1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Which is the best app to remove DRM from iTunes videos?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by dreal, Dec 19, 2014.

1. dreal

dreal Member

I have been looking for a DRM removal solution for a long time. As we all know, the iTunes downloaded videos are DRM protected. But now I need to transfer some of my iTunes purchased movies to the Android tablet. It's impossible to accomplish this task if I can't find a good DRM removal solution.

The current app I find is Requirem and TunesKit DRM Removal. Requirem (http://www.ibooksdrmremoval.com) is a well-known DRM removal freeware to remove Fairplay DRM from all iTunes items, including iBooks, music, audio book, movies. However, it's said that this freeware was stopped by Appe. So it was out of update since 2012.

I found there are many people like TunesKit DRM Media Converter, eg,
    http://9to5mac.com/community/how-to...-from-itunes-rental-movies-on-mac-losslessly/

Is it a legal program I can use that? It will cost nearly $45 to buy the license. I will use it for personal only. I will never share the converted videos or upload the videos to internet.

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I have Tune byte which works fine for tunes but it is real olkd.. All DRM removers are legal. The others were put out of business a decade ago. The legal ones requirethat you own a license before you can remove the drm. They ' play' the tune to a new file.

Apple wants to keep you using their products. They don't like drm removers. You want something up to date just in case Apple did something tricky.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Member

DRM removal tools are NOT legal for use or distribution in the United States. I know there used to be Requiem, but I believe it required an older version of iTunes and Java, and is no longer supported by the dev.

Most of these tools are just cruddy rip-off converters that output low quality.

I don't know why movie studios don't offer DRM-free stuff. The music industry went to DRM-free when iTunes moved to the iTunes Plus format (256kpbs AAC), and they are not out of business. The only person it hurts is the consumer.

I still buy physical discs (Blu-ray and CD).

4. Mez

Mez Active member

To remove a DRM without playing the file violates copyright laws. Playing the file then making a backup that is not DRMed does not violate any law. The bulk of DRMed music files are only a 128 bit rate. That is very low quality. Like hogger I buy disks then make my own high fidelity compressed files without DRMs. If you are buying compressed files, it is smart to convert (play and record) the file to a high fidelity file. Then down grade it to the original fidelity. You don't lose any fidelity that way. If in doubt, finish with a bit higher fidelity. Some formats preserve more fidelity per bit rate than others. Unless you can use the same format as the original it is smarter to save to the next higher fidelity. Different formats don't preserve fidelity is the same way. That means you will lose a bit of fidelity.

Lee, what does your DRM remover do? To save the file you must have the codex to write the file. For audio, computers come with a lossless codex so it can play sounds etc. Mine saves to that.

The music industry is much smarter than the movie industry. If there is a will they will find a way. Plus, every few years a music provider goes out of business making the DRMed files unplayable. That created most of the requests for the illegal DRM removers. I feel anyone that keeps DRMed media deserves what ever befalls them. Except for Apple, it is likely your DRMs will 'go bad' in your life time. Only a fool archives such a file when it is so easy to back it up without DRMs. .

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

spammer lee just got spammed.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Good catch! He fooled me.

7. ddp

you wouldn't have known because you don't have the tools of a moderator. that is why I make the big bucks(NOT)!!!

8. Mez

Mez Active member

Usually it is obvious. I guess they are getting craftier.

I guess you shouldn't let the secrets out of the bag but I am curious. Is it the IP address? Certain roots are unlikely to be honest users. If the link is the same as the post you can't disclose that. That would be too easy to avoid. Do you think they are humans or robots? I have heard social media robots are quite sophisticated. Enough that members believe robots over the news. That is pretty amazing AI. Members can converse with them and they believe they are people.

9. ddp

address "Recently reported forum spam source"

10. Mez

Mez Active member

OK simple and works.