1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one to buy

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by rayboy, Apr 14, 2005.

1. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

I am on the market for a stand alone DVD recorder. Would you recomment one for me please.

Thanks.

2. p5yco

p5yco Guest

you cant go wrong with panasonics, most are very well rated.

3. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

Roger that.

4. waarichtj

waarichtj Member

If you stick with a major label MOST of the time you will not be disappointed. I have said on this board before that much of this technology is put out to consumers way too soon. It gives to us products released with intermittent and irratic problems, that unfortunately most accept.
    I have had experience with the ilo and Sanyo DRW 500. The tuner is a question which comes up as a point of discussion. The ilo tuner was most definitely producing a distinct hum while the picture was not bad. The sanyo tuner was superior in that respect; they also make televisions and that is probably the reason why.
    In comparing the interfaces, the ilo graphics were superior and sanyo interface was very dos like as many have said. Although, I will take a very basic interface if a product delivers the end result we should and deserve to achieve.
    Media seems to be important here so DO NOT buy cheap, yet you can buy TDK, Maxell, Verbatim...at very inexpensive prices. In as far as format go with whatever you have at home in a dvd player, dvdforum.com will show you the manufacturers supporting the (-)sector. In that regard I find + a better way to go in as far as the way it processes information.
    Myself I am going to try the Pioneer at Walmart for $198 and change, it uses (-) formating; which should be an advantage being that I have Toshiba and Panasonic players. Walmart also has an excellent return policy, TAKE CARE OF IT, and if it does not perform you can bring it back.

Good luck. KEEP asking questions.