1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which file do i convert?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by NickB, Jul 1, 2007.

1. NickB

NickB Member

Hello

I have ripped a DVD onto my hard drive using DVDShrink.

This has created a number of other files.

There are a large number of VTS files (whatever they are) and they all range from 18 to 52kb. These smaller ones end in the file name .ifo

There is also another group of VTS files and that range from 10kb up to 1,036,0670kb. These files end in the file name .vob

I understand that i have to convert one or all of these but, and here is where i get confused, i want to watch the movie on my ipod. Therefore i only want one file to open. Not 30 files.

Which file do i convert? Do i convert all the .vob files and if so will that leave me with one file to download to my ipod?

I have downloaded the program Videora to convert them to the correct format for the ipod, will Nero 7 do this job for me?

All help gratefully recieved, i haven't a clue what i'm doing, lol

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

rather then tell you answer to this annoying raindance you must do each time you ripp a dvd, i'll point you to a easy ripping solution

GUIDE-RIP ANY DVD STRAIT TO YOUR COMPUTER IN ONE FILE http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/511317
    this is a simple to follow guide, really you dont even need it to do the ripp but it will guide you and the ripping software will ripp to one video file, your video thats it, and the software is free so happy day

enjoy

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2007
  3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

what you did is rip the DVD to the Hard drive then used Shrink to convert the DVD to a smaller footprint to fit onto a DVD5(single sided blank recordable DVD). the files you are looking at is the DVD itself... all are important and you need them all ...... these are DVD Compliant files..... if you look up what a VOB, IFO, and BUP file is in the Glossary tab on top of this page you will understand about DVD compliant files. What you want to do is convert your DVD to MPEG4 so you can install the movie to your iPod.

I don't like Videora at all but if you want to use that program then here is a guide for it, good luck:
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/video-to-ipod-conversion-for-windows-pcs-part-1/

what I use is DVDFab Platinum to convert to iPod and it does a great job..... but it cost money.

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

IHOE, doesn't itunes have a built in mp4 converter for the ipod

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

yes it does! I never use iTunes converter or even load up a DVD in iTunes for it to convert. I'll have to try that out. don't know what kind of quality it give since I never used it.

6. tripplite

tripplite Guest

it's a pretty good converter, i never understand why people "buy" ipod movie converters, i guess they just dont know that itunes has one

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

tripplite.....if i ripped my DVD to the hard drive how do I put it into iTunes so it can convert it to MPEG4 so it can sync with iPod?