1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which paper is best for printing cd/dvd case??

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by sachin75, Feb 17, 2004.

1. sachin75

sachin75 Guest

Hi,

I have got my home movies for which i want to print professional looking dvd cases. I'll appreciate if anybody can suggest me which paper to go for and what printer will be suitable for that (any specific brand not very cheap or costly).

thanks in advance,

sachin

2. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

this weekend i was poundering your same question. you see i went to this store called "brandsmart" i think they only have them in florida, anyways.. i found these memorex 10pk dvd cases.. but they didnt bring the insert papers.. so i looked to see if there was any specially design insert papers.. and the store didnt have any, so i bought me a 100pk of HP photo paper "matte finish". and im very happy with it. looked at bestbuy.com for the dvd insert papers.. and the 25pk was $13 dollars, and i paid $12 dollars for the 100pk and its better quality of course. the memorex cases brought a program to print the inserts out, but i didnt use it, i recommend you use "sure thing cd labeler deluxe".. bottom line is.. no matter what paper you use.. you have to make sure you calibrate your printer first. im using a hp deskjet 3420 and it prints great! hope i helped

3. radiofree

radiofree Member

sachin,

I would think it would depend on your printer too - I use a Canon S300 (low grade for sure) and just regular hi-res paper and it looks pretty good when put into a DVD case printed at highest quality. As a side note, there is a website out there put out by a guy who calls himself Dr. Zaius who remakes official DVD covers which look better then the originals, in case you want to spice up your original DVD collection - I think his work is better then the originials for sure. As for the paper question, I think regular paper looks fine under the gloss of the DVD case plastic outer liner. I would only use glossy paper for those really special movies or gifts you want to give to someone.

Jdilla, where did you buy those DVD cases? Look online for some good deals - I get them for about $0.20 a pop online at stores like shop4tech.com - they are even the nice ones that have two inserts on the inside to hold two discs. there are a ton of online stores out there, i just go for the cheapest on things like this. DVD media is another thing altogeter...

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

If you want the highest quality looking DVD inserts, makes sure to buy double SidedPhoto Quality MATT paper at 200GSM +. I use Atlas 210 GSm paper - 50 sheets £5.

5. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

radiofree, i might of have over pay a lil for the dvd cases, actually i got them for 50 something cents each.. at the time it was the cheapest ive seen, but i checked with blockbuster and they sell dvd cases i thin 5 for a dollar. and about the dvd case inserts.. as the majority agree, use photo paper.. i prefer matte finish.. but what you are going to have to do is.. thats if you purcahse the 8.5 x 11 paper, you are going to have to attach a 2-3 inches more of a normal piece of paper so your dvd label will print entirerly. i just found this trick out today.

6. nermal

nermal Member

Well I guess everyone has their preferences but for me its Kodak Photo Glossy paper. Kmart has em on sale occasionally for $24 for 75 sheets. I've got a Canon i560 and use that free coverXP program from the cdcovers.cc website. All my covers look just as great as the originals. Just a thought...

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Only thing is, most originals dont use gloss, they use a high quality matt, because the gloss shines too much in the light.

8. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

yea i agree. matte is the way to go.. but you pay for whatever you want, or like.. personally i wont pay 24 dollars for 75 sheets, when i can get 100 pages of hp matte photto paper for $12 dollars..but again its your choice

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thats a pretty good price, i get as i mentioned 50 shets of double sided 210GSm matte sheets for £5

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thats a pretty good price, i get as i mentioned 50 shets of double sided 210GSm matte sheets for £5

11. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

Do you have a link for their website Oriphus or was it bought locally??

12. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

this respond is for people living in the u.s.a. i found out that at blockbuster they sell dvd cases. both type, sigle dvd cases, and they also sell the double disc cd cases. 5 cases for a $1 i dont know if all blockbuster's do this, but i know the one by my house does. check it out. good price if you ask me.

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

14. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

What would the benefit of it being double sided be anyway. Is it just for that *authentic* look, or does it also hold the ink better??

Either way its a great price fair play!

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Its a fair price, but basically the double sided doesnt show through to either side when printing. it works out great. trust me from someone who has over 600 back-ups using this paper :-D

16. radiofree

radiofree Member

I think you guys have convinced me here...

Do you guys know if this paper is purchaseable in the USA? Or do you know of a comparable paper/manufacturer here stateside that is of the same quality? I know some people mentioned the HP matte paper, but I didn't want to commit myself before looking further. Thanks!

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

It doesnt really matter who the manufacturer of the paper is, as long as you get a double sided and high GSM 200+ matte paper it will be good. Dont pay too much for it either :D

18. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

I have been using office depot photo paper it is.
    88lb
    8mils.
    230g/m
    and 200 sheets is $44.25 sku # 159580
    plus I get free delievery and order of the web with coupons get it down to around $35.00

19. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

Preyzuess.. you are paying way too much for paper man. here in the u.s. i found that stores like "costco" or "B.J's" (wholesale stores) sell matte or photto paper alot cheaper. i checked with bjs last time and they had 250 photo matte paper for $3 dollars. the highest ive ever payed was $12 dollars for 100pk of hp matte photto paper.

20. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

ok point me in the right direction. manufacture sku number or something so I can find it. even paper specs.
    Matte finish
    how brite etc..
    all help is appericiated :)