1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Dye

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Lennaert, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Lennaert

Lennaert Member

Hello!
    Everybody knows that Taiyo Yuden, Ritek and Mistui are quality CD's. I liked to know what you al think of the Dye's.

TY uses: cyanine (YUDEN, FUIJE)
    Mitsui uses: pthalocyanine (MCC, Primeon)

The following section is from EMTEC:

When CD-Rs were first introduced, disks coated with phtalocyanine dye (gold) had better stability and recording characteristics. However, cyanine dye technology has progressed significantly. The archival stability of cyanine dye has been greatly improved and cyanine dye-coated CD-Rs (greenish-blue & blue-silver) can now be recorded at 1X to 8X writing speeds. These enhancements have made cyanine dye disks the best price/value alternative and the current market choice.

On the other hand, Octave Systems says...

Pthalocyanine dye is superior to the Cyanine dye used in other CD-R products for two reasons. One, Pthalocyanine dye is far more stabile than Cyanine. The information recorded on a Mitsui CD-R will last for over 100 years. Cyanine based products might last 20 years. Secondly, Pthalocyanine dye is optimized for use in higher speed writers such as 4X and 6X.

What do you have to say for yourself (expierence)

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've used both and have had the best results with pthalocyanine discs made by MCC. The error rates were much lower than with any other brand/type media I've used. The long term stability has never been of much interest to me because at the rate I forget about and lose stuff the ability to last 20 or 100 years is academic :)

3. Lennaert

Lennaert Member

Then why is everybody so enthousiastic about TY?? Those are using Cyianne dye. Mybe because the work better with the PS2 or somethin?!? The Picyianne has longer life so why is everybosy loving TY instead of Mitsui? (beacause everybody has them?)

people who are Ty fan explain yourselfs! :p