1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which is the best?? .CSO or .ISO ???

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by regice95, Sep 26, 2007.

1. regice95

regice95 Member

which is the best??

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

CSO are compressed ISO files. So if you have limited Memory Stick space CSO files are recommended. Some say they tend to lag at times but all my PSP games are CSO files and I have never had lag issues.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  3. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

all of mine are ISO. my 4gig is nearly maxed out, but it's because crisis core takes 1.6gig and mgs: portops takes 1gig. but i only get the games i want, or aren't even out in the states yet.

i guess it's a matter of preference. if you want to stuff as many games as you can on your memory stick, go with CSO. but if you only go for certain games, you can go either or.

like larrylje said, some CSO games will lag; it's because of the way it's compressed. too high of a compression will make the file smaller, but it takes longer to read. if you run at 300 or 333, then it should be barely noticeable.

4. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

all my games are cso and i get no problems with lagging either,cso's are a lot better for example
    jackass the game iso=1.63gb
    jackass the game cso=721mb
    thats quite a big difference lol

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@Sicdude

What ISO/CSO converter do you use?

My JACKASS only compressed to 1.34 and I used the 9-compression. I use PSP ISO Compressor v1.4. Do you use something different? I would love to get my Jackass down to 721mb.

6. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

i used umdgen v4 open the iso and extract it,now select file button on umdgen and select save as compressed cso thats how i did it

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Cool thanks i will give it a go.

8. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

i also know someone who got it smaller than that they took the update folder out first then converted it

EDIT:i think it's the only game i've played thats made me laugh even the opening video was funny lol

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Thanks for the tip it worked. Time to uninstall the other 1 I used.

Yeah I thought it was pretty funny also. At first I didn't think it would be that good but surprisingly enough it has been. If your a JackAss fan this is defiantly a game you have to have.

10. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

no probs when i first compressed it,it was 1.36gb as well and it peaved me off a little thats like the size of 2 to 3 games lol,so i just started messing around i done what i told you to do and it worked,must of been full of dummies

11. po43292

po43292 Regular member

I haven't seen any noticible lag with CSO, in fact a lot of ISO's don't work on my 3.40OE-A. I use UMDGEN to convert ISO to CSO always now, thanks to a member of this forum who told me about it a while back. Compression at 9, and the games work beautifully, and save space on my 4 GB Sandisk. Can't hurt to have room for more games I say. :)

12. maskiri

maskiri Guest

i always choose cso its best

13. ngepi

ngepi Member

thanks for the tip sicdude!! ahhahahaha this will help the users having problem with memory,,, i heard there is an 8 GB mem pro out in the market,, but i guess is does not have a hi-speed yet,,,

14. bboy1

bboy1 Regular member

I prefer to use ISO. Some games don't have any noticeable lag in CSO format however generally load times are longer and sometimes load times for CSOs are as long as UMD load times..which is unbearable. Lots of games lag in CSO format too....like GTA LCS, B-Boy.

Really depends on the game. If the game doesn't lag or doesn't take that much longer to load I'll go with CSO but if it actually ruins the experience I'll use ISO. Ridge Racer for example doesn't lag in CSO format but load times are as long as UMD.