1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVDs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Bestmiler, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

If I want to burn a copy of a movie onto another DVD which dvd would I buy? (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW) What is the difference between these types of DVDs?

2. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

-R or +R.... You can practice with a +/- RW until you get the process perfected, but for archival purposes, choose one of the former formats... Both (+ or -) are compatible with the majority of newer players, but -R is the most compatible of the two UNLESS you booktype the +R to -ROM (which makes it "universally" compatible since this is the format of commercial DVDs).

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd
    Good reading for a variety of DVD questions...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  3. GlueEater

GlueEater Regular member

that depends on your burner. It's all about compatibility. If you can booktype then definitly get DVD+R, you have to tell me your drive's model so I can tell you if it(your drive) can booktype. DVD+/- RW just means that you can wipe the disc clean and reuse it. If your burner isn't Booktype-able then get DVD-R/RW because those in general are more compatible w/ more players. But if you can booktype (to set a disc to DVD ROM, the uninversal booktype that will work in all players) then, as I said above get DVD+R

You beat me teflonmyk.

4. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

Whats the difference between backing up and copying a DVD?

5. mybarras

mybarras Member

nothing but we use the term backing up instead of the c word because we dont copy we back up our original dvds

6. GlueEater

GlueEater Regular member

It's all the same. :)

Also, most here prefer to use the term backing up, which would imply that you have the original disc and are just backing it up so the original doesn't get damaged, and just going to blockbuster and renting a DVD to burn is illegal. The law is: you can back up for personal use only.

7. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

How do i check what type of DVD my burner is compatible with?

8. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

I believe that was your original question. It's hard to get a straight answer around here sometimes.

Reply with the [bold] Make and Model Number [bold] of your burner and we will either look up the information for you, or someone who has the same drive will just tell you.

Most of the new drives will burn ALL of the disks you mentioned in your first post. The -R and +R disks are "Write Once" and keep forever disks. The -RW and +RW disks are like Video Tape, you can copy over the existing material many, many times.

- Mike -

9. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

where would i look for the "Make and Model Number"?

10. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

I dunno if this makes sense but i think i have a "DVD-RW Drive"

11. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

Heres some more information...

_NEC DVD+-RW ND-6500A
    Device Type: DVD/CD-ROM drives
    Manufacturer: (Standard CD-ROM drives)

12. GlueEater

GlueEater Regular member

Nearly all NEC brand burners are booktype-able. SO I think you shouldn' worry. I also think it's an all format drive.

13. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

Use the link below to access the NEC web site. You can use that information, and the other links on that page, to get the rest of the data on your drive as well.

http://www.sw.nec.co.jp/products/optical/en/ND-6500A/6500Amedia_list_423.htm

- Mike -

14. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

When dealing with Lap Top DVD Drives, it's better to know than to guess. The link below is the full spec. list..

http://www.sw.nec.co.jp/products/optical/en/ND-6500A/index.shtml
    =======================

It has been my experience with NEC Drives that nearly none of them, up to and including the very popular ND-3520, are "Booktype-able."

I was looking at the very new ND-4550 today, and it writes DVD-ROM so it will more than likely support book type changes, but it's one of the very FEW in the NEC line that will.

- Mike -

15. GlueEater

GlueEater Regular member

That's Alkohol's response to queston RE:booktype. Here is the link to that.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/254089

And most burners can't WRITE to DVD ROM, but that doesn't mean that it can't booktype. I mean you can't even buy a DVD ROM disc. Booktyping and writing are 2 completly diff things.

16. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

I'm not even going to argue the point. Over the last three years I have tried almost all of the different types of firmware modifications, and the main thing I have learned is that what you gain in one area you lose in others. It's better to use the factory firmware if you want any type of consistency in your burning results.

I have two NEC drives that I use to READ DVD disks for transfer to my hard drives. Those two DVD drives have the modified firmware. They are RPC free, Bit Setting and have no Speed Locks. They READ any darn disk I put into them like greased lightning, but they STINK at Burning DVD's unless you slow them Way, Way Down.

I have two NEC drives that I use to WRITE disks, and I keep them updated with the latest Factory Firmware. They write flawlessly at any speed, on nearly any media.

Since Bit Setting isn't offered on any of the factory firmware updates that I have installed on my NEC Write drives, I don't consider them to be "Booktype-able" drives.

- Mike -

17. GlueEater

GlueEater Regular member

I don't have a NEC and can't argue w/ you, nor was that my intent. I was simply saying that just because a site says you can't WRITE to DVD ROM doesn't mean that it's not booktype-able, b/c booktyping isn't writing. So when you posted that link and said "look it says it can't write to DVD ROM" I was just pointing out that you'r wrong. I don't want Bestmiler to search high and low looking for a burner that'll say "writes to DVD ROM".

18. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

Thanks for the help guys and you guys probably answered my question but im still confused...which DVD should I use for my burner? Thanks.

19. smsmike

smsmike Regular member

Ok, here are the Manufacturers Recommended Brands and Types for YOUR drive.

Verbatim DVD+R or DVD-R
    TDK DVD+R or DVD-R
    Ritek DVD+R or DVD-R
    Maxell DVD+R or DVD-R
    Prodisk DVD+R or DVD-R
    Sony DVD+R or DVD-R

All of the above Brands and types are rated for the Top Speed of your Burner and all of them are on the "Recommended" list.

If you stick with these brands, you should be ok.

- Mike -

20. Bestmiler

Bestmiler Guest

hey Mike..thanks alot. What about for DVD+R (DL) or DVD+RW, -RW?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005