1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which dvd burner?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by djillini, May 9, 2003.

1. djillini

djillini Regular member

I've heard the a04 is more reliable than the a05...is there any truth to this? I would like to make a purchase this weekend. Please any info would be helpful

thanks dj

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

If you were to ask me then I'd say Pioneer 104 (but then I might be biased as I have one myself)

It is a lot more cheap media compatible

But then the Pioneer a05/105 can burn @ X4 (which isn't of much use unless top class media is used & the movie isn't over 2+hrs)

As someone else in this afterdawn forum stated a little while ago...the a04 will burn on digestive biscuit.

I use Ritek G03 (pioneer a04 & only this drive using the firmware 1.31 can burn at X2 but I only use thatspeed for data transfer although I have some really cheap Bulkpaq purple discs for that)

I've got too much to say so I'll stop...now

: )-

3. awesomejt

awesomejt Member

I got the Sony 500AX and love it. It is generally about $15 to $50 more expensive than drives that only support one of the 2 major formats depending on which store you buy it from, most places are selling it in the $320 range. It writes DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW -- which is great because despite all the hype -- there is no "one format to rule them all". For example, I burned a DVD+R my pioneer player likes fine, but my friend's Apex player wouldn't recognize the disc. Also, depending on which store and which sales rep will depend on which media has the greatest compatibility. Bottom-line: neither has 100% yet, so get a drive that does both.

Anyways, it helps in the future when one format eventually wins, you won't be left in the cold. Of course by then, you would have upgraded to the next technology war.

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Search : Sony 500 (AX/U) problems before purchase

5. tekbright

tekbright Member

I have the A05 and it kicks ass. NO coasters. If you use Ritek Or DVDPRO 1x2x4x it will rock. I don't know why people insist on useing the cheapest crap out there but if you must the DVDON works and the G03 Ritek. Ive burned 100+ and NO coasters.