1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better Pioneer DVR107 or Plextor 708A?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by kaushik, Feb 5, 2004.

1. kaushik

kaushik Member

Which is better Pioneer DVR107 or Plextor 708A?

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Either would be a good choice. Shop by price if you like.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You cant beat a Pioneer to be truthful. Well, unless you got a big hammer or even a stick.

Seriously - go with the Pioneer, you may be able to make it burn dual layer.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Since when did you switch from Optowrite to Pioneer, Oriphus?

I have the Plextor PX-708A and am extremely happy with it although if buying today I would have a heck of a time deciding between it and the Pioneer.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I've never had an optorite. had a pioneer DVR104, 105, 106 (for a week) DVR107. I choose the Pioneer because of the technical updates made behind the scenes. If a Pioneer techie can make a Pioneer DVR106 burn a dual layered disc, all-be-it at 2x only, with a firmware upgrade, then i see myself saving money in the future ;-)

6. Nephilim

I forgot my ;) ! I was just giving you a hard time. I remember a thread from way back where someone was arguing with you that optowrites were just as good as Pioneer or something like that.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, I remember that one to lol. I was saying that you cant compare a new drive on the market to the heritage of a Pioneer that has always beenr reliable over its many models, no matter how good a specification the new drive has.

8. dipu

dipu Member

Pioneer is the best!! i have pioneer 106 and Sony U14A. Sony is arrogant to burn the cheap media. But pioneer incredible. Pioneer really means its tru definiation. I have bought 107d few weeks back. That another damn amazing drive. I can say Pioneer is the mother of all DVD-Writes. Very reliable, cheap,competable with all the media writing 4x media at 8x, whatelse u want by 150€ compare to Sony 530 or Plextor. I have no idea about Plextor but what i have read in the forum Plextor would not beat Pioneer in any field.Therefor Pioneer is the best best writer. I am lovein it:D enjoy backup;)

9. saking

saking Member

I have the Plextor 708A and I have been happy with it so far I hope that Plextor see that alot of owners of the plextor driver releasea firmware update for dual layer burn but like alot of companies they will make more money if they just come out with a new model.
    I also like this drive because it one of the few drives that CDR burn at 40x which make this drive an all in one driver replacement.
    :)

10. Nephilim

The PX-708A also has the "varirate" writing method which comes in handy for backing up the newer SecuRom-protected PC games - if only BlindWrite would work out the recognition issues!

11. IndigoBoy

IndigoBoy Member

One difference that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that the Plextor has both digital and analogue audio output and the Pioneer only has analogue.

If I'm using my DVD for home-entertaiment (watching movies) I'd want to try and keep the audio signal digital, passing it out, via the SP/DIF connector on my Graphics or Audio card, to an external AV Receiver for Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding and amplification.

Just a thought...