1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which is best chip to use for new pstwos?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by imran29, Mar 27, 2005.

1. imran29

imran29 Member

i own a slimline ps2 and a ir model. i want to get them both modified so that it can boot all kinds of media directly. ive read about and considering the matrix infinity chip. which chip is the best to go for on each model and whereabouts in the uk can i get them from? thanx in advance

2. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Not too much is known about the success rates for PSTwos with modchips. At the start, a lot of PSTwos had problems with laser burnouts.

In some cases you might need to install additional parts along with your modchip, or maybe not.

There's a lot to be said for it, but there's one thing that a LOT of people (including myself) can confirm here when it comes to playing backups on PSTwos :
    Swap Magic 3.3 works wonders.

I know you said you'd like direct-booting media, but your V12 will actually directly boot EVERYTHING except PS1 and PS2 backups, and with just a swap magic set (which are the discs, and maybe a fliptop, or a slim tool set, which are readily available in the UK) you can load up all your PS2 backups.

The only thing that Swap Magic doesn't do as of now is boot up DVD9 games. It won't boot up DVD+R DL discs. But then again, NO CHIP will do that either.

The only one with a possibility for right now to boot up DVD+R DL discs is the DMS4, and that's only when Team Toxic releases their next firmware upgrade.

So, if you want high compatability go for a Swap Magic set. It's just one swap for every game (seeing as SM3.3 now autopatches recognized trouble games automatically)

Besides having proven efficiency here among users in the forum, it's also the cheapest, and can all be all be installed and working in less than 15 minutes.

3. imran29

imran29 Member

thanx

on the matrix infinitys official website http://www.infinitymod.com/
    they say that it has alot of good features and the ones listed seem very good. id rather go for it being chipped but i may get swapmagic if the stuff on the matrix teams website is incorrect.

can anyone with the matrix chip coinfirm its compatabilities?

4. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

It'll do the same thing that pretty much any of the latest generation chips can do. The one feature you'll want is the fact that they can read original DVD9 games.

If they can do that, then that's good. Above that, the features and how useful they are, are a completely subjective matter.

If you're just looking to backup your games, go for the simplest/cheapest you can, just make sure that they read DVD9s, as the next generation of huge PS2 games are going to come on DVD9s.

5. VOD3N05

VOD3N05 Guest

if u want a expensive chip, go for DMS4 or Crystal Chip or Matrix Infinity, all are 50$

if u want a cheap chip, go for duo 20$ or u can have dms3+ 26$

but if i were u, ill go with DMS4 or Crystal Chip, cuz there really good chip and have updates of firmware
    its worth it.....

to let people know, since dms team split up, 2 side have been form and 2 chip have been produce- Crystal Chip and DMS4, see the comparison from their firmware to their boot manager... but both team are rivals

so expect many feature on their chips...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2005