1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which PS2 versions do not take DVD-R/RW?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Mr.MCSE, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Mr.MCSE

Mr.MCSE Guest

I read from a post that some "old" Playstation2 models do not work with DVD-R/RW. Can anyone tell me what PS2 versions those are? Thanks.

2. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

My Version 4 only reads DVD-R & DVD+R

Memorex Blue 3 pack

3. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

You should use only DVD-R/+R media. All PS2 versions support DVD-Rs, some just need adjustments done to them.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2003
  4. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

You should use only DVD-R/+R media. All PS2 versions support DVD-Rs, some just need adjustments done to them.

5. boy141

boy141 Member

First let me start by saying there are (as you all know) different version of the PLaystation2 console, how to identify it is simple, look on the back of your console and examine the model number - compare it to this chart :

Serial Number on rear of machine begins with:

version 1 = serial number (refer to yellow rectangle in right of image) start with "U1" and has 10 case screws.

version 2 = serial number (refer to yellow rectangle in right of image) start with "U0" and has 10 case screws.

version 3 = serial number (refer to yellow rectangle in right of image) start with "U2" and has 10 case screws.

version 4 = serial number (refer to yellow rectangle in right of image) start with 'U3' 'U4' 'U5' or a 'U6' and has a total of 8 case screws.

version 5 = model number contains the letter 'R' (refer to the red rectangle in right side of image) at the end (example SCPH-30001 R).

version 7 = 3900X is the new PS2 Version 7

Once you have esatblished what version you have, examine the limitations using this chart:

Version 1 - Basic playstation 1&2 Games no dvd-r,dvd-rw compatability, NO DVD+R, NO DVD+RW COMPATABILITY

Version 2 - Basic playstation 1&2 Games dvd-r,dvd-rw compatability, NO DVD+R, NO DVD+RW COMPATABILITY

Version 3 - Basic playstation 1&2 Games dvd-r, compatability, NO DVD+R, NO DVD-RW,NO DVD+RW COMPATABILITY

Version 4 - Basic playstation 1&2 Games dvd-r compatability, NO DVD-RW, NO DVD+R, NO DVD+RW COMPATABILITY

Version 5 - Basic playstation 1&2 Games dvd-r compatability, MILD DVD-RW, MILD DVD+R, MILD DVD+RW COMPATABILITY

SECOND GENERATION PS2
    VERSION 7 - (SECOND GENERATION PS2) Basic playstation 1&2 Games DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-R,DVD+RW compatability

The reason you can play dvd+,- ANYTHING is due to the fact that sony has implimented a new laser on the console that is more acurate then it's previous models.

If you want version 4 to read DVD-r, gotta buy the official stupid DVD remote, and use the CD that comes with it to Update the BIOS.

6. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

Where did you hear you need a DVD remote and need to update the BIOS to play dvd-r on V4 PS2s, I believe you're misinformed as all V4 systems I have worked with play DVD-Rs.

7. Mr.MCSE

Mr.MCSE Guest

What is the best chip, then, for V7 Playstation2? I heard about the no soldering chip. Is it worth buying that or just simply go for Magic 3.1? :)

8. boy141

boy141 Member

in one of the posts i've read, using the offical sony ps2 dvd remote comes with a cd. the cd is used to update the bios to get the remote working on a few systems (don't ask me how, but I will try this later when i go steal one in the mall tomarrow)

9. Mr.MCSE

Mr.MCSE Guest

So since the later versions are always better than the earlier ones, is it worth waiting for Version 8 or so? What do you guys think?

10. jr_

jr_ Guest

Who knows about ver 8. Sony may get smart and coat the boards with something that makes moding difficult if not almost impossible. I think there are several things they could do to foul modders or at least make it much more difficult.

11. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

I doubt there will be a V8 anytime soon, just get a V7, it's new and stable.

12. Mr.MCSE

Mr.MCSE Guest

Good comments. I heard Sony will make a "smaller" and cheaper version of PS2 some time this year - just like PSOne.

Just went to Circuit City today. Most of them are V7. So do I just buy the modchip or is it worth getting the clip?

13. camm69man

camm69man Member

I have a version 1 - is it true that it plays basic 1&2 only and NO dvd-r, dvd-rw compatibility??? Or was that just a typo - as no compatibility is in CAPS?

14. tigress

tigress Guest

Would it be worth it to ditch my current version 4 and get a version 7. I was thinking about investing in a DVD-R drive (because I currently have a DVD+R drive) and It would be nice to be able to play those +R backups. what do yall think???

15. jr_

jr_ Guest

I remember reading a thread in this forum from someone who had a v4 and used +R's There seems to be a lot of confusion and dis-information about what works with what.

16. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

No, there is no need to "ditch" your V4 system. V4 and above consoles are good and sturdy, it's the 1-3s that will probably fail soon if not already, boy hasn't been replying, but I'm pretty sure that V1 consoles work with dvd-r, but I haven't chipped any in a while. Mr. MCSE if you install the chip yourself a clip would be advisable.

17. tigress

tigress Guest

Unfortunately, keeping my V4 and wanting a mod (you know...for what we like to use mods for :) ) will also require me to invest in a DVD-R drive if I wanna play DVDrom backups...

still debating...

18. Mr.MCSE

Mr.MCSE Guest

supleh2. Yes. I am installing myself and I am really tempted to get a V7 and Magic 3.1 from you..hehe

19. ps2wizard

ps2wizard Guest

Does a v4 only accept dvd-r or can it play dvd-rw? I just burned a dvd based ps2 game onto a dvd-rw, i was just wondering if it would work. Thanks.

20. ps2wizard

ps2wizard Guest

Mr. mcse, did you end up getting a modded ps2 from supleh2?