1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which is better....+R or -R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by ejhoefli, Jan 13, 2005.

1. ejhoefli

ejhoefli Member

I am going to order some Taiyo Yuden and was wondering which is the best to get? Also, a lot of my dvds freeze on my dvd player, it is about 2 years old.....the thing is they all play on my computer, but some work fine on the dvd player some dont......the media is Sony R+....thanks for the help

2. sakmd

sakmd Member

i've been using sony dvd-r media and in about 120 burns only had a couple of coasters to begin with. all play well, both on my pc and a few stand alone players i've tried. i've just ordered some taiyo yuden dvd-r white printable discs. have yet to try them, but have heard nothing but great results from others here on the forum. so looking forward to trying them out.

one of the issues you might be having is compatibility w/ dvd+r and your stand along player. some players handle these well while others do not. perhaps you can check the specs on your player (either in the manual or through the manufacturer website) and see if dvd+r is supported. however, you did mention that some of yours play well, so not sure if compatibility is really an issue. have you tried burning some dvd-r's and playing it back on your stand alone and seeing if the same issues exist?

there's also a couple of other things you can try....if you are using dvd shrink for example....try changing your target size to somewhere around 4300-4360. this will eliminate burning to the edge of the disc which has sometimes been know to cause skipping and freezing. also, try writing at a slower speed than you are now. as i mentioned above, i had a couple of coasters w/ my sony dvd-r's to begin with, but after changing my target size and writing at a slower speed (i set the write speed at 2.4x to be on the safe side) i didn't have any further problems.

another possibility is that the batch of discs you are using is bad. are your problems all stemming from burns from the same batch?

and lastly, if you are labeling discs with adhesive labels, these have been known to create playback issues for some people.

these are just a few thoughts i had. not sure if it'll help or not. i'm sure some other people may be able to chime in and provide more info.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey ej, ty's are said to be the best. Both + and - "dash" are highly ranked for ty. Check out here: http://digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

A rule of thumb: Old stand alone players - , new stand alone players +.Your stand alone player freezing sounds like it may have been burned too fast or it doesn't like those particular sony's.

I mainly stick with the plus format because my home recorder and extra pc are + format only. I play my backups in a lot of players and haven't seen a case where any of them would play -r or +r only.They all play both formats. Usually slowing down the burnspeed and using high quality media takes care of most issues.

You said you use the sony + for your present and past backups. Sony,like most other brands use many different manufacsturers. I had trouble with the +4x's but the +1-8x's are a lot better. The +1-8x's are made in japan. Japan produces the highest quality media.

You should be ok with ty's. Some members have trouble with them and you might have to update the firmware on your burner.

There are some threads in the dvd-r media forum on cheapest places to buy ty's with free shipping, Check them out.

Good luck

4. shawbros

shawbros Member

I disagree. + all the way (will also rip faster), but booktype must be set to DVD-ROM. + are junk if your writer can't bitset.

5. ejhoefli

ejhoefli Member

thanks for both of your help

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If your DVD player is older then yes the - will work better this is a fact, but your player is 2 years old and that shouldnt matter it would have to be over 4years old. Now that being said if you read through the post's on this forum alone and in my personal experiance then the -'s are the way to go. As far as one ripping any faster than the other? That sound like a load of you know what to me :) Why would you care about that anyway are you re-ripping a backed up DVD? For what reason? You can just copy the disk.

I have 4 Stand alone DVD players all different brands, 1 PS2, and 1 Xbox in my house and they all play the -R's (even the 8yr old one) All of them but 2 players play the +R's. I have had the same results with both formats when it comes to burning you really can't tell any difference. So the only deciding factor for you should be what DVD players in your house support? You will not notice any difference in video quality from either. Compatability should be your only issue.

7. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

i use nothing but +'s....dvd player is almost 4 yrs old, xbox is about 2 or 3..never had a prob...so sticking with the +'s

8. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I started using some DVD-Rs in the last month, and my opinion is,... they stink. I've rarely had any problems with DVD+Rs, but these Verbatim 8X DVD-Rs I used recently will burn at 2X occasionally, and 6X at other times. My DVD+Rs never had this problem.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

That more than likely has nothing to do with them being - or + R's that is more than likely your brand of media

