1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which dvd copying software is right for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by wallyd23, Feb 7, 2007.

1. wallyd23

wallyd23 Member

Okay here is the deal: I have just purchased a new laptop that has a cd/dvd burner and I would like to be able to copy dvd movies for my kids that we can play in the car when we travel. I am looking for easy to use software that will allow me to copy my movies with good quality. I do not care if the software is free or if I should purchase it. I have been doing some research on the web and am really overloaded with information. Any suggestions for which software to purchase in my situation would be very appreciated. (the dell I have has Roxio on it, but it will not allow me to copy movies)

2. jermda1va

jermda1va Member

I have been backing up my dvds for a few months now and have found that DVD Shrink was really easy. Especially if you just want to make a full copy and not worry about deleting specifics. Others will probably be able to tell you more but dvd shrink is very easy to use.

I just tried CloveDVD2 tonight and wow, im impressed so far.

Hope this helps, sorry if it doesnt.

Jerm

3. fatstrat

fatstrat Regular member

If you purchase, get anydvd and clonedvd and you will not be disappointed!
    Buy the combo package here:
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/

If free is the way for you to go, you need an up-to-date ripper that is updated frequently for copy protected DVD's. DVD Fab Decrypter.
    Get it here:
    http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm

Once you get DVD Fab Decrypter, please go to this link for freeware downloads and great guides on backing up your DVD's. You will not be disappointed!!
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/

Strat

4. wallyd23

wallyd23 Member

well,

I went ahead and used shrink along with cloneDVD2(free trial version) and I had no trouble copying some batman annimated series and I also copied The Last Samurai to be able to see the quality. Both turned out great. I will probably look at the AnyDVD and CloneDVD combo next. Thanks for the help!

wallyd23

5. halfhere

halfhere Regular member

I highly suggest purchasing anydvd and clonedvd but that is my opinion. One other thing is that i don't believe shrink is supported anymore.

6. fatstrat

fatstrat Regular member

Your welcome Wally! Just remember that the newer the movie, the more copy protections there will be. That's why I really support Anydvd and Clonedvd. Anydvd is updated weekly most of the time.

And Scooby is right, DVDShrink is not updated anymore, the author went to work for Nero.

Strat

7. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

I recommend the software the others said for beating protection but if you want a simple easy to use backup go for Nero 7 and nothing below 7 basically reads the dvd on the copy put the blank disc in and presto you have a (hopefully) pretty reliable back-up
    Nero refuses copy-protection and will let you know.
    it's perfect for everything else and a worldwide program
    it costs anything below $200 (australian) but has so many features it's almost worth it.
    I sound like I am working for Nero but I just like their products.
    simplicity is nice.
    anyDVD and CloneDvd are the perfect family on your PC but Nero is lovely to have too.

8. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

OK, a couple of things here.

You should not have to use Shrink with CloneDVD2. They do the same thing. If you want the slysoft's to work best you need to use AnyDVD with it.

AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 were unable to do the new release sony's lately BEFORE the freebies.

AND MOST OF ALL - One very very very very good freebie you left out. I own AnyDVD and CLone. Most of the time it is great. But this program RipIt4me is the bomb diddly omb. I can't say enough about it. It is a little slower than the Slysoft combo but it has yet to fail me. They are also able to play nice with DVDShrink something that AnyDVD is not doing for the newer stuff, but that may change with updates.

http://www.ripit4me.org read the guide it will explain everything or post a question back I will be happy to help.

EDIT: IMHO I would dump Roxio. I have not had good experiences with it and it tends to conflict with some of the better softwares. I think there is a program called NTI backup that comes with some roxio's that DEFINATELY conflicts with AnyDVD

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  9. wallyd23

wallyd23 Member

Thankyou everyone for the help so far.

Kitty,
    I tried to use just CloneDVD2 to burn a batman cartoon and it would not work because of the copywright, that is why I downloaded Shrink and used it first. I am still really new at all this and a little confused, but with the Shrink to rip and CloneDVD2 to burn I got really good results on my two attempts. Another friend suggested shrink & nero, but I know that he has copied some dvd stuff that did not play in some players. Any additional info is welcome.

PS I started another thread asking about how to connect my sony Hi8 camcorder to my new dell notebook to be able to record family movies to dvd. Any ideas here?

10. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Shrink is a great program, I love it. But if you are going to be using CLoneDVD2, I would buy the AnyDVD to go with it. Then you should be able to decrypt and burn with this combo. It is a very easy software combo to use for a beginner. There is also a free 21 day trial for AnyDVD from the slysoft website.

Again the free route is my favorite. Give it a try if Shrink on it's own won't decrypt. There a quite a few movies that it will not do on it's own. Ripit4me is very good. And very free. There is a great guide on their page. http://www.ripit4me.org Like I said it is my ace in the hole.

On the Hi8 issue...sorry out of my experience level there. If you still can't figgure it out via your other post let me know. My sister does a lot of film work. I will ask her what she uses to transfer as she does much of the editing with the computer. Once you have it to your HD it should be no problem.

Also, ripit will use part of it's decrypter program to burn as well. It is a complete package and when you have it set up right (sometimes an issue for beginners) it will dump you into shrink which you are familiar with.

Use these steps to install correctly all the links are on this page:

http://www.ripit4me.org/download.html

Here are the instructions:

http://www.ripit4me.org/guide.html

Download and Install DVDDecrypter (link on the ripit page)
    Make sure you DVDShrink is still installed.
    Dowload the RIPIT (very first link at top of page) file and the ripit installer file (link printed in red).

OK, so far???? You're doing great!
    Unpack the ripit file by double clicking it. It is a zip file. Once this is unpacked you will be able to run the installer file. It will put the programs in the right place for you.

So unpacked into a new window...fabulous!
    Now double click the ripit4meinstaller.exe file. Follow the instructions on screen and in no time you will be able to rip/burn even the most difficult dvds.

You will not have to use the installer file again. When ripit updates, which it does often to cover new encryptions, you will only have to download one file and it will install over all of your other versions.

I know I rave and rave about this program but it has filled in the gaps that even the Mighty AnyDVD, CloneDVD2 leaves occasionally. (But to slysoft's credit they do catch up eventually)

Good Luck