1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which ps3 is better?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by IM1, Mar 31, 2007.

1. IM1

IM1 Regular member

im from the uk and wanted to buy a ps3.
    i heard that japanease ones are better because they are region free.
    if so whats the differences?

2. 3rdstrike

3rdstrike Member

uhh...they're all region free.
    for ps3 games only, ps1 and ps2 games are still region locked (ie you cannot play a japanese ps2 game on a uk ps3.)

3. kuehnau

kuehnau Member

Actually you might want to do your homework. I actually read somewhere that the UK edition of the PS3 has a crappier PS1 and PS2 emulation chip in it and because of that, the UK users are having a larger problem with playback compatibility.

Of course, then again this might not be an issue for you, so whatever.

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

They are the same but in a few months all the Ps3's wont have a Ps2 Emotion engine thus meaning Ps2 games will run via Emulation and all but aprx 1,000 of Ps2 and PSone games will work the others will need patches.
    But they are all the same thing none are worth it until proper games come a thing i'm dissapointed in the Ps3 and Wii they both have about 10 good games each and the rest suck and the good games arent comming for another 2 months or so.
    And there is no emulation chip all it is are the Emotion Engines exact ones from teh slim Ps2 meaning there is a Ps2 in there just like the Ps2 had Psone chips so it will run all games, when the emulation comes they will take the chips out and reduce the production cost instal an emulator for Ps2 and 1 games and then the Cell CPU will do the work but it will be the quality of a 360 running Xbox games so if you have a Ps3 now they are better then the Next VErison because they have teh chips I dont really mind I have one now but i dont play Ps2 games no more anyway and If I did why not use the Ps2?,But Wii and Ps3 are better.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  5. moomba

moomba Member

So, your saying that atm the ps3's on sale in the uk still have the emotion chip? I thought they were removing it for all of them?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  6. IM1

IM1 Regular member

so should i get a ps3 from another country then?

7. j2huggar

j2huggar Regular member

If you live in the UK you're pretty much SOL, because your version doesn't have the emotion engine in it. So you go and buy one from the US so you can have the engine, but then you're SOL because now you can't play your PS2 games on it because you have PAL games.

If I were you I would wait. Then if they never come out with a PS3 iso loader for the systems with no emotion chips you can find a used US version on ebay for somewhat cheap and maybe the iso loader will be released for the systems with the emotion engines. But if they do find a way for the iso loader to be on systems with no emotion chip, then you can buy one then in your local store and still play all of your PS2 games.

8. IM1

IM1 Regular member

i realy dont need a ps3 to play ps2 games.
    and most of my ps2 games are swap magic ones (sshhh! dont tell anyone. hehe)

9. SilvaJDS

SilvaJDS Regular member

i know HK versions plays all games
    Jap version does not play all uk games (f1 does not work i think )
    And any one know about the UK version does it play the games?

10. UKDude007

UKDude007 Member

I'm actually curious about your comments.

I am currently considering whether to buy US or HK PS3 since they are much cheaper than UK PS3.

But your comments about HK PS3 got me really interested. Where did you find the information that support your claim that HK PS3 will play all games?

And I assume your PS3 is from HK? which shop did you buy it from?

Many thanks for info and answer!

Cheers
    Diego