10. gatlin01

gatlin01 Member

I went through same problem at first, 2 weeks ago started to burn stuff and didnt know which to use -/r.
    Started to use -r and out of 5 dvd players (computer,ps2,3 entertaiment players) 2 out of 5woudnt play the -r and that was the one in my room and the ps2, after talking to cruester and getting help from him, i tried +r and the +r will play on everything.
    Oh the +r dvd i purchased were Maxell that were on sell at fryes.
    I burn at 2.3x using shrink 3.2 and nero and i`ve had any problems lately, i did go buy a dvd-rom to work with my burner.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  11. shawbros

shawbros Member

That is a misinformed rumour likely based on discs that did not have the booktype set to DVD-ROM. Even nowadays a lot of people don't know what bitsetting is and a lot of writers aren't capable of setting the booktype to DVD-ROM.
    Well you gotta read the disc in order to copy it!

12. SurfDude

SurfDude Member

Since you just asked which one is better...no one can tell
    Just make sure your home DVD player or where ever you will play your backed DVDs is compatible with the media you will use (+R)

http://www.supermediastore.com/dvdmediafaq.html

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  13. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I prefer -r if possible. -r discs are more compatible with older DVD players. Older PS2 systems won't read +r, either. Overall, it seems like from the wide assortment of discs I've used -r are more reliable. This coming after around 600 discs burned.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  14. SurfDude

SurfDude Member

I also use -R but just because is compatible with more DVDplayers. But you can pick up a DVD player in best buy for $40 that will play ANYTHING you put on it including MP3, CD, and MPEG pics

15. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

shawbros is correct,

If your burner can bitset DVD+R to DVD-ROM then you will probaly get the highest future compatability, DVD+R discs will likely to be much faster in the Future than the minus standard. That said My DVD-ROM book Typed + R's play on all my equipment old and new, My car, my friends DVD player etc..

I'd choose + R but that's only my opinion!

16. bigtunes

bigtunes Guest

I've been using PCline +R's - PCWorlds 'cheapy brand' with no problems on my PS2, Toshiba SD240 and a cheapy combined TV/DVD upstairs, switched to EMTEC -R's and the Toshiba doesn't seem to like them but play fine on the other 2.
    Got some Mirror Platinums from a PC fair on Sunday only 1 burn so far but the Toshiba plays them fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2005
  17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

neither dvd dash R..or ...dvd plus R...is better than the other one ..there different fotmats.just depends on the players burners etc. you are using.

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

aabbccdd,
    I liked your response, short to the point and right on the money!!!

You shouldn't be to involved in the - and + format and that is - not "minus" as some refer to it. Its a dash R not minus R. Anyway you should be more worried about the Brand of media being used, and what format is most compatable with your equipment. For someone to say one is better than the other just shows their ignorance in this subject. no offense intended. Some people have better results with + and some have better results with - R. If you read the articles on the web and search this site you will see it is about 50/50 on which is better. More than likely if a certain disk + or - dosent work very good is because of your burner, or player. Does that mean the disk format + or - are bad? No it simply means your particular devise dosent support it.

Again you should be more worried about the Brand of disk and what your equipment will support.

Myself I have used both formats and can't tell a bit of difference in either while watching, or burning the disk. I have 7 ways to play DVD's in my house and all play on everything I have. Now a days media is getting harder and harder to buy because you never know what you are getting so I stick with Taiyo Yuden's because they have not swayed(yet).

19. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Looking at my Signature below you'll see that I use an Asus DRW-1604P Burner. Here are a few media picks that are recommended for this burner:

Make,Model,Max Speed and Type

Sony SONY08D1 16X 8X-R
    Maxell MXL RG03 16X 8X-R

That's YUDEN000 16x 8X+R
    CMC CMC MAG 16X 8X+R

Seems to make sense then that either +R or -R media can burn at the same speed, not one fast then the other. As a few have said before, it's really a matter of choice. I personally like the -R but that's only because of some bad experiences I had with +R media with an OptoRite DVD burner model DD0203. It's sort of like having a vehicle that gave you tons of headaches, so now you won't consider buying another one again. So to me DVD media is strictly a matter of personal choice but most importantly, a matter of what your Burner likes!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  20. 2ExTReme

2ExTReme Member

like bbmayo said, a concise response is the correct one. There is no "better" in this particular situation but I can certainly see the confusion for the newb, especially with all the new formats such as BLU-RAY and HD-DVD it can be overwhelming.

But most drives manufactured now by all companies are pretty much dual format so that you can take advantage of sales on either plus or the dash format, and as aabbccdd stated "dash" is the correct way to describe the "-" media not "MINUS."