1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of these is better for storage?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by beanbags, Jun 14, 2007.

1. beanbags

beanbags Member

Hey everybody, I'm new to the site, so hopefully this isn't one of those threads that has been answered a hundred times ... I'm not trying to be "that guy" haha ... anyways, I'm trying to find the best way to store my DVD collection. Right now, they're in a wallet case and a couple empty spindles, which I know isn't the best. I have no idea what the best solution is, but I found these two:

DVD Slim Cases:
    http://www.shop4tech.com/item1853.html

Aluminum DVD Storage Case with Sleeves:
    http://www.meritline.com/cd-dvd-510-holder-wallet-holders-wallets-ehj510.html

I know you guys will have some say on this, so please help me out! I'm glad I stumbled upon this site, hopefully I'll be able to contribute more as I become more active! Thanks in advance!

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I would go with the Aluminum DVD Storage Case with Sleves. This protects them from heat (very important if they are burned), sunlight (which the other does too) and its weatherproof (I don't know why that would be helpful :D) It also keeps all the DVD's in one place I am using an aluminum case with my DVDs and I am very pleased with it.

3. beanbags

beanbags Member

Ok, awesome! Thanks for the tips! Are you using the same case or is there something better? I like how it keeps all of the DVDs protected and in one place, but I didn't know if it'd be better to have a separate case for each DVD ... easier to see, sort through, etc. The individual cases would take up more space, though.

4. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

My case is not the same but it is very simmilar. It is made up the same except it holds only about 100 CD's and it has a lock on it. I bought mine from Walmart.

5. kchev

kchev Regular member

I have been using these and they are great. They are the black single flex poly cases. They are the size of jewel case but are made just like dvd cases. They save alot of space and are real durable.

http://www.c4component.com/clam_shell_cases.htm

6. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Those are good but if kept in the sun long they could have effects of damage to the DVDs or to the extreme, the case melting. Those are still good, I use them too for my CDs rather than DVDs.

7. kchev

kchev Regular member

I wouldn't recommend storing any discs in the sun. :)

8. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Accidents happen :)

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I recommend a hermetically sealed vault. If you can't do that I'd go with the aluminum case, but that's really more a question of where I store them and how I keep them catalogued.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi beanbags,

Welcome to AD! I would go with the alluminum case for sure there isn't any better way to store your DVD's that I can think of. I have two of those cases one just like the one you provided the link to and one that holds 1,050. You can find your DVD's faster, they are stored the proper way standing up instead of laying down, they are protected from dust, and sunlight and they take up much less room. Combine those with using a program like DVD Profiler (google it) to catalog all your movies and you have an unbeatable system. I did buy my first case from Meritline, but just a little hint check out ebay I found one just like the one you have in the link for half that price :)

Here is the new sight for Profiler http://www.invelos.com/
    Also here is my collection online just to give you an idea of what it looks like My Movie Collection

Oh yeah one more thing unless you really want to be cramming movies in that case it won't really hold the number it states my case that is supposed to hole 1,050 will realitically only hold about 950 comfortably.

Good luck!

11. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

My son and I both use the aluminum cases. He has 2 of them, I have one, and we both could use another one (might check ebay). He used to keep all of his dvd's in 2 tall cd cabinets that he got at Ikea, but he got tired of the space they took up and after he saw my case, he decided he would like to have a couple of them. I don't think you can go wrong with these. I had all of mine listed on an Excel spreadsheet, but have recently began using DVD Profiler -- takes a long time to enter 500+ movies! BTW, if you also need guides, take a look at the ones bbmayo prepared. They are topnotch.

12. beanbags

beanbags Member

Thanks for all the tips! I was leaning towards the individual cases before, but I think I'll go for the aluminum case. I thought I'd like having a separate case for each, but I guess that would take up quite a bit of space ... DVD Profiler looks pretty cool, too, so thanks for the advice there! Once again, thanks to all, and I'm sure I'll hear more from everybody now that I've found this site =)

13. beanbags

beanbags Member

bbmayo, I had one more quick question - when you said you found a case on eBay for half the price, did it include shipping? The only ones I found on eBay came out to be the same price after you include shipping, but I didn't know if you found any for a better price ... thanks again for all your help!

14. sj586

sj586 Member

I have one of the aluminum cases, but don't use it because the sleeves fall out of the rails when I pick it up and carry it by the handle. Not all of the sleeves fall out, but every time it is picked up by the handle and carried about a dozen fall out. It would be alright as long as I didn't moved it. Maybe its just mine though. I got mine from Meritline http://www.meritline.com/cd-dvd-510-holder-wallet-holders-wallets-ehj510.html

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

beanbags,

Yeah I guess I was lucky when I got the one off ebay at the time because I am not finding them anymore (dang I should have got a couple back then) Oh well they still can't be beat, and to sj586 I am not sure why you are having that problem with your case and you might want to send it back because the sleeves shouldn't be falling out like that? Mine all stay in just fine when I pick it up by the handles it's not that I do this to often anyway, but I have just to see how they hold up. My guess is most people arent going to be lugging these around to much anyway (very heavy)

Cheers