1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which to buy DVD+ or DVD-

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by OHIOguy, Aug 11, 2003.

1. OHIOguy

OHIOguy Guest

I'm trying to figure out what dvd burner to buy and price is of major importance. I figured I'd post my question here and see what the experts have to say. Which media is going to take over + or -, I hope you all understand my question. So should I buy a DVD+RW/R or DVD-RW/R or a DVD+-RW/R. And I plan on playing these DVDs on a run of the mill DVD player, not PS2 or XBOX. Thanks for any and all advice.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

-R will work a lot better with most standalones and PS2

3. GraveLayr

GraveLayr Member

Its a gamble either way but I think + will be the king of the hill eventually

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I disagree, GraveLayr. I think -R will win out; even though the +R might be superior.

Sony has even begun to abandon it in favor of -R on the stand alone recorder.

It's likely to suffer the same fate as other formats that Sony helped develop. For example:

Betamax
    Laserdisc
    Mini Disc
    Digital Audio Cassette

I will give Sony credit for the CD, however. Looks like that one might become popular, eventually. (lol)

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

GraveLayr, as Ken says, i think you are wrong. There will never be a judgement day where everything moves one way or the other. The DVD Forum has accepted and endorsed the -R format, so it will not be loosing out to +R, thats for sure. More than likely the debate will move on to which type of HD DVD system to use in the enxt 2-4years rather than which format of the current DVD R system to use.

6. OHIOguy

OHIOguy Guest

So the consensus is that -R will be the eventual winner? And one more question for the experts: How do I know which format my standalone DVD player will play? Thanks for all your help.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No, thats not the conclusion i draw. The conclusion i have come to is that no-one is a winner. By the time we get around to deciding which is the better format, blue laser and other HD DVD systems will have replaced them!

8. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

You can check out your stand alone here: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Keep in mind that these are all user submitted answers, and they don't make you take an IQ test before posting. A friend's DVD player is on there and playing DVD-R, but if you go in and read all the comments you can see the people who said it would play made no comments, and the people who said it wouldn't gave detailed descriptions of all they tried.