1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which files do I actually need??

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by tstorch, Jan 19, 2004.

1. tstorch

tstorch Member

Ok, burned about 20 dvd'd using shrink and nero and feeling pretty good about it thanx to all the help in here! :) I'm ready for the next step - Reauthoring. Is there a good guide that explains this? I can do it in shrink right? Which files do I actually need? vob? ifo? bup? I have no idea what the purpose of each of these files is. [bold]Also,[/bold] what's the difference between the different sound files on the dvd? Like 'AC3 ch-6' and 'AC3 ch-2'. Or sometimes even the 'AC3' part is different. All of your help is greatly appreciated! Thanx.

2. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Here's some good guides for re-authoring with DVD Shrink:

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/DVD_Shrink_Re_Author.htm

http://dvdshrink.info/reauthor_intermediate.php

About the audio tracks: If you have enough space on the DVD, leave the 6 channel audio track, it will play just fine in stereo equipment, too. Thus you can remove the stereo (ch-2) tracks. You can also remove all the audio commetary tracks, those are usually so boring that you only get annoyed if you listen to it. At least that's the case with me... :)
    If it starts to get really tight on the DVD and you can't get good quality for the movie, then you might want to delete the 6ch track and leave only the stereo track - you gain a few hundred MBs but lose audio quality in surround systems, though.

3. malum

malum Regular member

Just to clear up misinformation

DVDs do not have a 6 channel track and a 2 channel track of the same audio stream (except music DVDs which may have both but then the stero stream in uncompressed PCM and much bigger than the AC3 track)

All the 2 channel tracks you see are commentaries by the cast and/or the director.
    Ac3 six channel sound is automatically downmixed to stereo by all TVs and other sound equipment.

DTS is not automatically downmixed (you need an Av amp to hear it) which is why if there is a DTS track there will also be an AC3 six channel track of the same thing

4. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes you can Have a 6 Chanell Track and a 2 Chanell Track on the same DVD actually most DVD"s do, But not in the Same audio Stream which doesn"t apply with Most movies...Most Of the Movies I have Done which is Probably Hitting close to 1000 DVD"s By Now ,Have a Dolby 5.1 as the Main Audio track But also have the same Track in Sterio But not all Some will Only have a 5.1 or only a Sterio track and all Directors Comments are usually in sterio...

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Dang Minion, Thats a lot of DVDs! How do you store them all? Lets see....A jewel case is about 1/4 inch thick, times 1000 divided by 25= a pretty cool looking stack!!

One of the reasons I like the new version of Shrink so well is the audio preview feature. I could usually figure out what track I wanted to keep by a bit of deduction and playing my rip on PowerDVD. If it wasn't right, I could re-rip it without making a coaster. It just added another 25 minutes to the process. Now I can listen to selected audio before the rip.
    Frank

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well The Stack of DVD"s is Only about 400 DVD"s High cuz some DVD"s have 2, 3 or even 4 movies on them..and a Lot of them were from when i backed up my SVCD Collection to DVD so some of those DVD"s have 2 or 3 movies on them, I just Put a Main Menu on the DVD so you can choose what movie you want to watch...Actually very Few Of My DVD"s Only have one Movie on them ,Usually just the More epic or Visually Stunning movies Like Lord or the Rings and Starwars ECT I put on One DVD but if it is Just a Regular Movie without a Lot of Action and Effects then i will Put more than one on a DVD..With 4 Movies or 6 hours of Video on a Single DVD the Quality is better than VHS ,It is actually between High Quality VCD and SVCD Quality which is good enough for me when watching on a Regular 32 inch TV set, There are No Macroblocks and the Image is Quite Clear...well Cheers

8. malum

malum Regular member

This would be a pointless waste of time and disk space.
    I have never seen a DVD with the main soundtrack in AC3 stereo and AC3 5:1
    5:1 is automatically downmixed to stereo so what would be the point?

9. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

minion,
    your 1000 rips shurely is quite impressive, you could run a rental shop with that (if it were legal, of course :) ). I'm just closing in on my first 100, and my bookshelf is already starting to look rather cramped with all those DVDs...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  10. malum

malum Regular member

The quote you give is from Minion, not me.

All the tracks on a DVD are digital

DVDs as their main soundtrack have either a six channel AC3 (+ sometimes the same soundtrack in DTS format) or a stereo (two channel) AC3 soundtrack.

They do not have their main soundtrack in both six channel and stereo it would be pointless because if you only have equipment capable of two channels you would hear exactly the same thing with either of those two options.

The exception is some music DVDs that also have the main soundtrack in uncompressed PCM stereo as it is higher quality (all AC3 tracks are compressed whether they are six channel or two channel)

There may be a whole bunch of other soundtracks on the DVD which will be either the directors commentary or the main soundtrack dubbed into a different language. The commentaries are pretty much always stereo AC3 tracks

11. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Thanks malum for explaining things! sorry about the quote...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2004
  12. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I have quite a few DVDs that have both 5.1 and 2.0 AC3 for the main soundtrack. For example, I have Traffic R1 in my computer right now, and looking at it in DVD Shrink there is a 5.1 and a 2.0, but there's no director commentary. Just to make sure, since I never play a movie with 2.0 sound when it has 5.1, I previewed it in Shrink and played it in Power DVD and selected the 2.0 sound. It's definitely the main soundtrack. I've also noticed that many of the DVDs I have with Director's Commentary tracks have 2 2.0 streams, not just 1 for the commentary.

13. malum

malum Regular member

As I said, I've never seen one, it's a waste of time doing it, so why anyone would is beyond me.

many DVDs have more than one commentary track which would explain 2 or more 2 channel tracks.

14. vurbal

malum:

Actually, the reason I initially noticed this was from movies with Director's Commentary I wanted to keep, and I had to figure out which track it was. However, I agree with you as far as not seeing a point to it, but my familiarity with AC3 encoding is limited to encoding audio from my captures to 2.0 so there may be a reason I'm not aware of. My guess is that it's just an additional "feature" they add just because they have the room and they think it sounds good to have more audio tracks.

15. malum

malum Regular member

Maybe

I bet the small print dosn't say "By the way they are going to sound exactly the same"

16. vurbal

Not on any of mine.

17. Minion

Minion Senior member

Malum: I think you Misunderstood the Statement that you Quoted..I was Trying to Say that Out of the close to 1000 DVD"s I have Ripped the DVD"s them selves have a Dolby 5.1 Track and a Sterio Track...I would Keep only the Sterio Track..And Dolby 5.1 does Not get Downmixed to Sterio if you have a Dolby Reciever and a Surround Sound System..I don"t Know why they do it But I can Tell you about 75% of all of the DVD"S I have Ripped Had Both a 5.1 Track and a Sterio Track of Which i allways chose the Sterio Cuz I don"t have a Dolby system.....I guess it could be so Poeple with surround sound Systems also have the Option of listening in sterio....

18. malum

malum Regular member

I understood you.

It's still pointless, who pays for an AV amp so they can listen in stereo?

19. Minion

Minion Senior member

When they can Listen in surround???

20. vurbal

While I was looking through the DVD FAQ at dvddemystified.com I ran across the reason the 2 channel AC3 streams are included.