1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD Burner to buy?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Toiletman, May 20, 2004.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

How true, but if it weren't for baffled people we wouldn't have a forum. How right you are, a good firmware update has often provided me with a cure to annoying little problems and often with the ability to modify my burners. If you follow the link that I provided in my previous post, you might understand why some of us spend the extra dollars on a burner. Sure I could have made do with a Lite-on, NEC, or Pioneer for half the price but I wouldn't be able forget all the extras I would have missed.

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2004
  3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hallelujah. I have 100 verbatim 4X+Rs to test burning at 8X.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Didn't see it listed, I've got the HP dc4000, works great, wasn't cheap. What do ya'll think of it? Did I f--- up? [​IMG]

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I would sell and grab a affordable Lite-ON(Lite-ON LDW 411S\811S\851S\812S) m8. If you have the extra buckaroos then grab a Plextor PX-708A\712A. The reason why Plex& Lite-ON drives are better than "most" dvd burners on the market is that can backup "most" pc game protection(Safedisc& SecuROM) as well as audio cd protection. (Key2Audio, Cactus Data Shield, DocLock)The Plex supports Mt. Rainer and also correct audio c2 errors, most Lite-ON dvd burners can't.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Afterdawn forum rules
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Please see our guides before posting
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/[/small]

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

BUMMER!! Now I know I need to talk to Jack Daniels, I've got a slight hangover anyway. Is it that bad? It seems to do everything I've asked it, by the way I want an external writer. [​IMG]

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

While we're at it I'm thinking of adding a HD just for dvd back-ups. Any suggestions? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Are you looking for speed or size. For speed I would recommend the Western Digital 70 gig raptor. A fast hard disk that is also big enough for doing back ups. For size any large 7200 RPM disks preferably with 8 meg buffers. Western Digital special edition disks are pretty good. Go have a look at www.newegg.com

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

What do you think of Iomega? [​IMG]

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I know that they make zip drives (super floppies) and even portable storage but if you are asking for an opinon regarding their hard disks then I can only say that they are not known for it. Do they have serious hard disks for stand alone systems? Do they even make them? I'll stick to my original suggestions. Western digital, but also Maxtor, Seagate, Samsung, Hitachi, but Iomega?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

12. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Mobo has to support serial ata (Sata) for the WD Raptor(internal) hd m8. Nothing wrong with a external USB 2.0 Iomega, Western Digital or Maxtor. Mobo support USB 2.0 bigorange?

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

yeah, they make' em. I think I'll go with Western Digital. One last Question and I'll leave you guys alone. Is it crucial to go with 8mb buffer or could you get away with 2mb?

14. Shoey

Shoey Guest

If your mobo supports ata\133 then get the WD 8mg buffer. If your mobo only supports ata\100 then get a 7200 rpm m8. If your unsure refer to your mobo users manual. Here's what I'm running:http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=KT6V-LSR

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Its never crucial to have an 8 meg buffer compared against a 2 meg one, because you can get confortably by with either. The difference is in in real time system performance. Its the many small speed gains spread across across the entire system that makes for faster systems.

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

shoey,I also want an external drive, my system supports sata/133. But man, the price zooms up from 2mb to 8mb and since external is higher to begin with I was just wonderin'.......ps-thanks to you too sophocles I really appreciate the info, makes sense [​IMG]

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Bought it! Went thru newegg, had the best prices, no shipping, tax only in 3 states, guess what? Tenneessee is one of 'em. figures. Thanx to the both of ya. [​IMG]

18. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

Bigorange,
    If you are planning on getting a external harddrive for DVD burning, do what I did.

Go to www.dealsonic.com and check out the Plumax PM-525c2 - Item # DSPMX525C2PPs

This is a combo case that has the fan guts etc in it that you can install a burner or harddrive. It is silver/grey in color and on sale now for 33.90.

This hooks either via USB or Firewire and does not use the IO of your computer.

I installed my extra DVD burner in it but I am going to get another HD and put it in the case just for DVD burning.

The thing is>>>>>> you can't buy a external DVD burner as cheap as you can buy this case and put it in.

Works fantastic. XP recognizes and installs it for you.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Also they daisy chain together and you can stack up to 128 of them on your desk if you have the space and equipment to put into them.

It is about 8 inches deep x 5 inches wide x 2 inches high. Looks great

Has it's own rocker switch so you can cut it of if you want to and when you cut it back on XP recognizes it.

19. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Well, at last, I finally went with a 107. Well not really, I'm just leaning towards that. Has everything an average Toiletman could need!

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That's OK Tolietman, since this thread began I've relinquished and purchased a Plextor PX-712A. Now that's "putting my money where my mouth is" My wife has as a result hidden my credit card.