1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which one: verbatim, fuji, tdk

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by fishbulb, Dec 6, 2004.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i'm really bad about second guessing myself and my purchases. last week i bought a 50 pk of verbatim dvd-r spindle at best buy for $19.99. this week they have tdk 50 pk for same price and fuji 25 pk for $8.99. should i take the verbatim back and get one of the others? i've never used any of these and have heard mostly good things about all. BUT...the verbatim are not data life or data life plus or the movie reel type. is there a noticeable difference in playback quality in these? mine just say dvd-r, dvd-recordable. i want to be sure about this before i open them. thanx.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You really won't be sure about any of them until you open thaem and run them threw Disk ID program of some kind to determin the manufacture of the disk. All these brands outsource to get there disks manufactured. I f I would have to pick one I would say the ones that are less likely to be from a bad manufaturer would be the Fuji's. They are manufactured normally from a second class media or better. The other two you could get the best and you could also get the worst. Another good rule of thumb is to get disks made in Japan or Singapore.
    OK so now are you confused?
    Good Luck :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  3. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

thanx bbmayo. i had already read on here somewhere about the japan and singapore thing. i try to look for media w/ japan on it. these verbatim say made in taiwan which kind of worries me. i think i'll check out the fuji's before i open these. that would actually be a better deal anyway. i could get 2/25 pks for $2 less than 1/50 pk of the verbatim. :)
    thanx again.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

That sounds like a wise choice

This link may help you understand media a little better http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I'd keep the Verbatims (MCC maker)! The TDKs are TT-- and the Fuji 25-packs on sale are only 2X according to the website. Even if you get the 8X, some guy earlier said the Fuji 8X DVD-Rs were made by Prodisc. You got a great deal on the Verbatims so don't second-guess yourself.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

^^^^^^^^ False statement.

Verbatim disks are manufactured by several companies like CMC, MCC, YUDEN, RICHJPN, RITEKG03

If your lucky you get the ones made by YUDEN or MCC

If not you get the others. Ushually the Yuden and MCC disk's are made in Japan and most of the time they would be DATA LIFE PLUS Verbatim. The other you are really taking a shot in the dark on. SO you see not all Verbatim are good.

and what exactly is wrong with that? Prodisc isn't rated the best but it is damned close, unlike the CMC or RitekG03 they are the worst which is what you could end up with if you keep the Verbatim. Fishbulb asked what were the best ones to chance on and if you look at FUJI FILM they are manufactured by MMC, Prodisc, TayioYuden, RICHOJPN none of them are bad. So you see better law of averages would say you get better with Fuji if you really must buy at a retail store.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

thanx for the tips guys! keep 'em coming. about one of my original questions, is there a noticeable difference in playback quality of the different verbatim discs (data life, movie reel, etc.)? or are u just looking at possibly more coasters w/ one rather than the other and maybe a slower burning speed? oh, btw, i'm going to use them mainly to back up my dvd movies.

8. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

another thing, all this business about recording at 1x, 4x, up to 8x, or whatever, is there that much difference between them as far as how long it actually takes to burn a dvd?

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

fishbulb,
    fact is if you get the disk to burn and play in your player you probably will not notice a difference in video quality output. However the lesser disk will give you bad burns ie. movie jitters, freez, unable to play, and the dye will break down quicker.

Ok this all depends on your PC setup but average I would say
    x2 20 - 30min
    x4 10 - 17min (This is what I burn my movies at)
    x8 6 - 9min

Problem you really run into with higher speeds x8 and above is a lot of the stand alone players wont play them.

[​IMG]

10. tomripley

tomripley Member

Actually, I've used literally hundreds of Verbatim DVD-R's made in Taiwan, and I've never had a single problem. I think they're made by CMC under an OEM contract, but using MCC equipment and dye.

If you want 'genuine' MCC-media look for those made in Singapore, though I don't see the point myself. Doesn't really matter who owns the factory, as long as the quality is the same.

As for the DataLifePlus brand Verbatim is supposedly deemphasizing it on their new packaging, instead focusing on their name as the main brand.

11. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the TT means for the TDK -R Media. I have been using them and ran the DVD Identifier on it and it came up TT G01. I went to the link that shows that the TDK G01 is top rated as is the MCC. I have problems, but now think it is the player rather then the media.

Does anyone know what the TT means?

12. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

bbmayo, you may not have read earlier posts, but people reported that those specific Verbatims from Best Buy were MCC. As for Prodisc, I wouldn't put them up there with TYs or MCCs or even Ricoh and Riteks. They are 2nd rate media and is priced like it. As for these Fujis by Prodisc, someone here already reported problems with them. Fujis were primarily TY or Ricohs, but as said in earlier threads, T Yuden will no longer be making them for Fuji.

BTW, TT is just TDK's own label (they make them as opposed to CMC or Ricoh).

13. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

Hey DogBomb - thanks for the info on TDK.

