1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one is better?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Dark20, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Dark20

Dark20 Member

I am a new user and from what I was reading on the forums, either people are using DVD Shrink or ANYDVD. Which one is better? Also I have Nero 6 Ultra Edition, do I still need DVD decrypter? Also where can I find the scubpete guides?

2. orbiter5

orbiter5 Regular member

Hi,

I have Nero Ultra Edition too and I just use DVD Decrypter to rip the movies to hard drive then Nero recode 2 to make a copy.

Hope this helps

3. Dark20

Dark20 Member

So I don't need DVD srhink or ANYDVD? Where can I find the steps to do the burning when using NERO?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I use nero 6.0.0.21b and dvd shrink on 95% of my backups. Dvd shrink is having a harder time ripping the newer encryptions,but that is where anydvd by slysoft comes in. Anydvd runs in the background to help pull off the encryption.

Dvd decrypter is a nice program to have. It has a more powerful ripper and also has a burn engine.

Here is a great guide: http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html

5. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

You can't compare any of those 4. They are all completely different apps.

Get DVD Shrink for compressing DVD9's. Its free.
    Get DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD's, Nero can't ripping copyrighted dvd's, so you need it anyways. Besides, its free.

Only get Anydvd, if you come across a dvd that DVD Decrypter can't decrypt. I've burned hundreds of dvd's with Decrypter, without ever needing to use anything else.

If it's backing up retail copies you own, follow this guide:
    http://forum.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?showtopic=7984

If you're looking to

6. Dark20

Dark20 Member

What is a DVD9? Also Balaam you didn't finish your post, I think?

7. orbiter5

orbiter5 Regular member

Unless you like particular programs you don't need all of'em. I don't use DVD shrink or AnyDVD but others like them. Each to their own.

Use dvd decrypter to rip the dvd to your hard drive (remember to make a mental note of the file that it is going to) its shows you where when your decrypting it.

Then start Nero recode 2. Choose recode entire DVD. Then a new window will open where you will be given the option to import a DVD. Find the movie on your hard drive (normally on Drive (C:) select it and add it (there will be a green + sign in recode 2) click on that and choose what you want to copy from info from the DVD that's now on your hard drive(Main Movie) is a good place to start to burn just the movie only.

Hope this helps a bit

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

dvd-9's are the bigger,lots of extra bonus stuff dvd's.These will have to be compressed to fit on standard dvd-r,or use 1 dvd+dl disc.

Dvd-5's are the regular smaller-low budget movies.

Dvd shrink and dvd decrypter will work on either one Whether you are using a standard dvdr or a dual layer disc.

9. Dark20

Dark20 Member

I don't have Nero recode 2, just the first one Nero Recode. Is this ok to use instead?

10. orbiter5

orbiter5 Regular member

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Dark20,
    Ok here it goes.. AS far as DVD9 and DVD5
    [bold]DVD Sizes[/bold]
    The DVD sizes can be a bit confusing. There are basicly 4 different DVD Sizes,

DVD-5, holds around 4 700 000 000 bytes and that is 4.37 computer GB where 1 kbyte is 1024 bytes* . DVD+R/DVD+RW and DVD-R/DVD-RW supports this format. Also called Single Sided Single Layered. This is the most common DVD Media, often called 4.7 GB Media.

DVD-10, holds around 9 400 000 000 bytes and that is 8.75 computer GB. DVD+R/DVD+RW and DVD-R/DVD-RW supports this format. Also called Double Sided Single Layered.

DVD-9, holds around 8 540 000 000 bytes and that is 7.95 computer GB. DVD+R supports this format. Also called Single Sided Dual Layered. This media is called DVD+R9, DVD+R DL or 8.5 GB Media.

DVD-18, holds around 17 080 000 000 bytes and that is 15.9 computer GB. DVD+R supports this format. Also called Double Sided Dual Layered.

* In the computer world is 1 KB data = 1024 bytes so 4 700 000 000 bytes / 1024 = 4 589 843KB / 1024 = 4482MB / 1024 = 4.37GB.

[bold]DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL and DVD-R/DVD-RW exact sizes[/bold]
    DVD-R/DVD-RW = 4 706 074 624 bytes ( 4488 MB )
    DVD+R/DVD+RW = 4 700 372 992 bytes ( 4482 MB )
    DVD+R DL = 8 547 993 600 bytes ( 8152 MB )
    That should help you unerstand the differnce in DVD sizes...

Now on to the software you have mentioned this should help explain thier particular uses and let you make a decision on which to use or not...

AnyDVD - Is only used to strip a movie of any encryption out there right now. (most up to date!)

DVD Decrypter - Used to rip a movie to your hard drive in either "File Mode" or as an "ISO" while removing the encryption. Can also be used to burn an Image (.ISO) file.

DVD Shrink - This baby has all sorts of features, but basically it can rip a movie and remove encryption, but it is not as good at this as AnyDVD or Decrypter. It's most popular function is the ability to compress a DVD9 to fit onto a DVD5 disk. You can also reauthor a DVD using Shrink by removing unwanted sounds, video clips, and extras. You can also join or split your movies with shrink.

Nero's Recode - Basically the same as Shrink with the exception of not being able to remove encryption.

So you see you could use a number of these in different configurations, but none of them will work alone to put DVD9 onto a DVD5 disk. Now if you were using a DVD9 disk then you could use Decrypter all by itself. Here are a few examples of the combinations you could use..
    DVD Shrink + DVD Decrypter (Probably most popular)
    DVD Shrink + AnyDVD + Burning software (Nero, Roxio ect.)
    Recode + Decrypter
    Recode + AnyDVD + Nero
    AnyDVD + Burning software (1:1 copy)

Those are just a few examples. I would suggest you look at some of my guides (Link in my signature) and choose the one that best suit's your needs..

12. Dark20

Dark20 Member

thanks bbmayo. that helped alot. I appreciate it.