1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is the best inkjet printable dvd ?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jetyi83, Apr 20, 2004.

1. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

i bought a 50 pack of the matrix inkjet printable dvd-r's 4x from shop4tech.com, and they were terrible. 60-70 percent failure rate.

i tested them thoroughly and found it was the media and not anything else.

i want to find a good reliable media, i know ritek is good and taedo yuden, however you spell it, but i need to find a reliable one for around $1.00 - $1.20 each. preferably hub printable, and have a good finish to where the quality of the print comes out. I read that the new ritek g04's have a glossy finish so the print quality is poor. Anyone know what to buy? I purchased some leda's 1-4x but i dont think they are that quality either, im just taking a chance, since they are hub printable, and a little more expensive than the matrix ones were.

2. antons

antons Member

I've been using Ritek G04 - Clonedisk printable.
    Pringin on them with Canon i865 (Great printer!)
    And writing mostly with CopyToDVD (old version)...

This is working 100% ( 300Disks so far... )

3. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

Have used Ritek g04 , and Prodisc both have worked great. get them from Supermadiastore.com or Meritline.com . Prodisc are comlplete surface to the center.

4. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

i read 2 reviews saying the new glossy finish on the g04's was giving off a stained glass looking quality. you havent noticed that at all?

and what is the difference between the inket printable hub-branded g04, and the normal white inkjet printable g04's.

is it just the ritek emblem on the hub?

5. antons

antons Member

No glossy / glass look here... The discs look fine. The CloneDisc's have a white printable inner circle too. The ink haven't smudget with finger's, so it dries well and stays there!
    (unlike those "f-word" stick labels)

I've printed couble of Maxel cd's, they have different surface, a bit more paper like - But I think the print-on looks better on the CloneDisc... that's all folks.

6. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

where can i buy the 4x g04 clonediscs?

i saw the g04's but i didnt see any with pictures that show hub printable.

I ordered some leda's a couple days ago and that was a mistake, Shop4tech even called me after I emailed them about a problem and they automatically assumed I wanted a refund on the leda's... not a good sign. I havent even gotten the ledas at my door yet. They admitted that ledas are problematic. I guess I just wasted 5 dollars on return shipping.

7. alseides

alseides Guest

so, the i865 is great huh? I looked up some reviews and the print quality for photos were not bad. (not the greatest either) but what interests me greatly is the cd printing feature. However, this is only available to non US models. Here in the US, the same i865 is called the i860... which is identical except for the cd printing.

What I am wondering is this - does the i865 use the same print cartridge as the US i860? I am considering to purchase the 865 and it wouldn't be worth it if I had to buy ink from out of the country.

much appreciated

...and one more thing, if you dont mind. I don't know if you're familiar with the Canon US models (probably not) but I am assuming that the i900D (US) corresponds with your i905D and the i960 (US) corresponds with your i965.

Both of these have cd printing correct?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2004
  8. antons

antons Member

I think the cardrige are the same. The i865 uses:
    6bk and 3ebk (black)
    6Y, 6M and 6C for colors.
    Hey - the good stuff. Here are pictures of the Ritek disc, in the tray, the printer, and the CD-R printing system for the Canon i865 printer. You must "slide it into" the printer at the front, when you like to print on CD's/DVD's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you can see the pics. Any questions, just ask.

9. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

Canon i865 is a great printer i am well happy with mine using ritek printable £11.00 for 25 (local computer shop)over 500 burns and no coasters, looks the business i always hated tthose sticky labels. has anyone tried compatible cartridges with this printer

10. alseides

alseides Guest

thanks a lot.

also, is it true this printer eats up ink really fast? and if so is replacing it expensive?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]http://students.washington.edu/ptn
    PM me if you need a slick lookin website.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2004
  11. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

epson has a full line of print on disc printers,

the r300, r300m, r200, r800-something.

but the newest one is the r200. it has excellect print quality at 5700 dpi, compared to hp photo printers which are only 4800, or something like that.

but anyway, its only 100 dollars U.S. Its the best find you will see for now. It came out in febuary 2004. the only difference between this model and the r300 models are the lcd screen and memory card readers. those alone make the other models $250.

it does use a lot of ink. and the ink is expensive, but you can use knock off ink as well., and it works perfect. there are 6 different ink colors so if one runs out faster you can replace them one at a time. Print quality on the dvd's are great, especially if you set your software correctly. A whole new ink replacement is 40 bucks. 50 with shipping and tax, it lasts me about 50-100 8x11 photographs + dvd prints. depending on how many black dark photos i print out.