I received the Prodisc DVDs and ran DVD Identifier and it came up MCC.

I am getting confused by reading too much.

MCC is supposed to be Rated # 1, but your reply states Prodisc is 2nd rate media. Does prodisc make different quality media and I just happened to get a good batch?

Please let me know.

thanks

Zenman

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

There will be people on here that have problems with certain media of course but if you look around the majority are having good quality back ups with the Prodisc. I have seen 1 guy who had problems with the taiyo Yuden disk does this make it bad media? Of course not. Where do you get your info on Prodisc beeing 2nd class? I suggest to do a search on the internet and read all the reviews. I mainly look at sights that sell media and see what the average user like yourself and me say about the media, and on just about every major company that sells DVD media on the web, well the customers all rate the Prodisc very high. I trust them more than these testing companies because I don't know who's hand they have there pocket in?
    I'm sorry but I have used just about every media brand available, and I would rate the Prodisk up there with all them others. You see I have 100% burn rate with Prodisc, 100% with TY's, RitekG04 95%. Bottom line is you are taking a lot of chances on the Verbatim because you don't know who they are manufactured by. If you have great success with the Verbatim then I'm happy for you :) Not everyone has, but not everyone has the same outcome with any media. I like to try all different media just to see formyself what works best, and I really havent any trouble with any except for Memorex which were manufactured by CMC so I tend to stay away from media manufactured by CMC, but thats just a personal preference.
    @ zenwarior Yes a lot of Prodisc now a days are beeing manufactured by MCC and this is a good thing :) I did do a search through AD and almost all the post's I read where good about the Prodisc.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

15. tomripley

tomripley Member

I'm pretty sure Prodisc manufactures all their media themselves, they've probably just acquired a license to use the MCC manufacturing id. Whether this means these discs will be exactly the same as "true" MCC discs, I don't know.

See the end of this thread for more info:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=71792&mpage=3

My advice would be to go for Verbatim if you want MCC media (MCC = Mitsubishi Chemicals, who also happens to own Verbatim).

16. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i know how u feel Zenwarior, all this reading and all these japanese names and abbreviations are hurting my head :^(.
    sorry if i'm beating a dead horse here guys, but i need your final answer on this. i have just the standard ol' regular verbatim discs. NOT data life, NOT data life plus, NOT movie reel. on a scale of 1-10 w/ 10 being happiest, how happy am i likely to be w/ these discs once i start "burnin' away?"
    thanx again for your patience, everyone.

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

That is totally immpossible to answer.

Depends on who manufactured them?

I will say I have never had any problems with Verbatim disk's (even the ones coded CMC) but people on here have..

So if you must have a number between 1 and 10 I will say 8

Hope that helps you out :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600

18. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

knowing that someone has had great success w/ them makes me feel pretty good. i guess i'll keep these. at about 40 cents per disc i shouldn't get too upset if i have bad burn here or there. plus i have some rw's i can still practice on too.
    thanx.

19. tomripley

tomripley Member

You should be just fine. Problems can always occur, though, so I'll go with a 9. Forget about the "Datalife" and "DatalifePlus" monikers, Verbatim seems to be phasing them out anyway.

And finally, to clear things up regarding Verbatim:

1) Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (MCC) is a Japanese company that (amongst other things) develops dye and stampers, both of which are essential in the production of recordable media. They then license this technology to disc manufacturers, presumably along with the "MCC" manufacturer id. Proof can be found here (page 31 and 38):
    http://www.m-kagaku.co.jp/english/investor/pdf/intoroduction2004.pdf

2) MCC also owns Verbatim. For obvious reasons Verbatim will make their media using MCC dye and stampers, since they already have the rights to these through their parent company. However, to save money they outsource the production to third parties. This is stated directly at page 38 in the document above, while page 31 mentions the actual location of these OEM partners: India (Moser Baer) and Taiwan (CMC).

3) This does not mean that discs produced at these factories are "really" CMC og Moser Baer media, since it is produced with MCC dye and stampers and to MCC specifications.

4) MCC owns a factory themselves in Singapore, which also makes Verbatim media. However, I've never seen any real evidence to support the theory, that media from this factory is of a better (or poorer) quality than that from their OEM partners.

5) It seems Verbatim occasionally also sells media with other manufacturing ids than MCC. I don't know why they do this, but I would guess it happens when demand is higher than expected, and they has to procure additional stock fast. But really, it seems to happen so rarely that I wouldn't worry about it.

Now, I'm not an employee of Verbatim, nor do I have any particular wish to defend (or attack) them. This is all based on my personal research, so feel free to point any errors. Things are probably done differently for their CD-R media (I would guess even more factories are involved), but I've never cared to look into it.

20. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

thanx tomripley! very informative. from what i've learned from this forum, as a rule i might want to stay away from discs manufactured in tawain. these verbatims i have were manufactured there. i guess that's one of my main concerns. but from reading your post, i probably shouldn't be worried about that.
    thanx.