1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which router

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by redice, Dec 2, 2007.

1. redice

redice Regular member

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I'd go with the belkin.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I'd go with a LinkSys, instead of any of those.

4. RottenKid

RottenKid Member

From those choices: Belkin. But if your running a mac in the house "wirelessly" Macs dont like Linksys, something to do with the way the WEP key is configured, you'd have to disable security all together. People say just get a netgear, the way I see it without a mac in the house.
    1. Linksys
    2. Netgear
    3. D-Link

Ive owned all 3, but if its in home networking situtations, you should be fine.

5. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks and do any of you use a linksys wireless router? if so how is it? Is the new one that has 300mbps any good? i have heard that it was not any good.

6. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

i have a linksys WRT54GS v5 running dd-wrt micro v24 rc-5. runs great. my signal can be detected anywhere in the house now, because dd-wrt has an option to increase the wireless power.

if you do go with a linksys WRT router, look into third party firmware; it opens up more options for the router. also, if you increase the power, you'll need to look into cooling the router, because it's possible to fry the router. you'll need a vga chipset heatsink and fan set, one that has the heatsink separate from the fan.

7. RottenKid

RottenKid Member

Ok, i see the 300Mbps wireless router, but $50 says the port on your modem is 10/100Mps, so I found your bottle neck. I got Fios, yippy, so the guy installs fios, and I get my free router, well Its a 10/100Mbps, Im like I get fios and no 10/100/1000Mbps Router. He really didnt know, He just installed it, I cant complain though, I dont think youll ever see its full capabilities. Ive used atheros super G @108Mbps, I saw the difference over 54G. But Id go with N, for the sake of the distance and signal strengh....If this 300Mbps is alot more i wouldnt spend your money, because youll need a card that can do that for a laptop, if you havent already found one. The Apple TV has wireless B/G/A and that streams video!

As for linksys, I had one melt from radiator heat, and it kept working, well the case was very distorted. Really As long as you look at the setup manual, and see how the encryption is setup, you wont have a problem configuring really any type of router.

Look at your purchase from this view, you have a large area you want to get internet service in (alot of land/big house): signal strengh, distance, id go with N, but you'll pay more and you get wht you pay for. Id stay away from repeaters, but larger antenna that have highier DBi output are key awsome.

8. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

agreed on the antennas. i switched the stock 2dBi to the linksys HGA7T 7dBi, and my signal strength doubled.

dd-wrt shows that my wii gets 39-40% signal strength with the 7dBi antennas. the wii is in the living room, approx. 30ft away from the router. with the stock antennas, the signal would be 14-19%.