1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one of these dvd media should I get, is Generic really that bad???

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Gitaroo, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Gitaroo

Gitaroo Member

Ritek 50 Spindle 4.7GB DVD-R 4x (Inkjet Type) $84.90
    Optodisc 4.7GB DVD-R 50 Spindle 1x (Inkjet Type) $54.90
    Generic 4.7GB DVD-R 50 Spindle 4x $49.90
    Princo 4.7GB DVD-R 50 Spindle 4x $69.90

2. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

go to metitline , or supermediastore. both have better pricing. cheap stuff at around .52 each disc and good stuff aroud .89 - .95 a disc.

3. Gitaroo

Gitaroo Member

yeah but I really dont want to buy them online, and these media are the only one that I can find in a store. And they are all Canadina dollars.

4. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

ok, Meritline will sell to you. If you just want to buy them locally in store. I would go with name brand. You can also check out media type reports on http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia .

5. southrb

southrb Guest

Check out www.tigerdirect.ca. they sell in cdn $.
    They also provide free shipping under some conditions.

As to generic disks I bought a spindle of 50 with the
    following number on each disc-- "51 0305160206-09" and out of 35 used only 5 were successful. Some of the five played allright immediately after burning but
    when I tried to play them a week later they would not play. An expensive lesson seen as the retailer does not want to accept any responsibility. The salesman did, however, say they were generic discs from optodisc. It is apparent that the discs aare faulty in that the film around the centre hole is irregular and not a perfect circle. I would institute a class action suit if I could find out for sure whose media this is.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you don't want to buy online and can find Ritek in a store then get them. They cost a bit more, but are well worth it.

If you simply must try the generic/cheapies, I suggest buying them in small amounts to test out with your burner and hardware to make sure they'll work before you buy a whole gob of them only to find out they don't work.

Having said that, I'll repeat - buy the Riteks
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2004