1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one do you have?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by xupal, Aug 20, 2007.

1. xupal

xupal Member

hey guys i really want to get into linux because windows.. well it is one problem after another. so i was wondering which one do you guys use? if you could explain a little bit about why you use it. i have read many threads on which is the best linux and so far i havent found one i want to try because all i get is what ever one you like the most is the best. well i have only heard of ubuntu and kubuntu so i want to hear a few more that people like to use

thx

2. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

If you haven't tried linux yet you could get a KNOPPIX live cd/dvd and run it from that to get the feel of linux. KNOPPIX is a live cd/dvd only distro though. Meaning that you can't actually install it on your system. A KNOPPIX dvd can come in handy.(I used it to get my dad's password :)

Here is a list of the most popular linux distros http://www.linux.com/download_linux/

If you want to use a more advanced(but not as user-friendly) OS than you can use Debian. Which is what Ubuntu is based on.

I have used Fedora and Mandriva before but i went back to Ubuntu because there is a lot of support for it and is becoming more & more user-friendly.

3. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i like to use debian. it is light weight fast and reliable. it is not quite as easy as ubuntu to start with but it is a much better distribution. i have also heard some good things about sabayon. it has very good hardware support, looks good, and it beryl built in

http://www.us.debian.org/

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  4. xupal

xupal Member

alright thx guys... i think i will try ubuntu first and see what it is like. Debian sounds like i need a little bit a experience with linux. and just to make sure, i dont need any anti-virus with linux do i?

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i always install ClamAV on all my machines

6. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

You should install an anti virus, but you would still be safe even if you didn't because basically all viruses are .exe's , and are aimed at Windows.

7. xupal

xupal Member

alright thanks for the help so far

8. deadlove

deadlove Guest

As above.. I'm a debian user. It's not brilliant (read.. a few annoying bugs) but beats ubuntu hands down when.. and I mean WHEN, ;-) you have gained a little experience to find your way around the internals.

Sabayon.. if you have 64 bit hardware it's unbeatable. I have a few reservations about the default install, but burning with k3b straight from windows ntfs partitions is awesome. It must be a serious contender in the repair/recover stakes for crashed/dead xp systems. I was impressed, and that's not easy.. believe!

You really have 2 roads with *nix.. the n00b friendly "does it all for you" type of distros, or the more manual $$ older $$ type like slackware.
    As somebody who finally managed to get away from windows completely 18 months ago I'd suggest making life as hard as possible by going for a more basic "hands on" distro like slax. Depends on whether you like being frustrated and having things not work.. :lol: It's the best way to get a good grasp of the command structure quickly and getting a good level of control, but do be prepared for a lot of anguish and swearing.

For a really good taster, and something you can install in a minimal fashion check out damnsmalllinux or puppy linux which have really come on in the last 12 months. They even have ways to boot them from XP so no panic, nad they allow you the choice of either running with it or still using the things you are used to.

The *nix mantra.. as creaky will probably agree.. "while you have windows to fall back on when the going gets tough.. you will never fully make the switch". The only way to really learn to get the best from linux is to use it every day with no option to reboot into windows if something doesn't want to play. there will be hard times as you come to grips with a new way of doing things.. but!! I remember the first time I saw windows, and it was just as unfamiliar/new/strange.. now it seems old fashioned and clunky.. limited isn't the word, and it doesn't like running on sparc/alpha hardware which I'm stuck with because of poverty.

Go for it.. make a few new partitions.. better still find a spare 10 gig hdd and fully install *nix and enjoy the future, the power and the control you have over what you do with what is yours.. because windows is really the past, as vista will prove.

If you want to see what linux is capable of have a look here

http://www.juliaskitchen.co.nr

This is mine, built on an old pentium2 machine sitting in my house. It can't run XP so another use was needed. Ahhh the power of debian in action.

(ps.. admin activation of accounts in in order, I look every day, but if you want to join and think it's taking a long time drop me a pm here and I'll get right on it.)..
    Not trolling for members, just an example of what can be done.

9. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

I agree with deadlove on sabayon. I have 64Bit hardware and it runs like a dream for me so far. Ubuntu is on another partition (along with XP) but the 64Bit Ubuntu is clunky in comparison to Sabayon. I have ben using *nix now instead of M$ for about 4-5 months, after previously being in and out of it. I only have XP due to one program that I have still to get running under *nix (Epson PrintCD) but when i do, it is bye bye M$ (except in work dammit).

10. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Very minimal.. debian lenny core system and a few apps.. xchat, dillo (not happy with.. doesn't handle css but no alternative small browser, yet)and a couple of text editors.

system p2 266 with 32Mb ram running a graphic desktop from fluxbox and rox and average mem usage 14 -17 Mb free.
    Anybody know of a lean css capable browser which takes less than 10Mb running?

11. xupal

xupal Member

ok well i have photoshop, after effects, and i use dreamweaver do you guys have any way to get that installed or other programs that are just as good? i have heard gimp is a good alternative to photoshop does anyone agree?

oh and is there anyway to install steam on linux? because not that i do play a lot of games but i have cs and stuff so i would like to still be able to play it once and a while

anyway thx guys

12. killaklan

killaklan Regular member

u should go to http://www.osalt.com/ to find open source alternatives for your window apps, jus make sure its linux compatible

if you want to run steam or any other windows app, use wine (http://www.winehq.org)

as for gimp, its a bit more "hands on" and not as appealing as its counter part but if you have been image editing for a while you really shouldn't have too big of a problem

ps
    get gimpshop to begin w/...it looks and feels more like photoshop

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007