1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHICH IS TOP HDTV-EXPERT OPINIONS NEEDED PLS

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Blnkstare, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Blnkstare

Blnkstare Regular member

Hi all experts, i need everyones honest non-biased opinion on the top quality LCD 46-52 inch HDTV. From what i have read including reviews and websites i have narrowed it down to 2 manufactorers.

1) Mitsubishi LT46233 46" HDTV and
    2) Sony Bravia XBR4 46" HDTV

Dont need XBR5 only offers 6 months extra warrantee and a rs232 hookup for surround sound which i also dont need.

Please Advise

2. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Mitsubishi make LCD TV's now? :p

My choice out of those two would be 100% Sony. I spent a long time shopping for my LCD TV and there were only three brands that continually impressed me. They are Sharp, Sony and Samsung. After my purchase (I went with Sharp), I found out that those three brands are leading the LCD market and for a good reason. When compared to other LCD's side by side, it is these three that have more vibrant colours, deeper blacks, better viewing angles, more detailed image (little or no motion blur) etc.

By the way, why do you say the RS232 is a surround sound connection? That connection is used for servicing. If you have a toslink/optical output, that is intended for digital sound output. RCA left/right output can be used for analog sound output.

3. Scrappy22

Scrappy22 Member

your best bet is to wait. I saw a Samsung 46" LCD with a 500,000:1 contrast ratio. There are trying to implement a NEW LED technology, that will greatly increase the quality of picture for LCD. Ive only seen 1 or 2 of these models, and they are $1000 more, roughly. I am waiting on my next tv purchase till these tv's are out for a bit.

4. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

500,000:1.... Now, that's funny! The companies are doing anything they can to inflate these numbers. Do you really think with one technological advancement, they can improve the contrast ratio 50 fold? I firmly believe that the best way to test a TV is to look at it with your own eyes. We all have different preferences and at the end of the day, it is your eyes that will be watching the TV.

Why wait? Let's face it, in the technology world, there is ALWAYS going to be something better that comes out not long after. That's life... It's called progression.

Scrappy22, feel free to wait but I can guarantee you that when whatever it is you're waiting for hits the shelves then something new will be just around the corner.

5. Blnkstare

Blnkstare Regular member

So far thank you both for your opinions. The most i saw was 15,000:1 contrast ratio. I am looking to purchase within the next 2 weeks so I am pretty sure its either Sony or Mitsubishi. I already own 2 sharp Aquos 26" and 32" and they are great little TV's but i wanted the top of the line for my Livingroom where most of TV watching will be done.

6. Blnkstare

Blnkstare Regular member

Anyone else with an Opinion?

7. play2wyn

play2wyn Member

Well i would not consider myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination but from my research i personally purchased the sony 52" xbr4. I went with it because of the much better color reproduction and of course it has the 120hz refresh rate. The refresh rate on the xbr4 is almost equal to that of some plasmas. Just my 2 cents worth

8. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Sharp make some fantastic 46" TV's. My opinion is that Sharp make the best LCD TV's. Haven't you seen their latest panels? They are making some great looking 1080p 120hz panels (120hz means blu-ray, HD-DVD etc. are played at the original 24fps, which means no motion blur).

Check out the Sharp Aquos LC46D83X

That's a link to the Australian website. The USA version has a slightly different model number, it is the LC46D82U in the USA.

9. Blnkstare

Blnkstare Regular member

Yes i looked at that one too but Sony and Mits seemed to be tops when inquiring with alot of techs in the business

10. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Really? Wow... I know Sony is but I didn't realise that Mitsubishi was a major player in the LCD scene. That's news to me.

11. Blnkstare

Blnkstare Regular member

Yes it is fairly new but the Mitsubishi diamond series LT46233 some have said is better than the sony, it is even more expensive. I just want to make the best decision so thank you for all your help, i was hoping to get alot more opinions...

12. Scrappy22

Scrappy22 Member

well, you dont have to wait, i would prob go with the top of the line Samsungs, I love their TV's. & yes, i do believe you should actually SEE the tv your going to buy. Differnt pros & cons for all. My personal favorites are Samsung, Sharp Aquos, LG ( i own 1 32 LCD) and SONY ( i find to be expensive).
    But here is the TV i was talking about.
    (I would def give this 1 a look with my own eyes)

& Ryu, they have been talking about this tech for a while now. Technology just moves very fast these days, so, yes, there will always be something better, BUT, being that they do have TV's with this technology, waiting 2 months might not be a bad idea considering the gigantic increase in the color depth of the new tv's.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  13. Blnkstare

Blnkstare Regular member

14. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well you might want to check out the February issue of Home Theater Magazine. The 2008 HDTV Technology Face off is an interesting read. This time they went for a pricepoint/size comparison and included LCD, plasma, DLP and LCOS sets. The tests were done with movies, SD and HD DVD and Blu-Ray.

The LCD folks will probably be disappointed. As usual the plasmas, Pioneer and Panasonic, came out on top. It's also interesting to note that all the judges picked the plasmas as the best.

A tasty quote:

But there is no doubt about it - plasma is king.

15. Blnkstare

Blnkstare Regular member

16. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Awesome! Sounds like an interesting read. Did they include tests with game consoles too?

17. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Oh Blnkstare... Just a tip. When you are quoting peoples replies, it's best to post your reply outside the quoted area. The way you posted made it look like it was all a quote. It wasn't until I looked closer I could see you added your own words in there too. :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  18. Blnkstare

Blnkstare Regular member

Yea, i noticed that after the reply was sent, but thanks for pointing it out to me

19. Scrappy22

Scrappy22 Member

Im not sure if Samsung offers it in 120mhz. Im sure they will, in time. They say they have a new motion blurring filter for the LED tech. but I have not seen it in action. They But it seems like you dont want to wait. My LG is 8ms refresh rate, I watch a lot of hockey & football & its fine. So, stick to 8ms and under.

20. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

The 8ms is response time, that is different to refresh rate. My Sharp Aquos has a 4ms response time and I'm sure other LCD's offer this too.

The response time is the amount of time it takes for a liquid crystal cell to go from active (black) to inactive (white) and back to active (black) again.

Refresh rate is the sampled frames per second. 120hz is 120 times per second. So if you divide 120 by 5 that gives you 24. So that means film recorded at 24fps is played back in it's original state.

Both of these are very important for smooth playback.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008