1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which software is the best to burn DVD's?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cwl, Jun 19, 2004.

1. cwl

cwl Member

Hi, I am a Newbie when it comes to burning DVD's. I have used the guides to convert a DVD to an SVCD with no problems. I feel now though that taking several hours a night to make an SVCD is not worth the hassle and will be getting a DVD writer. I have been looking at the guides, which are excellent by the way. I am curious as to which "guide & software" I should use? I would of course prefer something simple and quick. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

CWL

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Speed depends on your system and your media.

I use these combinations:

DVD Shrink w/ DVD Decrypter (both free)
    DVD Shrink w/ Nero ($49-$69 depends where you buy)
    AnyDVD($39) w/ Recode 2 (Comes in Nero)
    DVD43(free) w/ Recode 2 .. don't use this combo anymore since I bought AnyDVD
    DVDCloner2 ($59)
    DVDXCopy Platinum ($129 ... cheaper now)
    DVDRebuilder(free) w/ CCE Basic ($58)...This process takes 3-4 hours, but the quality is the best(IMO).

3. cwl

cwl Member

Thanks for the reply. I have a p4 2.5 with 768 ram. I am planning to use the DVD decrypter and DVD shrink programs initially since they are free. Reading the guide for the DVD decrypter it says you have to wait a "veeeery loong time"(2nd last paragraph). I realize it depends on the legnth of the movie but on average how long does it to burn a movie using these prgrams?

Also do you burn DVD at the max speed available from your burners or do you slow it down?

Thanks

4. RyanZ06

RyanZ06 Guest

Well dnt know about burning with decrypter cause aint done it use nero instead, but an 1hr 30mins very max for all id say ?

5. flip218

cwl,

Speed and time varies, depends on computers.

just a couple of facts: DVD Decrypter will rip and burn(ISO Files only). DVD Shrink will rip and compress.

So if you use DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter.
    Use Shrink to rip, compress and create a ISO file...then use Decrypter to burn. The only time you need to use Decrypter first is if Shrink can't crack the encryption.

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

cwl, flip pretty much covered all my favorite ways that I have had the fewest problems with except one.

Pinnacle InstantCopy 8 with anydvd or dvd43. Does an excellent job on compression, if I re-author I use anydvd and recode2. Recode does a great job re-authoring and still retains menu function, also very easy to use. But for a straight 1 to 1 copy with a one click program, the quality can't be beat on Pinnacle IC8, except rebuilder/CCE (which takes about 4 hours)

7. colw

colw Active member

A simple workable combination for successful ripping, encoding and burning is:

DVD Shrink (free) and Nero.
    DVD Decrypter(free)is also useful for burning ISO files.

They are enough to get you started. As you gain experience you may want to investigate other programs mentioned in this thread.

Have not as yet experienced any problems with this suite other than a couple of faulty originals

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

cwl, if you have nero ultra 6, then u have recode. dvd43 is free, nothing to do with that program, it just runs in the background, and allows you to go directly and open recode. flip mentioned anydvd, that takes the place of dvd43, works in the same way but isn't free(sometimes dvd43 causes problems, if you download it get the standalone version which doesn't require the patin couffin driver, you can get it at this site). Recode does a better job than shrink and retains a working menu. It is easier to use, it also has a preview slider like shrink to see what you want to keep and what you want to toss out. This is your simplest way to burn. You only use one program, recode, cos u also burn from there. Takes 45 min.-11/2 hour. flip covered this way, but I just wanted to let you know it is probably the simplest method of backing up a dvd. I only mentioned Pinnacle IC8 cos it does a great job, except if you re-author in which case, again, use recode. Anyway, you have some excellent choices here, no matter which way you decide to go.

9. cwl

cwl Member

Thanks everyone for your help.

cwl

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Ya think? Just for the hell of it, I re-read the entire thread. What a difference 1 1/2 weeks make. We all have completely changed our minds on our approach to dvd9 movies, also to some extent dvd5. As fickle as this bunch is nobody better take us seriously. lol
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What a fun two weeks, I'll bet we get better backups than they do.

14. flip218

Sophocles and Bigorange,

IMO I do agree Rebuilder w/ CCE Basic puts out the best quality.(And I've read you've incorporated programs like Remake and others). But keep in mind most people don't have 3-4 hours to do one movie.

P.S.

I'm glad you've started a thread about the extras used with Rebuilder... Soon I will get into using Rebuilder more. :)

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Guarantee you'll like it [bold]flip[/bold], especially with dvdremake. BTW, thanks [bold]sophocles[/bold], for the ASPI link in the other thread.

16. CaBlanton

CaBlanton Member

Have a quick question, i am new to the dvd burning world and i would like to know that if you burn dvd's that you rent is there any way to get caught. Can they tell anything different about the dvd once its been burned.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

CaBlanton

Any kind of discussion regarding piracy will get you banned from AD.

18. CaBlanton

CaBlanton Member

well i had a question just wanting to know if it is piracy. i havent done it yet because i dont have enough information. is it piracy to copy it for yourself or is it just piracy if you copy and sell. i dont want to do anything illegal so i need some more info.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you didn't pay for it then you have no legal right to the content. Copying rented movies is piracy.

20. CaBlanton

CaBlanton Member

thank you for the help, one more question. what is the best software for transferring home videos from a digital video camera to dvd.