1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which format is better or the same (MPG vs AVI) when burned back to MPEG-2

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Victor43, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Victor43

Victor43 Member

Hello everyone. Just curious I downloaded a few movies /tv shows and they are in mpg format and some in avi format. I would assume that they are DVD rips files converted into these two different formats. If I want to burn them back to DVD format MPEG-2 which file format contains the best quality when played on a DVD player or would the MPEG-2 quality come out the same ?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Most probably mpeg 2 however both formats are piss poor when it comes to quality.Personally i wouldn't waste my money on burning to dvd unless you were planning on using re-writable.A hard drive would be a better place to store them,it would also allow you to get better x264 rips instead from bluray movies

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What is the resolution of the TV shows, because it it's a show that was broadcast after the year 2000 it could be of higher quality. Just because they're in mpeg format doesn't mean that they're mpeg2, and files in avi format could be of fairly high quality depending on the compression level and bitrate. So before you decide on which format to convert to it's a good idea to review exactly what you have before deciding. Sometimes a show is best left in the format you've download in.