1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of the 2 Vizio's to buy ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by abcc, Mar 5, 2007.

1. abcc

abcc Member

hi, i want to buy a new HDTV for our livingroom , im trying to decide, to get the Plasma or the LCD of the Vizio.

Plasma 50 inch 1080i
    LCD 47 inch 1080P

both are $1899 retail

in my living room i have a Samsung HDMI 1080i dvd player.

which one should i go for ?

Is the Plasma going to be too bright ? We currently have a 51" inch Hitachi HD-Ready in the livingroom , but i would like to get one of these two. And we are seated back on the couch only 10 feet away.

Thanks soo much, for all your advice, i knew i would be asking the Best of The Best on here, Thanks Again = )

2. abcc

abcc Member

3. UseeInHD

UseeInHD Member

Hi, i actually have the 42" LCD from Vizio and im extremely happy. It accepts 1080i but most knowledgable people would tellu that 720p is better to watch because 1080 is interlaced and is only upgrading your resolution to 768 instead of 720. Now my sister has the 50" plasma and it looks amazing and you can calibrate the brightness so that it wont kill your eyes. If you watch alot of espn, cnn, or anything with a ticker on the bottom of the screen because with plasma there is always the risk of burn in even though they have improved through time. If you are playing any kind of video games then LCD is the way to go. 1899 is an amazing price for a 1080p tv so thats definitely a no brainer but that only way you will see a picture in 1080p is if you are watching a dvd in a blue ray player and hooked up with an HDMI cable. There only a few blu ray players on teh market right now and they are all around 1000 dollars so you have to add that in as well, unless you want PS3 then its less. The human eye cant tell the difference between 1080p and 720p unless you are sitting 10 to 15 feet away from the screen but since you said you were about 10 feet away you should be good. Your choice of course but both TV's are a steal. Hope i helped you out.

4. UseeInHD

UseeInHD Member

Its me again, i noticed i typed a weird sentence there when i was talking about wathcing espn and cnn. What i was sayign was that you shouldnt go with the plasma if you are watching those channels alot since the ticker on the bottom might burn in and leave a ghost image. Burn in takes about 8 hours on the same screen they say but im not sure how accurate that is. I rather play it safe and get the LCD. Besides there is no glare with an LCD screen so you can leave the blinds open in your viewing room. Oh yea and i forgot to mention how when you are watching an HD channel on TV, you will see and upgraded 720p on the 1080p because it wont be broadcasted in 1080p till 2009, so they say. Thats, all, Good Luck!

5. UseeInHD

UseeInHD Member

Its me again, i noticed i typed a weird sentence there when i was talking about wathcing espn and cnn. What i was sayign was that you shouldnt go with the plasma if you are watching those channels alot since the ticker on the bottom might burn in and leave a ghost image. Burn in takes about 8 hours on the same screen they say but im not sure how accurate that is. I rather play it safe and get the LCD. Besides there is no glare with an LCD screen so you can leave the blinds open in your viewing room. Oh yea and i forgot to mention how when you are watching an HD channel on TV, you will see and upgraded 720p on the 1080p because it wont be broadcasted in 1080p till 2009, so they say. Thats, all, Good Luck!

6. ZafierX

ZafierX Guest

If I were you, I honestly wouldnt buy a ViZio HDTV if ur willing to spend that much money on an HDTV. Go for something a little better contrast ratio wise.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2007
  7. UseeInHD

UseeInHD Member

As far as the contrast ratio goes, the 47" 1080p has a contrast ratio of 1600 to 1 and that is the highest you will find in any LCD Television. Sharp, which is the leading inovator in LCD's, has a contrast ratio of 1300 to 1. I have the 42" which is also 1600 to 1 and the black levels look great, you might have to calibrate the brightness, sharpness, and contrast on the menu. I used a video calibration dvd and it adjusted everything perfectly. Most of the time when the tv's are right out of the box they are set for display in a store like on the floor where it is usually very brightly lite. So the brightness out of the box is a little high thats why you need to switch it up a little.

8. UseeInHD

UseeInHD Member

Just noticed that the new LCD TV's are out and some of them sport an immpressive 5000:1 contrast ratio, which is the highest ever. These can be seen in the 1080p Sharp Aqous and the Sony Bravia. Prices are dropping so if you are able to wait it out, you should.

9. Dnola3

Dnola3 Member

ust my input...If there any video games being played on the tv go with LCD definately. I had an akai 42" 1080i plasma...and after about 2 weeks of Madden 07 the score ticker was eternally burnt into the screen. anyways, if any video games are gonna be played, never get a plasma.

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

If you are a Cox cable customer, be warned, the highest picture quality that their box outputs is 1080i. Over the air stations are no better than 1080i in my area. Blu_Ray, HD DVD, Sony PS2 are the only 1080p outputs around, I believe.

11. Dnola3

Dnola3 Member

garmoon is right about that, I used to have cox digital when I lived in New Orleans...I got Dish network the other day, as it seems, 1080i is the highest output as far as hdtv is concerned with dish network...But off the topic, 300 bomb ass channels with this DVR shit rocks your ass hardcore :)

12. abcc

abcc Member

hi, yeah, i may go with a LCD 47 , but i do have to go and check both of them out in person to see which i like best. but still anything can happen in my decision, maybe one would be on sale more lol , my brother should be back from his vacations this week, then he should be able to pay me back what he owes me, and i can start tv shopping soon.