1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which linux?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by orngcrsh, Apr 29, 2007.

1. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

I'm looking for a linux distro that is similar to windows (something that wont have a huge learning curve and that will allow me to surf the net, watch movies, listen to music, etc...) AND that boots fast and runs smoothly.
    Some cool graphics and effects would be cool too like that "BERYL" i've been reading about.
    I'm running a vista notebook with AMD turion 62 X2 tl-52 processor with 1 gig of ram.

And suggestions?

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i would recommend that you use ubuntu. it is the most noob friendly distro.
    here is how to install beryl
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-Edgy-Desktop-Effects-with-Beryl-44785.shtml
    ubuntu is good for beginners but after you learn to use it you should upgrade to something better, like debian. go to the ubuntu website to download a live cd. boot from the cd then when you have the desktop up run the installer. the installer is noob proof. if you want to dual boot edit the partition table manualy and create an ext3 partition for ubuntu. 15 gigs should be good. also a 1 gig swap. and if you want to share files between linux and windows make a fat32 partition. then let it install. hope that helps

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

xandros.

/thread. :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  4. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

You said to share files i should create a FAT32 partition? I think my disk is NTFS... will that make a difference? I also heard that ubuntu can be unsafe.. is there any truth to that?

also, would i be better off creating a partition or using a usb HD?

thanks for the advise!!

5. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

there are a few security issues, but it is the most noob friendly. if you dont want these security issues go with debian. it is a little harder to setup than ubuntu but it is a great system. in linux you cant write to an ntfs file system without downloading some extra software. you can read the partition but cant write to it. i would create a small partition that is fat32 so you can use the files in vista and linux

6. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

thanks!

7. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

The most newbie friendly would be OpenSuSE and Mandriva.
    Ubuntu's just a mess.

8. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

okay, now i've been looking at mandriva and it looks like you have to pay for it.. is this true? If so, let me clarify, i'm also looking for something that's free since it's just going to be a side project.

9. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

10. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

i'm assuming i need the x86 64 version, not the i586?
    i have an AMD turion64 X2 HP notebook

11. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

You could use either one, just because a system has X64, doesn't mean you HAVE to use an OS with a 64 bit architecture.

12. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

yeah i know that i have the 32bit OS but I figured that the x86 was what i had... oh well, thanks for the help

13. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

sorry, just confusion on my part...

14. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

I would stay w/ i386 to begin with.. just because not everything works in 64 bit (mostly just ads but you can intsall "opera" web browser and get around most of that, but still.. get use to 32 bit first) if you do decide to go with ubuntu, bookmark these pages.. it will keep you from asking stupid questions.. In other words.. this is .T.F.M.

If you install 6.10 - http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy

If you install 7.04 - http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty

although you won't hear a lot of support from the "AD" heads on ubuntu.. it is a great OS.. but what makes it the best in my opinion is the community.. which a newb needs in my opinion..

p.s. I know the ubuntu hater tribe gasp everytime they see me mention ubuntu.. but seriously.. It's a real easy system to "get the jist of things" but Jan is right.. "great out of the box" but it's a "pain in the arse to install sh1t on" but I want to point out.. that pain is system specific.. some thing's go great on one ubuntu box and are complete p.i.t.a. on another machines.. anyways.. you will try them all after you fiugure one out.. so for the simple time being.. pick one and run w/ it.. best advice I can give.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- i have an AMD Turion HP (not an X2) and i've been using Mandriva 2006.0 (64bit version) for a long time, it's perfectly stable. I tried 2007.0 64bit on the same laptop but Mandriva have been changing the way Broadcom wifi is handled and i couldn't be doing with messing about when 2006.0 works so well so i went back to 2006.0.
    I do use 2007.0 on a few machines (32bit versions) and 2007.1 (32bit) at work also. 2006.0 is so far my favourite of all old & new versions..

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  16. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

thanks for all the input!

Will linux work okay if I put in on an external HD? (using USB cable)

17. Amebaid

Amebaid Member

well i'm not that pro in linux but i first tried kubuntu but some how it was complicated for me then i tried open suse 10.2 which is just perfect so easy so good , and effective