1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which program should I use when dvd shrink doesn't work on the newest dvds?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by snorkel, Mar 13, 2005.

1. snorkel

snorkel Member

Okay I originally bought Dual DVD copy Gold for $40, and found out that it works great, but can only copy unencrypted dvd5's. Thus, since most movies are encrypted and on dvd9's, this program is pretty much useless.

Then I discovered this site and I have downloaded dvd shrink and dvd decrypter and I have been using that method with 100% success in copying dvds (I still haven’t figure out how to keep the menu functioning when I have to split the dvd onto 2 disks, but that is not the purpose of this posting).

Anyway, I have read multiple postings about people not being able to copy newer movies because of some kind of fancy encryption that the studios (Sony) are using and that DVD Shrink is no longer improving its product. From what I understand, the DVD Shrink and Decrypter method that I have been using will probably keep working fine on older dvds, but not on the brand new ones.

Since I already wasted $40 on one useless program, I don’t want to keep doing that.

Thus, my question.

If you had limited funds, what program(s) would you use during the next year or two to copy the newest dvds?

I read that “AnyDVD v. 4.5.8.1" is good and about $40.

I guess that AnyDVD doesn’t do everything - just decrypt the new stuff, huh?

Can I use that to decrypt and then use my Dual DVD copy Gold (with its one step copying)? Or is there some other method.

What I am looking for is the cheapest and easiest way to burn the new dvds.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Do you rip with DVDD? Cause if not, you should. There hasn't been a dvd that it hasn't beenn able to decrypt for me at least. All I've ever used is DVDS and DVDD, and it's worked fine and free for the ~1000 dvds I've backed up, including the newer ones. The most I've ever had to do is make and import a little .psl file into DVDD, but lightning_uk over at the DVDD forums can help you there.

DVDD to decrypt
    DVDS to compress
    DVDD to burn

Since DVDD is frequently updated, don't buy another piece of software until you come across a dvd you can't decrypt with DVDD.

3. snorkel

snorkel Member

Thank balaam.

So far I have only copies about 20 dvds, but some are very new (Flight of the Phoenix, Troy, Ladder 49) and I have personally had no problems with DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. Like I said, 100% success so far.

I figured that I have just gotten lucky so far.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

The only movie that DVD Shrink has had trouble with , so far, for me, was Friday Night Lights. I used DVD Decrypter, and burned a DL disc copy, and all was right again................
    Good luck!

Are you using the newest version of Shrink?

5. snorkel

snorkel Member

the version that I am using is 3.2.0.15

i assume that is the most up-to-date version.

thanks again for all the input you guys are giving me on my newbie questions.

6. Smoke69

Smoke69 Member

I've also been using DVDShrink and in the beginning, the burns turned out okay and played very nicely on my commercial DVD player but later (the last 15 or so), the copys seem to be skipping scenes - every single one of them.

I've wasted 15 DVDs already trying to find a fix...now its just getting expensive.

Anyone have any suggestions?

7. GatlinGun

GatlinGun Regular member

Check and use good media. Find out if your player uses + or -.

8. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Hi Smoke,
    Have you changed media lately? If so Gatlin Gun is right. Without good media all is for not. What program are you using to burn?
    HW.

9. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

I also have been using DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter for awhile now and have had great success, about 30 movies now.

But I can't copy Friday Night Lights also.( keep getting an error message during backing up ) what's up with that ????

10. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Hey JVC,
    what's a DL disc copy????

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

smoke you might try removing the program and reloading it,that may work and use good blank media.have you done a disk cleanup and a defrag lately? keeping your system clean is important when making DVDS

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

dabig25 try running anydvd in the background that should work fine

13. YafaKlan

YafaKlan Member

ive had a problem with friday night lights, the bourne supremacy, and eternal sunshine of the spotless mind when it came to Backing up with DVD Shrink.

Anyway of getting around this issue?

14. hursty

hursty Active member

using anydvd is the easiest way
    or rip ir first with dvd decrypter

15. Smoke69

Smoke69 Member

Hi All,

I've been using DVD Shrink 3.2 for the software and am using Maxell medias (DVD-R)....I was told by the sales guy that Maxell medias were pretty good but this may have been a "sale" point of view. If this is the case, it is a shame because I bought a lot of media to back up my kids DVDs. Can anyone confirm if Maxell is good or not?

I'll try to some of the suggestions such as uninstalling then installing and doing some system clean up as this are the easiest solutions...hopefully this helps. If not, as a last resort, I may have to buy new media.

Thanks peeps.

16. hursty

hursty Active member

17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

iam not sure on the maxwell media,LOL, but Maxell is great media,Smoke try burning at a slower speed also

18. unknownu

unknownu Member

Even media of the same brand can be bad. Always save a stack of known good media to experiment with. Example... no problems with a few hundred Memorex. Bought a spindle of 50 at Compusa last week. I made 5 DVDs on ShrinkDVD and could read them on the writer drive, but could not on any of my other 4 computer standard reader DVD drives, which included 1 laptop. The home DVD player played them fine.... A real puzzler. Copied the same DVDs using "known good" media and everything worked everywhere. I tried to return the stack to Compusa... they didn't believe my problem, as Memorex is a great brank. They did, however, let me exchange the remaining 45 unused DVDs for some other, supposedly identical blank Memorex DVDs. They have different coding numbers on the inner ring, but, otherwise, identical to the originals. These DVDs work great in every DVD drive I have. Go figure!!!