1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 and why?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by playfx50, Jun 1, 2007.

1. playfx50

playfx50 Member

I don't believe the playstation 3 will last because of the blue-ray technology. I feel blue-ray vs hd is like Beta vs VHS and we all know what happend with that. I feel HD is cheaper to make than blue-ray and Sony can't afford to take to much of a loss. I'm not that technical so I would love to hear would you think

2. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  3. steimy

steimy Active member

really i think it will come down to personal preference. When it comes to the consoles the games and graphics will be pretty even. Just like the Xbox and PS2. I am an Xbox person myself although i have a couple PS2's as well. The bid decision for most people will be which exclusive games will most interest you, as each console will have some. The rest of the games will be multi-platform so both can get them. Each have their ups and downs.
    Like Xbox Live costing you a yearly subscription, and people who mod their system run the risk of easily being banned.
    The PS3 has online but it is free and they are not really known for banning people. But that gives an advantage to Xbox 360 owners who DO want to mod the system. I have the 360 now and i love it. But i am sure that when the PS3 drops down a few hundred i will pick one up, and by then the exclusive games i could not get for the 360 will be dirt cheap.

4. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

^^^^360 suXz0Rs, ps3 is da l33t console!

Nah just kidding, I have a 360 and love it. I think the ps3 is a great machine, only thing holding it back at this point is the insane price point and lack of games. Once the price falls and more exclusives are released, I might pick one up.

5. 8ballwizz

8ballwizz Member

blu-ray V hd dvd is like -dvd and +dvd how many years have those recorders been selling next to each other and now they have machines that now play - and + so in my opinion they will be here for years to come but you will get players and recorders that play both

6. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

It's really a personal preference like many have said. The only reason I've avoided the 360 in general is because I'm too tired of seeing so many FPS games and sport games dominating their all-time favorite listings and not enough RPGs. Not that FPS and sport games are bad games of course. I enjoy playing the Tom Clancy shooters, Halo and such, but I rather play a good RPG nowadays; hence, why I'm an avid lover of my old PS2 at the moment playing imports mainly. Only reason I'm avoiding the PS3 is the insane price of the console, but overall, the PS3 right now simply lacks a sheer number of games compared to the 360, some nice exclusives, and mainly, just totally awesome games that make you want to buy the system simply for that reason like what Microsoft is planning for Halo 3 to be.

Although I must say this, with Sony being threatened by so many companies with patent infringements related to their Blu-ray technology, Sony is poised to suffer an astronomical amount of lost and might perhaps drop out of the NextGen race depending if the lawsuits and verdicts don't go in their favor.

Anyway, I still don't regret having a PS2 for this long. Expletive, I might even get another PS2 yet again because most of my favorite games are still on the PSX like LunarSSSC, Chrono Cross, Brave Fencer Musashi and Saga Frontier 2 (I could include an FF game but I chose not to). I could always play my PSX games on the PSX emu, but I'm too lazy to get a PC gamepad at the moment.

7. flanker22

flanker22 Member

i really underestimated the 360 I thought it would lose out to all the next gen consoles but 360 has been surpassing ps3 graphically.

every console game which is multiplatform the 360 version has better framerate with more effects turned on.

supposedly 360 has a better GPU but the ps3 has a better cpu and the only companies willing to invest a ton of money to push the ps3 cell is square, konami, and a few first party developers.

8. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I really don't think this debate is even close to being settled :) Let's just get some things straight anyway. Besides the compaints you hear about PlayStation 3, it is, one of the most power consumer electronics device son the market and that power has serious potential for a lot more than gaming.

As for Microsoft and Xbox 360, well I think I'm not alone in believing that any shots Sony has had at M$ about power under the hood disappeared when Gears of War hit the shelves.

When I first got my Xbox 360 on December 2nd, 2005, and for many months following I was disappointed with the game selection and the multimedia functionality of the Xbox 360. But around the end of summer last year I saw a great turn around in software for the Xbox 360 and updates made to the console make it more of an entertainment device, as well as now beiong able to invest in HD DVD for $200 if I want to.

So I don't have my PS3 yet and I have to say the Xbox 360 is flexing some serious muslce with its line-up and lower price. Of course, Sony will come out of this and there are many games people are waiting for for PS3 and those games like metal gear solid 4 for example, wont even scratch the surface of the computational power of Cell, and it will take a few years for games to really take advantage of the console as coders devs become more skilled.

I think this generation, the 7th generation, is incredibly interesting because.... where is the underdog? PS3 might be selling quite miserably now but that will change and Sony is determined to wait it out. Xbox 360 from all accounts is still holding its own and getting titles like GTA IV threatens to steal away customers who will invest in a new console this Christmas from Sony (you have to sorta link GTA franchise with PlayStation).

And then we have the Wii, not as powerful or graphically superior as its counterparts, but marketed so well and so innovative that its left both counterparts trailing since it launched in November. Of all these three competitors.... who will win? Whoever it is will probably win by a small fraction if a winner can even be decided.

There are big problems too tho... for example.. as i stated my xbox was bought in 2005, so i am waiting for the red ring one of these days (lol). Also Sony has gotten itself into difficulty over the pricing of PS3, but I think besides the price, the company is getting a little silly by talking about "10 year commitment" to PS3 and.... I hope I dont upset any fans.... but I think its just a bunch of nonsense said solely to sooth shareholders who are seriously worried about sales figures.

I know Sony points to Blu-ray and Cell to say that its powerful for a 10 year cycle, but I don't think so just loking at the rapid development of technology these days, in 10 years time, Cell might actually seem a lot less powerful.

Then there is the Wii with the gameplay innovation and the abilioty to drag in audiences that have never gamed before. While thats a good point, I know the Wii is fun and has a great selection of software, but I'm gonna crave the real-looking gears of war or Halo 3 or whatewver w ecan look forward to a lot and I don't thionk Wii can satisfy that craving, at least in my case. That being said, I firmly believe every gamer should have a Wii because in many ways it is a step in the games industry not taken before and it has potential not only to change the development of the next generation but also to "win" the current generation contest.

Like I said, this is one interesting generation :)

9. zander47

zander47 Member

this is a very good topic i think that ps3 in the long run of things will do better not because of hd or blue ray because xbox has good hd and ps3 has the cheapest form of blue ray but because ps3 has better graphics and more durable i have a 360 and i broke because of the ring of death we have not sence the true power of the ps3 this is only the begining