1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Linux Is For Me?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by jazo132, Jul 7, 2007.

1. rausted

rausted Member

Well, I don't really like ubuntu nor Gnome. I use sabayon linux which is an unstable branch of Gentoo. It has the same emerge system as Gentoo and comes with a million apps to do whatever you want. I don't like ubuntu because I think it is becoming the next windows. Everyone has ubuntu just because they are popular. If you insist on a Debian based distro(like ubuntu) why don't you use Debian? Anyway, I believe that when everyone uses an OS, this does not mean it is the best.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

true.. Sabayon is very good IF you have very good hardware and time to wait for things to install..

The largest user base (regardless of what the ubuntu people say) seems to be debian (38% of all hardware registered on the linux counter project is running deb ;-)

It really comes down to 3 type choices..

debian based (apt)
    redhat/fedora (rpm)
    gentoo (emerge/build from source)

With a few outsiders like slackware and the minimal systems..

Don't forget the real unix setups either.. I know people who love BSD and even a couple on QNX!!

I ran FreeBSD for a while, but you need a masters degree in patience if you want to do any multimedia editing/converting/burning with it.

There you have it.. Look at what you want to do with your system, and then read up on whether it's a problem or not... Debian has issues.. stability is a major headache with etch at the moment (which for a "stable" release really isn't good enough) and some bugs that have been around for ages and ages still haven't been fixed. It seems that every update breaks something else

The distro that is on the up is pclinux.. That is what I would suggest people have a try of unless they already have a dislike of rpm based setups.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2007
  3. lorddarkp

lorddarkp Guest

4. varnull

varnull Guest

hahaha.. I went through that test 5 times answering differently... every time it gave me ubuntu/kubuntu. I have used both but still have the dislike of the sudo always administrator nonsense. If you try to take it out lots of things break.. permissions seem screwy.

Skitzy .. is this what people were after? http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/index.php

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2007
  5. Spyder22

Spyder22 Regular member

I have just installed Debian 4.0 and i like it alot. Its easy to use (once you get used to it) and its very simple to install (as long as ur olny running one OS from ur HDD).

6. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

Spyder, Debain can be very easy to install even if you have more than one OS. Grub or LILO is very easy to configure during the install of your OS of choice, they tend to pick up a M$ install along with other *nix installs (I used to have a quad boot here but now a single Debian Lenny Install).

One word of advice, for 64bit installs, choose a 64bit distro, all 32 bit ones will run on 64bit hardware etc, but you may find that the running processes are only using half your CPU capability (just re-read ur specs)