1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is the best Antivirus program

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Champ2005, Jan 25, 2005.

1. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

I read a couple pages back that someone liked Avast. I must say it is great. I have loaded a couple of machines with avast and it they all have no problems. I like it because it is free, it doesnt use hardly any resources, and it is updated on almost a daily basis. One thing kinda cool about it is that if a virus tries to load on your pc, it talks to you. A voice comes out and says, "A Virus is on your Computer" Then it proceeds to delete the virus. It's also very good for the PC novice. JMO

2. stnerb

stnerb Member

To the Mcaffe User there...(HelenYork)

If you have problems uninstalling Mcaffe, pop out on google, and search for a "manual uninstall mcaffe online" of the software..(or something to that effect, there is a uninstall troubleshooting section on the Mcaffe website.. however, I got to it quickest through searching google.

that way, you can at least remove it so you can solve the problem of your zips... macaffe is pretty pushy about other 3rd party programs playing a part in it by slowing the machine down to process other virus scanners.

My recommendation is get the AVG free, and uncheck the resident scanner, and give it a try.

www.stormscomputingservices.com.

3. stnerb

stnerb Member

Opps. about the AVG thing... that is for now if you aren't confident about manual uninstalls, and still have mcaffe on there... then I would just use the scanner or any of the online scanners.. (some are on my page)

4. helenyork

helenyork Member

Hi

ok, i've got a bit further on with my problems. i tried CCcleaner as was suggested (thanks) and as it was the trial version it only deletes 15 problems but found 160- i have both registry mechanic and registry fix full versions and they only showed up with a handful of errors which was strange. i tried to refund mcafee to pcworld as it wouldn't install but wasn't able to because i'd opened the pack. the guy told me norton would run fine even though mcafee was still on there but didn't bother as everyone else on here says they don't work together- so unfortunately i'm stuck with mcafee ( i did feel like just burning it in the garden!) anyways, i got the registry editing back on- i googled my error message and found a program which gave me my rights back. I'm able to delete everything from mcafee except the VSO file in C: kept saying the disc was protected or in use- so now when i try to install mcafee the virus scan loads but no live updates registration etc. on reboot it says 'the IDS active shield is missing'. it found 35 viruses. mcafee told me to end a process which began with mc*****.exe and i got the windows blue screen. pc is back on and i've run an online scan with housecall who found 0 viruses. it did find a worm (gedza.a) but said it had been deleted.
    do people think that my system is clean now? even though the archived files couldn't be deleted to start with? also would people mind if i pasted my running processes into here cos i've got a lot of new ones that i've never seen before but when i've looked them up in mcafees online dictionary a lot of them are unrecognised. thanks everyone for your help :eek:)

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@helenyork - have you downloaded a DAT file for your mcafee, ie is it out of date or fully up to date ?

6. helenyork

helenyork Member

hi.. i don't think i've downloaded a DAT file. the error I get whilst trying to delete the VSO file is:

cannot delete mcvsshl.dll access denied. the file may be protected or in use. in the registry, rahter than deleting the files mcafee suggest should i just delete anything and everything that is mcafee? I've just downloaded 'j16 power tools' and that found 180 errors and only 4 could be fixed. some of those were mcafee so wondering if i should just hit delete for all the other files. all this help is much appreciated :eek:)

7. helenyork

helenyork Member

oh, i used to have mcafee installed and would do regular updates, when it expired rather than subscribing over the net i bought the 2005 firewall and virus scan package. when i loaded the disc it said i had a newer version installed and i should uninstall that.. thats where the problems started...

8. elliott

elliott Regular member

You could try renaming the Mcafee folder and then try to delete it also manually remove any reference to it in the registry and disable it in startup you can download a tool for that at windows catalog called startup inspector. I have used these methods myself.

9. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

I just realized the thread topic is "Whisch" not "Which" LOL

10. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

You just noticed it? I noticed it after it got updated and saw it in my inbox :) Also i d/l the home edition of avast and it is great for a free scanner just like AVG but AVG cant scan for spyware can it?

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

NO AVG. doesnt have a spyware program built in like some ,Trend Mirco for exmaple

12. SeanZ0r

SeanZ0r Regular member

McAfee 2 hands down.

13. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Ohh ok. It'd be pretty cool if it did tho :)

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

SeanZ0r McAfee is JUNK as is Norton worst programs on the market

15. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Yeah, dont touch those programs, heres what happened to me.

16. SeanZ0r

SeanZ0r Regular member

Rofl, i didnt way anything about norton, its a pos anyway...well ive never had probs with my comp eversience i cracked mcafee. I barley have any problems in registry mechanic, Lavasoft antispyware, and i never have problems with virus's. I sure do go to crackz sites, i use limewire, and i dont have any problems, i dont know what's wrong with you're computer, it seems youre knowlegeble on this topic..so why would you buy a 200 dollar app? its probally the users errors : ]

-sean

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  17. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Well first off, your talking bout pirated material, not allowed :(.
    Secondly i wasnt stuipid enough to buy Mcafee (cr@pafee), the guy who built our comp is sum1 my dad knows from work, and since we got our first comp from him he threw mcafee in for free. :)

18. SeanZ0r

SeanZ0r Regular member

noob..time to bequite. and who says, i have to use my savings account money for apps that are found very easy on the web, i bet you dont own every app on you're computer 100%.

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@SeanZ0r - Alien13 is simply stating one of the forum rules - we all know what cracks and crack sites are, they just don't need to be talked about in forums such as this. There are many forums/sites out there where that sort of thing is fair game, but not 'round here, that's all.

20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

SeanZ0r

I suggest reading the forum rules and losing the attitude.