an LGA-511 and it will play Qpel and GMC, only problem-it's a slot loading machine and that may cause problems with "flipper" discs.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  8. DragonRM

DragonRM Member

Think I'm gonna go with the Oppo sometime in the next couple weeks... can always return it minus shipping if it doesn't work how I'd like... but anyways... any updates on my subtitle question with someone who's tried it?

9. DragonRM

DragonRM Member

Well I got the LG one from Best Buy just because I got a good deal... but I think I'm gonna return it in favor of the Oppo for 2 reasons. First... when upscaling to 720p neither tv I have displays it correctly. It displays all the lines but kind of like an interlace so they're spread really far apart and it's only showing about 1/3 of the actual video. The other thing is it doesn't do divx5 it seems... no .ogg or subtitle files... which is what I really wanted. Can anyone test a video file for me before I decide to return?

10. gear79

gear79 Guest

i have played .ogg just fine.
    about your 1/3 picture... you sure you have it to 16x9 or 4x3 ??
    sounds like a 4x3 on a 16x9 tv.
    was this a movie or a burned disk?

11. DragonRM

DragonRM Member

Anyways... after a few days with the oppo player I'm sold. And with the promise of firmware updates it's easily the best choice in the price range imo... comes with dvi and hdmi-dvi cables. The problem in 720p and my tv was my issue... I know what I did wrong now with the LG... Anyways... the oppo still plays more formats, and the small issue I had with shifting in 1080i was an issue with the current firmware and should be fixed in the release in the next week or 2 according to oppo. The only thing it doesn't do that I've found yet is the embedded subs in .ogg/ogm files... but that's planned for a future update and they can be exported to an external format and work fine. Gotta love self updatable players :) Picture quality is a bit better than the LG too I must say... and using memorex dvd+r's I've had no compatibility issues. It also doesn't have problems playing back computer files in 16x9 which the LG wouldn't fill up the screen even using the fill/zoom feature on my tv.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  12. gear79

gear79 Guest

wow, interesting... indeed.

sounds like your trying packed bitstream files then..
    well, as long as your happy with it... after all, you are the one to use it all the time. glad your happy now !!

but i will still take my LG hands down.... as i have tried quite a few..

13. DragonRM

DragonRM Member

Well the LG wouldn't even try loading the ogg files... and it didn't work with external sub files... which I needed to be able to run both of those... and it was nice to watch wide screen divx files in 16x9 which for some reason the LG wouldn't correctly upscale to 16x9. The Oppo does a slightly better job with the clarity too I think... That doesn't mean the LG wasn't a great player... it was... just didn't do enough of what I needed it to do to warrent the 150 it cost. And it didn't come with cables other than analog video/audio. I didn't really like the slot loading too.... Those are always prone to eventual scratching of discs.