1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which package?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by onliner, Jun 17, 2007.

1. onliner

onliner Member

hey all, I'm thinking of buying an Xbox360 some time this week. I have watched online reviews, and I'm not sure which to get. I know the 360 Core edition is a lot cheaper but only has the basic equipment, I also noticed that the core edition has got a different colour disc tray.

I would rather go out and buy the core system and then buy the extras at a later date. Just because that what works best for me.

What other differences are there between the premium and core package?

Would it really make a big difference if I bought the core system, and bought the extras at a later date?

thanks for any help

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  2. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

i think it will be cheaper for you to go premium then buy core and upgrade it!

i would stick with premium. but if it is too much money for you just wait a bit then buy it.

3. onliner

onliner Member

hey thanks for your reply...I'm going to try and find the best quality second hand Xbox 360 Premium as there only just over £200

4. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

if you go second hand, make sure you know what your getting yourself into. make sure its a newer console and it carries some kind of warranty if nothing more than 30 days.

5. onliner

onliner Member

k thanks will do ta

6. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

watch out it could be a 3rlod console that someone did a towel trick with to make it last like a few days.
    google it for more info.

7. onliner

onliner Member

i have two choices now, i could either buy a pre-owned xbox 360 core edition for £149.99 and buy the extra bits later

or i could buy a pre-owned xbox 360 premium for £199.99

which do you think is best?

8. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Premium,but if I could go back I would get an elite if it was out at the time..

9. onliner

onliner Member

ok thanks ill take a look at them

10. steimy

steimy Active member

personally i would not buy any used system at this point without some sort of guarantee. There is no telling what you will get. If it had ths red ring of death, or was refrbished by MS then you may just be buying a console that will break down on you in a short period of time.

The premium system doesn't really come with many useful things except the hard drive and headset. The rest of my add on's i had to bu anyway (wireless controllers, recharger kit and battery packs, VGA cable)

My advice is save up enough to get a NEW core system. Then add on when you can. That way your at least getting the 1 year MS warranty.
    Otherwise you may have to spend that money anyway since MS will fix your console if not under warranty but it will cost you $140 US Dollars to get it done.

11. wabashman

wabashman Active member

not to be totaly against you, but why would he want to buy a new core system and upgrade later. if he does this, as soon as he buys the HD, he is allready paying more than what a new premium system costs? then once you buy your first wireless controller, that the premium allready comes you paying an additional 50 dollars more. the best thing i think he can do is just buy a NEW premium system. he'll spend an additional 100 USD but hell save a lot more in the long run. i do agree with you saying that he shouldnt buy a used or refurbished console due to microsoft repair centers. and he shouldnt get a used one bc of all the bannings that have taken place. nothing would be worse than buying a console that you cant even get on live with. but those are just my two cents on the idea. so please dont get mad at anything i have said.

12. steimy

steimy Active member

wabashman
    I suggested that because some people do not want to spring for a hard drive, it is not needed unless you download content from Live anyway. They just buy a memory card. Personally i would save up for a new premium system. But that is just me. Some people want it now and want to get out as cheap as they can.

13. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

Here's what i think, and it's also what MS wants the comsumer to think:

i'm going to buy a 360 so I get the cheapest one, but I want to save games to i will HAVE to buy either a harddrive or a memory unit. HD costs $100 and Memory costs $50. $50 more gets you a harddrive which is lke 100 times bigger than the memory thing. so u get the hardrive, but for $100 u can get a premium instead of core and get a bunch of other things.

unless you dont want to save games, get a preminum.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  14. onliner

onliner Member

hey thanks for all your replies

i think what im going to do is save up for a NEW Premium console or wait until the Elite comes out and try and get that if i can

thanks again

15. goyankees

goyankees Regular member

best bet is new mate!!! imagine u getting ur used xbox and your already banned from live!! that would really suck!!! if you have an hd tv u should really consider the elite also cuz of its hdmi input, plus its black, ouuuuuu!!

16. WiganScum

WiganScum Member

Resist the urge to buy a second hand 360 my friend. As already stated you could finish up with a console which is already banned from live. If it's banned it will stay that way. Plus from a personal point of view I think the 360 is the most unreliable console I have ever owned. Mine is not without problems. If you buy new you will at least have peace of mind for 12 months with the warranty..

I bought a core with the intention to buy the extra's at a later date. It's been 14 months and my intention is to buy the extra's at a later date... The point is I never have, I never seem to have the extra cash. The Hard Drive would certainly come in handy though. Forza 2 for example requires half the memory of the memory card so I'm now low on memory for game saves and without a HD I can't download anything from live.

17. wabashman

wabashman Active member

the elite is out my friend!!!

18. onliner

onliner Member

wabashman

I know the Elite is out in the US but I'm in the UK and there hasn't been an official release date yet.

19. bailey07

bailey07 Regular member

Onliner,

Im from the UK too and I've seen a really great deal on preowned cores in GAME they are £169.99 with 1 year warrenty from GAME theirselfs.I was gunna get that but in the end I just bought a new core from there for £199.99 with 2 games and a memory unit free.

P.S you wont find preowned consoles on their website you have to go to the store to see preowned console deals.

20. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

o crap you guys don't have the elite. dang you guys had a real harsh release date from all consoles!