1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which media is better?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dayoff, Nov 22, 2004.

1. dayoff

dayoff Member

Verbatim 25-Pack 4x DigitalMovie DVD+R for $10.99
    or
    Ritek RIDATA 4X DVD+R coded as RICHOHJPNR01 from Newegg?

I want to stock up on some of the verbatim while they are on sale but want feedback as to quality vs. the Ridata.

2. Soulreave

Soulreave Member

ritek all the way :)
    never had one coaster with ritek :)

3. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... It really depends on what the Verbatim discs ID out as ...
     .. If they ID out as MCC, then they are considered to be better than RICOHJPNR01 ...
     .. I think that this is a win win situation for you, both are very good media ..

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  4. sturski

sturski Member

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Verbatim

6. HaiTac

HaiTac Member

7. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

hello , i have bought that verbatim media you are talking about and disk identifier says it is MCC [Media]002 :) i have made a copy of a movie i own just to check out how it works , copy is flawless on the verbatim media . it was just one copy so far though . anyway i hope this helps you ? p.s. it says mitsubishi on the packaging and disk identifier says mitsubishi is good quality media :)

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

MMC Is the best you can get and this is why I say the Verbatim. Actually Pioneer is the best but good luck finding those because they quit making them. I use ritek right now and Have no problems witht them at all, but you asking what is better and I will still have to say the Verbatim.. So I am against Ritek on this one (even though that is what I use) So now I'm gonna get my butt kicked.. :) LOL

Happy T Day All

9. Unjust2u

Unjust2u Regular member

Hello, i wonder why Pioneer quit making these disks ??? Maybe they asked to much for them because they were the best and everyone just bought the cheap stuff?? maybe the plant burned dowm ? just always wondered why they quit ??

10. vatsim5

vatsim5 Member

Ritek and Verbatim made by MCC are excellent but by no
    means the best. Most knowledgable people on here would
    tell you that the number one media is Taiyo Yuden
    followed by Ritek and Verbatim. Never discount TY when
    talking about the best media. Zeide.

11. HiRezHead

HiRezHead Member

After reading several media reviews (Germany, UK & USA) I came to the conclusion that Mitsubishi (Verbatim) is producing the most reliable and advanced media, espicially DVD+R. Taiyo Yuden was beaten in nearly every review even by Ricoh.

My ranking:

1. Verbatim (MCC)
    2. Ricoh, TDK

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Vatsim5 I would agree with that asseement, but the question was which is better the Verbatim (With MCC ID) or the Ritek. He didnt ask about Taiyo Yuden. I would say the Taiyo Yuden's and the verbatim manufactured by misibushi chemical corp MCC are pretty darn close the same. The Ritek's (Which are NOT made by MCC) would generally be rated just below those 2. Again I am using the Ritek's right now because I got a great deal on them and have had no problems with them what so ever. I generally use the Taiyo Yuden.
    Check out this link about blank media this is from expert's and this is how they rate them.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Good luck All :)

13. HiRezHead

HiRezHead Member

Weird: When you buy SONY you get Ricoh, when you buy Benq you get SONY! Both are very good.

14. szon1

szon1 Member

I have tried verbatim digital movie dvd-r thinking it would be a better dvd,1 out of 4 were bad. Movie started to skip alot.Ridata 4x dvd+r I had no problems with them when I burned thru nero ,providing I set the burn speed at 4x. I have a plextor which can write up to 8x. When using dvd shrink on the ridata 4x dvd it wants to write it at 8x and than the movie starts to skip.I also tried TDK dvd-r 4x and had no problems no matter what I did.

15. dayoff

dayoff Member

All,

Thanks for you input. I'm still confused about the quality based on readings from this thread.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/128588

Qupte from other thread by qetuo: "I know that MCC and CMC are 2 different companies, BUT Verbatim outsources part of its production assisted by big taiwanese companies. So in this case some of Verbatim's production is made by CMC and they are entitled to use the MCC media code on these discs..."

Is this true?

16. HiRezHead

HiRezHead Member

No! Because when you read all the reviews and shootout's you will notice that CMC NEVER come close to MCC in terms of quality.

