1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which program to upgrade hard drive

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by annjee, Mar 14, 2007.

1. annjee

annjee Member

I the mod chip installed but I haven't flashed it. I want to turn my new hard drive into an Xbox drive and then lock it with the chip and then take the chip out.

I have had horrible luck with Krazies installer boot cd because it gave me the wrong eeprom. My question is what would be the easiest way to upgrade this hard drive. Which program do you know for sure works?

Thank you so so so much. I love this site.

2. theridges

theridges Guest

Flash your Modchip,
    then all you will have to do is put the new HD into the Xbox and then Download and Burn AID 3.0, burn AID 3.0 to a DVD and put it in the xbox with the new HD and it will Format the Drive for you :)
    then in tools on AID go to Config magic and lock the HD...

3. annjee

annjee Member

I tried flashing the chip before and all I got was a black screen. Right now I'm using the 256k backup bios. I'm afraid if I try to flash it and it goes wrong than I won't have a working chip anymore. Any suggestions on help.

4. theridges

theridges Guest

is it the X3 Modchip??
    because you will be able to reflash the chip without a hitch....the back-up 256k bios is just for a situation like yours....

5. annjee

annjee Member

Yes it is an x3 chip. I geuss I just really don't know what I'm doing. I mean, the hardware stuff is easy to me but I feel like I have less control over what's happening when I get to the software. I don't know how to put the switchs or where to flash the bios to, which bios to use, and what do I do if the biosflash doesn't work. Like when I flashed it the first time. Also, after I flash the bios will I be able to take the chip out and put it in another xox and the chip will still be flashed and work? Lots of questions. Thanks again!

6. theridges

theridges Guest

too Flash make sure the switches on the outside are set like this
    Bank 1234: on on off off

here is the bios for xbox version 1.0-1.5
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/aphyyv

here is for 1.6
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/lkgmxn

Download the one for your xbox version..extract the ISO file and burn it to CD(right click open in nero and it will prompt to burn)...
    then just put it into your xbox and choose flash from CD...it will flash and you will be good to go...
    and yes once the bios is flashed on it you can put it into another xbox...aslong as the xbox matches which ever bios you have on there..
    so if you put the 1.0-1.5 bios on there and then put the chip into a 1.6 xbox it wont work...

7. annjee

annjee Member

thnak you so much! I feel a little more confident now and am going to give it a try. I'll be back if I get stuck anywhere.

8. annjee

annjee Member

oh wait, i do have a problem. I don't have a dvd burner. Any other suggested methods of getting the bios on the chip?

9. theridges

theridges Guest

you dont have a burner period??
    even a CD Burner?

10. theridges

theridges Guest

you dont have a burner period??
    even a CD Burner?
    i mean you can use the FTP technique....

11. annjee

annjee Member

yeah i have a cd burner. I just used the Satiera Cd and Dvd burner program to burn the image. Not sure if it will work or not. I couldn't use the Nero trial cause I've aleady had it and it's expired. I tried burnig the image with a different program, I set the switches, and stuck in the Xbox and selected flash with cd. It said waiting for drive, but must not have been able to read it. I'm going to try this one and I'll be back in ten minutes. :) Wish me luck.

12. annjee

annjee Member

well that one didn't work either. Screen says "insert cd- flashing mode" then I insert the cd and it says waiting for drive. After about 30 secs it ejects the cd and goes back to the inser cd screen. It never flashed. It must not be able to read the cd. WHat do you think?

13. annjee

annjee Member

how do i use the ftp method? I have the new hard drive in the Xbox. I have the chip completely installed. How do I ftp into the box. Scratching head.

14. theridges

theridges Guest

do you have a router??

15. annjee

annjee Member

i only have a wireless router.

16. annjee

annjee Member

The wireless card hooks up via USB port.

17. annjee

annjee Member

I am able to hook the xbox up to the computer with a cross over cable and without using the router. Will it possibly work this way?

18. annjee

annjee Member

Also, I went and bought a couple memorex cd-rw's and then switched the dvd drive with one from another xbox. It tried to read the cd but then said, "No update bios found. Halting.."

19. theridges

theridges Guest

well you can use a crossover cable to ftp...

20. annjee

annjee Member

what i ended up doing is using xbhdm to build a new hard drive from scratch on my pc and then I locked the drive with the chip. I never did get it to flash but it works so I'm going to stick to this way from now on. Thanks for all your help!