1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which do you use more of?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by movies27, Apr 21, 2005.

1. movies27

movies27 Regular member

I personally use the Fuji dvd-r discs all the time.I know some people like to use the dvd+r discs.Which format do you use more of dvd+r or dvd-r ??

2. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

dvd + r's because i only have a + writer!

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have mostly used the -R format with no problem's, but I am making the switch more and more to the +R format because I can "Booktype" the +R making it compatable with virtually any player out!

4. colw

colw Active member

I started with dvd-r and have had no problems with same. More recently, I tried dvd+ and again have had not problems. I currently have a spindle of each and which one is used is random.

I've had no playback problems with either format in my el cheapo standalones.

5. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I started using -r because my Toshiba standalone will only play this format, have since bought some el-cheapo standalones but have just stuck with the -r through habit.

6. movies27

movies27 Regular member

bbmayo what does the booktype setting mean on nero...i have it checked by default.whether i'm using dvd+r or dvd-r???

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If your drive is capable Nero will booktype your DVD+R disk, but not the -R disk's as these are not able to be Booktyped. Nero doesn't do a very good job at booktyping though so I use DVD Decrypter when burning my DVD backups.

8. movies27

movies27 Regular member

I have it checked to booktype ..it does my dvd-r & they play back flawlessly ...should i uncheck it when i use dvd-r's???

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No it doesn't matter they are not being "Booktyped" It will only do it if it is able too. :)

10. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I mostly use -R because that's what my PS2 plays, but my standalone plays anything (haven't tried DL +R yet). I did pick up a 10-pack of +R after hacking the firmware on my burner just to see how they worked. So far no problems.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I started out useing -r as probably most of us did but after researching my dvdrw (lite-on LDW-451S at the time) and learning that not only did liteys perform better with +r media but they also have a free official booktyping app for their drives to bitset +r/rw media dvd-rom for better compatability. I have used +r media ever since and never looked back. Although the -r's played on most players I tried, there were a couple that didn't really care for them. This problem was solved with +r media booktyped dvd-rom.

I now have a litey SOHW-1653S and a new benq DW1620 on the way to replace my 451, both of which are booktype compatable. I already have the lite-on booktype utility and the benq comes with official booktype software on a cd-rom.