Some notice on Plextor: Some years ago Plextor made by far the best burners but their time is up. Now Plextor media and the burners have several problems. Just an example: The Plextor DVD-R 8x is made by Taiyo Yuden (TY G02) but I can't burn them on a NEC 2510A - all the other brands with TY G02 ID are without fault.
    The best media for Plextor is TDK and Maxell.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  17. nascards

nascards Member

ok now the great question of all times! media should I be using have been using memorex 5pack dvd+rw wal-mart best deal cheaper than new egg. I have been using dvd shrink and dvd decr. but now I have built a new pc. and am going to switch media so here is my nice new and fast computers profile.all ideas excepted.
    Dracula Mid Tower Case w/ 480watt ps
    Asus K8N nForce3
    AMD Athlon 64 2800+
    Corsair 512MBx2
    SAMSUNG 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    APOLLO nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card
    Sony 8x DVD+/-RW Drive DRU530A
    Sony 8X DVD+RW/-RW Drive DWU18A
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

thanks and happy burninnnnn

18. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

NO DVD+R.
    They're not compatible as much as dvd-r which is already not compatible to all. Use maxwell, the most expensive 1 i can find, they're on sale at office depot so come there n get them for 20 bucks for 50 pack
    http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=582488

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Congradulations on the new computer it looks good.
    You will find countless debates all over AD about which media is the best. What I would recommend is just search through here and read all the post and then make up your own mind.
    This is some what true but not really. The fact is DVD-R are more compatable with older DVD players and PS2's. The +R's are more compatable with newer equipment (as this is the newer format) There really isnt any difference as far as quality goes you wont be able to tell any difference. The biggest difference is 2 different companies own the rights to the two different formats.
    So back to the age old question which media is better? I would say which ever one works best for you. Neither one of your writers are dual layer so you can burn just about any type of media you throw in it except dual layer of course. What I will do for you is list media I have used that works perfecly fine for me. I can't really tell the difference in any of these as they all worked fine 100% Then I will list some that worked pretty good only a couple of coasters 90% Then I will list ones I had trouble with. Right at this moment I am using Prodic -R's x8. I really like these disks because I can print on them and I have perfect burns on them so far 40 out of 40.
    [bold]100%[/bold]
    Prodic
    Taiyo Yuden
    Fuji Film (made in jpn)
    Verbatim (Data Life Plus)
    [bold]90%[/bold]
    Ritek (G05)
    Sony
    Verbatim (made by CMC)
    [bold]Trouble Disk's[/bold]
    HP
    Imitation
    Memorex

Well that is all the disk's that I have used so I can't really speak about the others, and some people will have different results with this same media. So it very confusing I know. However there are some disk you really cant go wrong with here is a link that better explains the difference in media and what to look for when buying your media http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    You are making the right choice on switching your media though. If you look all over this forum there is nothing but bad experiance with Memorex. I will leave you with a few links on where you can purchase your media
    http://www.supermediastore.com/index.html
    http://www.rima.com/
    Total Media Inc

Have a nice day
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[bold]I'm really not sure why this posted twice? Can a Mod get rid of one? AD is acting up ;-) It could have been me... naaaa it had to be AD LOL[/bold]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Congradulations on the new computer it looks good.
    You will find countless debates all over AD about which media is the best. What I would recommend is just search through here and read all the post and then make up your own mind.
    This is some what true but not really. The fact is DVD-R are more compatable with older DVD players and PS2's. The +R's are more compatable with newer equipment (as this is the newer format) There really isnt any difference as far as quality goes you wont be able to tell any difference. The biggest difference is 2 different companies own the rights to the two different formats.
    So back to the age old question which media is better? I would say which ever one works best for you. Neither one of your writers are dual layer so you can burn just about any type of media you throw in it except dual layer of course. What I will do for you is list media I have used that works perfecly fine for me. I can't really tell the difference in any of these as they all worked fine 100% Then I will list some that worked pretty good only a couple of coasters 90% Then I will list ones I had trouble with. Right at this moment I am using Prodic -R's x8. I really like these disks because I can print on them and I have perfect burns on them so far 40 out of 40.
    [bold]100%[/bold]
    Prodic
    Taiyo Yuden
    Fuji Film (made in jpn)
    Verbatim (Data Life Plus)
    [bold]90%[/bold]
    Ritek (G05)
    Sony
    Verbatim (made by CMC)
    [bold]Trouble Disk's[/bold]
    HP
    Imitation
    Memorex

Well that is all the disk's that I have used so I can't really speak about the others, and some people will have different results with this same media. So it very confusing I know. However there are some disk you really cant go wrong with here is a link that better explains the difference in media and what to look for when buying your media http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    You are making the right choice on switching your media though. If you look all over this forum there is nothing but bad experiance with Memorex. I will leave you with a few links on where you can purchase your media
    http://www.supermediastore.com/index.html
    http://www.rima.com/
    Total Media Inc

Have a nice day
    [​IMG][​IMG]