1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which is better r4 or m3 real

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by qwertydud, Jun 7, 2008.

1. qwertydud

qwertydud Member

alright i have looked at the guides about the different ways to hack the ds. but i dont know what is better.......maybe you guys can help.
    by better i mean can play gba games, homebrew....etc....
    and 1 more question. how does each thing work? its gotta be different than psp because of its firmware up and downs. do you have to open it up or something. hey thanks for all your help.

2. isaacbomb

isaacbomb Guest

quoted from my other post but basically
    1. buy a flash cart
    2. buy a micro sd (preferably with card reader to add *"backed up"* roms computer card readers work fine)
    3. get system files for your card (just drag and drop you need to get your carts system files usually found on there website or Gbatemp.net)
    4. follow guides on setting up files
    5. put games/music/videos on your card (drag and drop)
    6. put your cart in your ds and have fun ;)

theres other ways such as flahing yoyur ds firmware to used slot 2 carts but its alot easier to just buy the slot 1 cart and not flash your ds

for homebrew you just need to put it on you cart(drag and drop to the root of the memory stick. most carts support autopatching of homebrew

for gba games you usually need a slot 2 add on

heres a link to the one that i bought it comes with a usb card reader
    m3ds real
    rumble pack
    and a gba expansion pack

thats all you need then just buy a micro sd from the place of your choice

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2008
  3. joliverio

joliverio Member

For the moment, I think that DSTT is the best (www.ndstt.com) because can use SDHC cards. R4 and M3 can't. The advantage is the size of SDHC cards, can add much more games.

4. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

OP said M3 Real which CAN support SDHC.

The DSTT on it's own cannot play GBA games, you need to purchase a EZFlash 3-1 and download homebrew software to load the games, same goes for the R4.

If you get the M3 Real perfect bundle you get a GBA Expansion with it and both the M3 Firmware and the new Sakura firmware allow loading of GBA games directly from within the firmware, no additional homebrew required.

ATM the new Sakura firmware is very nice and fast, but lacks good homebrew support (roms, music and video all good) whereas the old M3 firmware can load everything (including homebrew) but has a slower interface and a separate media player needs to be loaded for music and video. There is a mod available for you to be able to boot both firmwares whenever you need so you can have the best of both worlds.

5. doggieds

doggieds Guest

R4 is better overall than m3 according to gbatemp reviews.

6. MaryD7

MaryD7 Regular member

i wouldnt buy either, look at other threads, they have compactible issues with new releases, such as Hulk and Etrian Odyssey. i have Acekard and Supercard, loaded both roms in and it works perfectly.

7. isaacbomb

isaacbomb Guest

my m3 can play them fine people just get bad roms