1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one is better DVD+RW dye RICOHJPNW11 or PHILIPS 041?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by JariKu, Oct 20, 2004.

1. JariKu

JariKu Member

Hello!

I'm going to order some media from Nierle and I'm not sure should I choose Philips DVD+RW media with RICOHJPNW11 or PHILIPS 041 media code?

- DVD+RW 4,7 GB Philips 4x Speed in Jewelbox 5 pcs [RICOHJPNW11]
    http://www.nierle7.com/s01.php?sid=...&pp=aa&bnr=2066

- DVD+RW 4,7 GB Philips 4x Speed in Cakebox 10-pack [PHILIPS 041]
    http://www.nierle7.com/s01.php?sid=...&pp=aa&bnr=2069

Are there any quality difference between those two?

I'm going to burn those DVD+RW's via NEC ND-3500A.

PS.
    I already now that Mitsubishi's (Verbatim's) dye would be the best, but those are too expensive.

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... This thread should be in the DVD-R section not the CD-R section ...

... Anyway my answer to your question is as follows ...

... In my opinion, RICOH dye is some of the best available ... while ... Phillips dye is some of the worst ...

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Well, I can speak from experience on this one. The PHILIPS 041 I have has recorded well and has worked flawlessly through multiple formatting and recording. Philips makes the RW for big name companies such as TDK as well as marketing it under their own brand. So, from my limited experience, I'd say the PHILIPS 041 is a decent item. The Ricoh merchandise is a favorite of mine, so until they start letting me down, I'll recommend Ricoh media.

On this one, I'd say it is a toss up. In this comparison, I'd say you'll probably not find a lot of difference in quality unless Philips has dropped in quality since may last purchase. Funny thing, good RWs tend to be around for a while. I use +R for most recording and the RW is for the temporary storage and reuse for watching stored video files I won't be wanting to keep or volatile data that doesn't need permanent storage. Both are good and compatible with most recorders. You could check the compatibility charts on the web to see if your burner is listed. If it isn't listed, it's no big deal. The media is compatible with most drives and being on the list is just a little added insurance up front. Always make sure your burner firmware is up to date (check the product website). Try a small sample of each of the media if that's possible and see if there is any difference on your equipment. Like a lot of things, this choice can boil down to a personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2004
  4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Moved.

5. bertiebas

bertiebas Member

Hi All,
    I've bought a sony dvd -recorder(home machine) which works on both +rw and -rw. Do you know which is the better format to use?

6. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Better visit the DVD recorder forum. I think there have been reported problems with DVD+RWs playing in any other DVD player (unplayable), but don't quote me. Buy a few of both formats and see which you like better.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I just purchased some Sony branded Phillips 041 and they have performed flawlessly so far. They are made by Daxon. Phillips was formally made by CMC (junk).

I first gave memorex one last chance hopeing I would get the Ricohjpn's, but got infodisc instead. Needless to say I returned these imediately. Never again will I buy memorex.

I wanted Maxell's (which have media code Ricohjpn W11 or Phillips 041) but my local store doesn't stock them. I don't think Maxell (unlike memorex) would buy their media from a company that doesn't have a good reputation.

Like Nephilim, Ricoh is one of my favorites but on the other hand I can't bad mouth the Phillips 041.

If anyone has had any bad experiences with the Phillips 041, please let me know. I can still take them back. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  8. brobear

brobear Guest

Mort81
    As I mentioned elsewhere, the Philips 041 is manufactured by Philips. You look at Philips as a brand or manufacturer, Philips is both. A brand may sell media manufactured by more than one manufacturer. In this case Philips (the brand) sells media other than that produced by Philips (the manufacturer). It's common practice for many brands to have multiple suppliers (manufacturers).

Statements such as "Daxon makes Philips" are the things rumors are made of. Where in the manufacturer code or the product packaging does the name Daxon or CMC become associated with Philips? Any association would have to be a manufacturer's code associated with a brand. In the case of Daxon, I've heard of no association with Philips. CMC appears to have caught on with a number of brands and they're selling the CMC manufactured products under many name brands (including the Philips brand); i.e. Verbatim, Imation, Memorex, and Samsung are just some brand names as well as the Philips (brand).

So far, the manufacturing codes have been a good indicator of what company manufactured the media. Tools like DVDInfoPro and DVD Identifier (freeware) can be used to read those codes from purchased media. If you run into a good batch of media in a brand and then suffer problems with another batch, check to see if it is manufactured by the same manufacturer and carries the same manufacturer's code. You can't rely on brand name to insure you're getting the same media each time.

Since buying branded merchandise is usually a safe bet; I'd say the branded Sony media is made by whoever the manufacturer code indicates. In this case the store sold you Sony media manufactured by Philips, not Daxon or another manufacturer. Simply put, you have Philips (manufacturer) media sold by Sony (brand).

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Ricoh

EMTEC

Sony

Tevion (Medion)

Memorex

RiDATA

Fuji

Imation

Traxdata

Hi-SPACE, MPO

PrimeDisc

I am aware the brands listed above, all sell +RW media sold by Ricoh (manufacturer) and carry the Ricoh code. I try to stay up with what top brands are selling. I am aware Maxell sells +R media manufactured by Ricoh and Ritek (current stock in stores). I was unaware Maxell was selling RW media made by Ricoh (manufacturer). I would appreciate other members giving feedback on the RW media they have purchased under the Maxell brand. DVDInfopro and DVD Identifier are free off the net to do the IDs. Identifier is the easiest (all it does) but DVDInfopro is a multi task tool (my choice).

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

My mistake brobear. You straightened me out in that other thread and I'm aware that the media code indicates who actually manufactured the media for the brand name on the disc. I was informed that the phillips 041 media was manufactured by Daxon on another forum. Guess I should have researched it prior to passing that info on to others. So far I'm quite happy with the Sony branded Phillips 041 media. Once again, my mistake and I apologize.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

No need to apologize. The media situation is a confusing one. The industry doesn't seem to be interested in clearing the confusion up for the consumers either. I know very little about what's going on except a lot of forum experts and some supposedly knowledgable sites are passing on contradictory information and some of it misleading. I just propose the interested consumers should start reading manufacturer codes and forming some of their own conclusions according to sound findings.

Sunstar, Philips, Speer, Samsung, Memorex, Imation, and Verbatim are some of the brands associated with CMC. Are you saying all those brands are bad because they sell CMC manufactured products? They also sell other manufacturers products as well as their own. (I know, a lot of forums knock CMC and I have questioned their quality controls at times.) Verbatim is an industry leader and the corporate brand is manufactured by Mutsubishi (MCC). MCC and Verbatim are under the same corporate umbrella it seems. MCC also is a supplier for other brands. What appears to be happening is that it is cheaper to source products than to try to make all inside one company. As a sales group realizes market sales potential, they fill the niche with a product; not always produced by their own company.

I'm not trying to make a point about CMC. The point is the confusion aspect and one brand - many manufacturers and one manufacture - many brands. One top brand like Verbatim can have a media supplied by a questionable manufacturer and one by an industry leader like MCC. (The reason I say questionable with CMC is that they had room for improvement and I haven't had any recent experience with their media.) The old addage, once burned... Anyway, I have more questions than answers. As I said before, I'd just like to see more people get answers to some of their questions from sound findings and not the rumor mills.