1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is Better?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Halen5150, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Okay; since I'm on a tight budget; I was wondering which of these cards would you guys pick over another:

1.LeadTek WinFast
    -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122008

2. Chaintech
    -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145131

3. Asus
    -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121056
    ...Okay; I was thinking maybe #1 card would be the better performer because of the awesome clock speeds; and the fact that it has DDR3 memory; .....What Do You Think???

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  2. elokito

elokito Regular member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  3. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Ya man.....that card looks relly great and all; but it's out of my budget:(.....

...but; CHECK THIS OUT!!! I was cruising Newegg and found this one too; and it's pretty similar to the one you showed me; but it's got a 25.00 dollar rebate; so I think I'll be ordering this one fri. or whatever...but lemme know what you think first....

here it is:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102050

4. elokito

elokito Regular member

the 7600gt is better and its only 20usd more (and its worth it) so the 7600gt is 99usd after rebate and the X1650PRO is 79usd after rebate the 20 dollars more for the 7600gt is worth it if u still want to save 20bucks go ahead and buy the 1650pro its not a bad card just the 7600gt is better

5. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Okay; so if the 7600GT is in fact better, then I might end up going with it.....cuz now your starting to make sense to me.......

...so heres what ill doo.....if I can scrounge up enough money to get the 7600GT; i will ...becuz now that I think about it; it would be pointless for me to buy the ati card when my mobo in fact supports sli......[and I do plan on using the sli feature in the near future] so it would be stupid to have to back-track in the future upgrade process if you know what I mean.....

....also; since the clock speeds on this thing are so high; what can I expect to OC this thing to with an aftermarket cooler do you think?? [I'm predicting that it won't OC too much....]

p.s. just as a side note; I have a question: The mobo that I'm using to build my new pc is an MSI K9N4 SLI-F ....and as you probably will know by looking @ the specs; it says that the pci-e slot will only operate @ 8x......

...so I guess if im only running one gfx card at the moment; that relly sux cuz it pretty much takes away half my bandwith.....

...BUT; what I am wondering is this: since the pci-e slot runs @ 8x; that won't cripple the bandwidth of my future SLI configuration will it?? Cuz I remember reading somewhere that when you have two gfx cards in sli; they don't necessarily run both @ 16X; instead, they both operate @ 8x; for a combined speed of 16x; <<--Is that in fact true?[Just double checking]

Sorry that I wrote a novel; lol...
    Learning something new everyday; I thank you for your sharing of knowledge
    --Halen5150

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I think the way it works is both PCI-e slots operate in x16 mode but when two videocards are in SLI the speed of the PCI-e slots is reduced to x8.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

7600GT for sure. Same as i have.
    Except i prefer the one made by XFX even if it is about $12 more
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150182

budget or not do not go low budget with your video card or you will be sorry later. Even if you wanted it now it would be better to save up and buy a great one like the XFX GeForce 7900GS and be set for future games, then to settle and get something that is outdated a few months from now. But the 7600GT should be fine for a while.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  8. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Hey Guys; thanx for all your help....especially elokito and steimy; ....I think I'll end up going with the EVGA 7600GT; because it lets me go with what steimy said; but I am still able to stay within my own budget....so it's kind of a best of both worlds thing...lol...

Thanx Guys!
    halen5150

P.S.

Yes; what you are saying is very true; but as far as looking into the future even more; you've probably already heard about the game 'Crysis' coming out....

...and well; since I have a great interest in playing that when it comes out; wouldn't it makes sense to have the 7600GT so I can hold out until I have enough money again; then I can just go ahead and buy a 8800?? Because; even though there would be a dramatic increase in performance; you'd also be set pretty much to play any future games for a while then.........

9. steimy

steimy Active member

Yeah, looks like it will be a good game
    "Crysis will run on both DX9 & DX10 as well as Windows XP and Windows Vista.
    A graphics card that supports Shader Model 2 or higher is required.
    CryEngine2 is estimated to scale back 2 years, and scale ahead 1.5 years.
    A single 7800GTX will run the game quite well on fairly high settings according to Crysis Art Director, Michael Khaimzon.
    Jack Mamais of Crytek said in an exclusive Crysis-Online interview that his X1900XT runs the game very well at reasonably high settings ( still unoptmized ).
    Crysis will dynamically utilize all processing threads available. Meaning quad-core processors will be supported."
    Minimum Requirements
    CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia 6200 or ATI X1300 - Shader Model 2.0
    RAM: 768MB on Windows XP or 1GB on Windows Vista
    HDD: 6GB
    Internet: 256k+
    Optical Drive: DVD
    Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

and that card should run it just fine, Rainbow Six Vegas has higher minimum requirements and i can run that just fine.

10. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

aye; sounds great man;)

I'll see if I can place the order Fri.;)

Thanx for your help;)
    Halen5150

11. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

In my opinion BFG and eVGA are the top 2 videocard companies for 1 reason. Lifetime product warranty.

12. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

ahhh sweet; I didn't know that man; thanx;)

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

yep and heres proof, in case someone decides to argue...

BFG's Lifetime Warranty

14. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

hellz yeah sweet!

I'll make sure to register the product right away when I get it from The Egg;)

15. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Member

Alright, I would not get any of those cards. Don't skimp on the video card! In an entire computer, the LAST thing I would skimp on is the videocard. Here is why, you will upgrade because those won't last you long and it is literally throwing away like $100. Currently, the ATI 1950xt is pretty cheap, I would go for that.
    I recently built a $700 budget computer for my friend and I still went out for a good videocard.

16. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

@TheMadMan

Okay man; not to rain on your parade or anything; but here's my scenario;

1. I'm on a super tight ass budget

2. Every 1950XT card on Newegg is @ least $100 more than the one I'm getting.

3. Did you even read through the whole thread to figure out which card I've decided on??? Because imho; you kind of sound uninformed of the decision I've made......

4. I'm not a 'hardcore gamer'; just a moderate one

5. Hell; this is gonna be the first gfx card I've ever owned anyways; the best graphics I've ever been accustomed to is the overly crappy Nvidia 6150 integrated graphics on my dad's HP; so as far as I'm concerned; the card I'm getting rite now will suit me more than I should ever need....

6. This isn't the only video card I'm EVER going to purchase; right now; I'm just trying to get my system put together with satisfaction; but yet create something with great upgradeability in the future ....so getting 'the best possible' right now isn't my highest concern......

...and in case you didn't see my choice of gfx card; then here ya go:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130062

so; overall; if any of the words in my reply seem to have offended you; I will apologize in advance, for I did not mean for them to come out that way. All I'm trying to say is; I've made my decision; and the card that you suggested for me is way out of my budget; so I greatly thank you for your input; and appreciate it; but right now this will suit me just fine I think.

...Then, in the future when I have a job; I'll be able to get bigger and better things; much faster too; might I add....then I'll be able to get things like the BFG 8800GTS or something crazy like that..lol..

..but right now; I'm just a fifteen yr. old kid trying to throw together a low-budget gaming rig....[or so I like to call it that...lol..]

17. steimy

steimy Active member

18. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Member

Hey, I take no offense man (and I did read the whole post =P)
    I guess what I am trying to say is that games are growing in graphics so fast. I am not familiar with Nvidia cards, infact I just bought my first one a few days ago. My experiance is mainly with ati cards. A 9700 Pro can barely run most modern games. The X800 and X850 are alright for most modern games. I am trying to run supreme commander on a X850 rig... no soup! Lol. It lags like mad. So I am building a new rig. That card you are looking at is SLI capable so maybe you should invest money in a SLI mobo so in the future you can sli some cards together instead of getting a new card and just wasting the one you bought?

19. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

lool; dude; that's exactly what my plan is; ...

I bought an MSI K9N4 SLI-F mobo.....

...and fyi; in the future; if I wanna max out that board's graphics capapbilities; I'm gonna have to sli that card; because the main pci-e slot on that board only runs @ 8X; meaning that when you have that one card in use; it's only using half of maximum bandwidth....

...but; theoretically; if I sli'ed that card in the future; I wouldn't be losing any bandwidth; cuz when you have two cards in SLI; the individual speeds on the pcie's are each clocked down to 8x for a total combined speed of 16x;
    ...so;
    ...you my friend; hit it right on the head; ---I'll be SLI'ing in the near future=p