1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is Best

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by sammy12, Oct 9, 2011.

1. sammy12

sammy12 Member

buying a receiver for my Samsung 6400tv and I thought I needed 3 hdmi inputs and sellers receiver had only 2 so I asked him

is there a way to get around my shortage of one hdmi inputs as I need at least 3 three, satellite, bd, and pc

and he responded

Yes you can use component cables as i do i have my sat on component cable my BD player Hdmi and my ps3 on Hdmi all audio runs thru optics as Hdmi lacks good Audio signal

Is he correct or is there another method....thanks sammy

2. JVC

JVC Active member

I'd do as he said with the video, since satellite and cable don't broadcast the majority of channels in 1080p anyway. They both offer "On Demand" channels that broadcast in 1080p, but if you're not paying extra for these expensive "On Demand" channels, and don't plan on using them, you're just as well off to use component for video with your satellite. Use HDMI with BD and PC if PC is capable of it.

But, the salesman is an idiot, telling that about HDMI for audio. HDMI is outstanding for audio. You need HDMI from the BD player, to take advantage of the HD audio soundtracks in blu ray movies (Dolby TrueHD, and dtsHD Master Audio). The HD audio isn't possible with optical or digital coax audio connection. I'd also use optical or digital coax from satellite for the audio, when using component for video. Ask the salesman what idiot told him that HDMI was bad for audio.........
    Good luck!

3. cactikid

cactikid Active member

maybe he meant a scart lead lol,or you could add a hdmi switcher that can have 3 extra ports for hdmi.my tv has 2 in rear and 1 on the side.