12. antons

antons Member

The printhead and ink are different parts in the canon printer. The Ink is realy cheap. The tank's have a bit more ink than the HP one, and is much cheaper here in Iceland.
    The printer has 4 separated compartments.
    I've printed many pages of text, 10 photos and alot of DVD's (I don't print allover the disk, just logos, text and small pictures) on a single run... Still the printer says the tanks are "full"

good stuFF:
    - Silent printing.
    - Special 5x6 picture paper compartment
    - Borderless printing!
    - Printing on DVD's is easy and fast
    - 4 separated ink tanks
    - Separeted print heads (> cheaper ink)
    - Good software for photo printing and DVD printing.
    - Printing on all sizes of CD's and bussiness card cd too!
    - Direct Bussinesscard printing (from the cd tray)

Not as good:
    - The printer takes up a bit much space
    - You must plug the CD prining unit into the printer when printing CD's - so you must store it somewhere when not using it (The printer came with a box for that stuff.

13. VinylPush

VinylPush Member

I've been using my i865 for about three months now and I have yet to change an ink tank. Canon ink is pretty expensive here in the UK, but I only use 'compatible' inks made by Jet-Tec.

I used to have a Canon S520, which I was quite happy with. It produced good quality covers (with 5-star High-Resolution paper) but it did get through a lot of ink.

I can definately concurr with Antons pro's and cons. I would like to add one problem though, replacement print-heads are not cheap and the one on my S520 lasted less than 2 years.

14. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

hi:
    I have a few questions. Hopefully someone can help. I have been trying to get the best possible encoding and burning capability like everyone else. I have solved it for my system with no coasters using Verbatim +r's, shrink and imgtool or decrypter with a plextor 708. I hate writing on the disks with a marker so I was using labels and after much research on the forums I have abandoned that. So now I will try my luck with white printable dvds. Looking at Meritline prices the prodisks are $43 delivered and they print all the way to the spindle hole. Has anyone used these other than the one response in this forum? Do you think I'm better off spending double for the Verbatims which dont print the hub or Ritek GO4's for $50ish no hub printing? I really like the look when it prints down to the spindle but it seems only the Prodisks has this feature.

I have always had great success with Epson so I guess I'll go with the r200. Its $92 delivered from Newegg. thank you. Regards...

15. jetyi83

jetyi83 Regular member

yeah the r200 works awesome, im actually going to buy the prodiscs as well with the hub printable, not just because the hub, but also because the surface is supposed to be better than the new ritek finish which is too glossy. The riteks are supposed to be more reliable, and they also make a hub printable g04, but prodiscs are good too. The thing about hub printable is that not all dvd's have pictures down to the hub, so you dont even use them every time, i bought 50 hub printables last time, and only used the hub about 40% of the time. plus the epson r200 only prints to 20mm, which is pretty close to the whole hub, but not exactly. The hole itself is around 17 or somethin,. i cant remember.

but im going prodisc as well, just from recommendations from other people, i also have the plextor so if you reply back ill be sure and tell you how they work out once i buy them.

16. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

hi jetyi83:

you say that Ritek makes a hub printable dvd in the GO4 model? I dont see it at Meritline. Where did you see them? Also I have a label printing program called Acoustica which is great for making labels. I've never used it for dvd printables. It basically has templates for different labels, but NOT for printable dvds. I guess I just have to match a particular template to a printable dvd. I was just wondering which program that you use.

To get dvd covers I do a search at dvdempire.com and save the cover as a jpg file for all my labels. Resolution is very good. any info is well appreciated. Regards...