1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better in comparison?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Bobisnew, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Bobisnew

Bobisnew Guest

Hi. I have been using sony 4x dvd-r so far now, without any problems. But at bestbuy they had a deal $60 for 100 dvd-r 8x fujifilm! Does anyone know how fujifilm dvd-r mdeia is in quality, in comparison to memorex or sony dvd-r media. Thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'd recommend sticking with the Sony's and forgetting about Fuji and Memorex no matter how good the deal is - they're both low quality and not worth it.

3. Bobisnew

Bobisnew Guest

Thanks alot for the info!

4. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Fugi does not manufacture their own DVD disks. The 2X Fugi DVD-R that I bought turned out to be Ritek G03 by DVDinfoPro indentifier. Too bad the cost was more than Ritek G04's. The 4X are made by another supplier, and whose to say they have to consistantly use the same one, ala Memorex. I agree with the buy consistancy recommendation.

5. jackedup

jackedup Guest

I don't profess to have a lot of experience with media and different media types but the Memorex I have used have several different media codes so saying they are all low quality is hard to believe.

I have Memorex that are Prodisc S03, Ritek, and there was one other brand I can't recall right now.

So far the Prodisc S03 have worked great at least for me. I have a couple of coasters out of about 70 discs and those were my fault. One I had hit write DVD and then immediately cancelled as I realized there was a mistake in the volume title. I guess I did not hit it quick enough as the disk was unuseable afterwards. The other one, well I simply pushed the limits as to how much I tried to fit on the DVD. I was a little over the maximum limit but tried it anyway and had a problem right at the end of the disk.

As I say I am fairly new to DVDs so don't profess to know the pros and cons of all of the different media types. Another forum I frequent speak fairly highly of the Prodisc S03 media although there is other media they do rate higher then the Prodisc but the cost of that media is at least double that of Prodisc. My understanding of the Prodisc S03 is that is uses AZO dye which is the same as used by Verbatim which seems to be fairly highly rated media. Some Prodiscs also have an MCC media code which again from what I understand is supposed to be fairly highly rated.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

jackedup,

Your post reinforces one of the main downfalls of Memorex. They buy from different suppliers and slap their name on it. You never know what you're going to get.

You've been lucky in the fact that you recieved lots that were decent media but the fact of the matter is Memorex is famous for using CMC which is is utter junk.

If you want ProDisc buy Prodisc. If you want MCC buy MCC. If you want Ritek buy Ritek.

7. jackedup

jackedup Guest

Yup CMC was the other name I was trying to think of, and yes now that I found that Memorex was neither consistent with their media nor were their prices that good when compared to the actual brand I will buy the specific brand from now on.

The 100 spool of Memeorex white inkjet printable DVD-R 4X I bought happened to be Prodisc S03 and so far they have performed very well for me. These disks rnage in price from $74.99 to $129.99 per 100 depending on where you buy them, and I just bought 500 Prodisc S03 for $36 per 100 and in addition the actual Prodisc are hub printable.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited for typo

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2004
  8. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Stick with the Sony , I recently bought a 10 pack of Fuji and so far had 2 coasters.

My advice is go with Ritek , bought a 50 pack have burned 15 dvd's and not one coaster yet. There much cheaper to buy online than in the stores.

Just my 2 cents

9. jackedup

jackedup Guest

Man there sure is a lot of difference of opinion on media. Another forum I frequent thinks Ritek is terrible and only getting worse. They used to have a much better product/reputation but it has gone down hill.

I can't talk from personal experience as I have never used Ritek.

I konw that any Sony related tape products I have used certainly were not as good as many other brands. I used VHS and 8mm and sure did not like them however perhaps there DVD media is better.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2004
  10. mrman

mrman Regular member

Iv gotten 4X fujis and they were made by TY and have burned flawlessly:) im happy with them

11. Bobisnew

Bobisnew Guest

Update:
    So far I've backed up about 30 dvdrs out of the 100 dvdrs and all work perfectly, but had a question. I didn't know that fujifilm does not manufacture their own dvdrs, I used DVD Identifer to see what it is (readings below), can somone tell me if this disc is good or bad quality?

READINGS FROM DVD IDENTIFER
    Disc Type: [dvd-r]
    Manufacturer ID: [ProdiscF01]
    Manufacturer Name: [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
    Disc App. Code: [Unrestriced Use : Consumer Purpose]
    Recording Speeds: [1x, 2x, 4x,](8x Cannot Be Detected}
    Blank Disc Capacity: [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3GB (4.71GB)

Thanks Again for all the responses!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2004
  12. catfreak

catfreak Active member

13. Bobisnew

Bobisnew Guest

Thanks for the link, it answered my question.