1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which iDCT setting for q6600 (c2d quad)

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by acruxksa, Jun 13, 2007.

1. acruxksa

acruxksa Member

I appologize if it's been covered before, but nothing came up when I searched the forums for iDCT. I am using xilisoft DVD ripper platinum to transcode some of our dvd's to wmv files for their Windows MCE computer and our Xbox360. Everything works fine, but while looking through the settings I noticed several options for iDCT and it got me to wondering which is best. The options are as follows:

MMX (Intel P2, AMD K-6)
    Reference IEEE1180 (all processors)
    FPU (best quality, all processors)
    SSE2 (Intel P4)
    SSE/3DNow+ (Intel P3, AMD Athlon)

I am mainly interested in the differences between Reference and FPU, but currently it defaults to SSE2. I'm guessing that I should just go for FPU since I would favor quality over speed, but was wondering if anyone had anymore info on this.

I'm also not sure if this belongs in the dvd ripping section of the encoding section. It's ripping software but iDCT is an encoding setting.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Those options are based on which features your CPU supports. I'm not familiar with Xilisoft, but in general SSE2 should be faster than SSE, which should be faster than MMX, which should be faster than no special instructions (Reference or FPU in this case). Presumably everything besides FPU is simply a faster implementation of Reference, so if you want the highest quality you should probably select FPU.

In case you're not sure what this setting is, it appears to be the algorithm used to encode individual frames. The reference algorithm should be the one from the MPEG-2 specs, which isn't the most accurate possible, but is generally the one used by hardware like DVD players.

3. acruxksa

acruxksa Member

Thank You for the help, In the end I'm back to using SSE2, because movie's encoded using the FPU option were just blank screen with sound. And The Reference option didn't show any improvements in quality at all.

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

You're welcome