1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which rear projection TV for less than £1000?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bigmac999, Nov 18, 2004.

1. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

Hi,
    I want to get a new TV with a big screen. Was originally thinking plasma but am put off by the cost and the extra insurance, servicing etc.
    Can anyone reccomend a rear projection TV, around 52" widescreen, for less than £1000 GBP? I already have a surround sound system and DVD player etc, so its just the screen quality that is important for me.
    I recently saw a Toshiba one at Currys for £999, not sure what model but didnt buy it as I wasnt sure if it would be any good.
    Also does your room have to be very dark to see the screen properly, as this will be my main TV and I dont want to be in darkness every time I watch it??
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. bpitt

bpitt Member

If its just the screen quality thats important to you I would stay away from projection TVs. My sister has one she payed $1400 for and the quality sucks to me. The screen brightness changes everytime you move positions. If you want size and quality your gonna have to pay more. I've seen some 42" plasmas for as cheap as $1500 but I stayed away because so many people say the quality of a plasma deteriorates significantly witin a few years. Plus they're vulnerable to screen burn in. If you don't mind going smaller but getting a greater quality picture then I would recomment LCD. I recently got a 27" LCD HDTV for $1000. The picture quality is great especially on DVDs when using a component cable. Its not a name brand and not the biggest but I have a small living room and I dare anyone on my block to show me a better screen for that price